FZ1000 M2 make lots of noise when turned on

Started 6 months ago | Questions
fbx Senior Member • Posts: 2,601
FZ1000 M2 make lots of noise when turned on

call me crazy.  Never noticed this before, but when my FZ1000 is on there’s all kind of grinding noises inside. Was taking some pix tonight in silent house, late, no other sounds, and I hear (for the first time) this light grinding noise, and in a minute realize it’s coming from camera. So I hold the body of cam to my ear and it’s loud in there, like it’s constantly adjusting.  And it’s constant—it does not stop until I turn camera off!  You probably wouldn’t hear it if you were shooting outdoors, and even a regularly indoors setting, perhaps. But lord! It’s loud and scary, like thugs are in constant and uninterrupted motion inside the camera. I figure it can’t be focus motors because they’d stop when focused, yes?

is the typical for this camera? I had a M1 FZ1000 and never noticed this.

fbx's gear list:fbx's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,301
Re: FZ1000 M2 make lots of noise when turned on

If you had to hold the camera body to your ears to hear the noise, then you know that the image stabilization is working correctly.

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 13,282

fbx wrote:

call me crazy. Never noticed this before, but when my FZ1000 is on there’s all kind of grinding noises inside. Was taking some pix tonight in silent house, late, no other sounds, and I hear (for the first time) this light grinding noise, and in a minute realize it’s coming from camera. So I hold the body of cam to my ear and it’s loud in there, like it’s constantly adjusting. And it’s constant—it does not stop until I turn camera off! You probably wouldn’t hear it if you were shooting outdoors, and even a regularly indoors setting, perhaps. But lord! It’s loud and scary, like thugs are in constant and uninterrupted motion inside the camera. I figure it can’t be focus motors because they’d stop when focused, yes?

is the typical for this camera? I had a M1 FZ1000 and never noticed this.

The Mk 1 makes the same noise (it's the same lens), but some cameras are louder than others. Also, once you've first noticed it, you always hear it, but you can own it for a while before you first hear it (eg, when using it in very quiet surroundings). Thereafter, you'll always be aware of it. And turning off OIS and AF doesn't help.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 687

I bought an FZ1000 ii some time ago and had the same problem. It emitted a constant loud noise. It bothered me so much that I returned the camera. I have never had that problem with any other camera.

Regards, Dave

wam7
wam7 Regular Member • Posts: 377

I had the M1 and it made the same grinding noise. It irked me quite a bit at first but after a while I got used to it. You only really hear it in fairly quiet rooms.

wam7's gear list:wam7's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VA Sony a7 II
OP fbx Senior Member • Posts: 2,601

Thanks to all. Also found another thread from a year or two ago, dealing with same subject. Apparently this is known "issue" and not a crisis, characteristic of the brand and model.

fbx's gear list:fbx's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
Anders_K Contributing Member • Posts: 892

fbx wrote:

Thanks to all. Also found another thread from a year or two ago, dealing with same subject. Apparently this is known "issue" and not a crisis, characteristic of the brand and model.

That noise can be a REAL issue when you do video with sound.

Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 13,282

fbx wrote:

These threads probably go back five years or so. Every FZ1000 makes the noise, but it appears that some individual cameras are noisier than others (or maybe some owners just have better hearing than others?).

I don't think it's a sign of imminent failure, and the noise level seems stable for each individual camera. It's mildly annoying for still shooters, but bad news for video shooters (look for the videos on YouTube starring the FZ1000 rumble).

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads