Birds A6400+200-600 and focus issues

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
danny006 Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Birds A6400+200-600 and focus issues

I'm getting good results with this combo but I still have issues with focusing on thin branches. And this is not normal because I checked with my friends 7DII and he could focus instantly on the same branch. I didn't have this problem with all of my previous cameras, Sony A-mount and Canon dslr.

If I hold the camera in vertical position then it finds the branch immediately. Looks like these are not cross-type AF points.

I wrote a complaint at Sony website and I hope they will do something with this information. Am I the only one with this problem, nobody else here?

Nuthatch

Buzzard

Buzzard

Buzzard

Buzzard

Grebe

Young coot

Mallard

Coot

Gull

Squirrel

Green woodpecker

Common greenshank

Common greenshank

Common greenshank

Gray wagtail

Chiffchaff

Wren

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a6400 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
SonyOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,340
Re: Birds A6400+200-600 and focus issues

I haven't tried my A6400 with the 100-400mm for birds yet.
Your picture quality is stellar! I have to follow your cue.

-- hide signature --

Words are wind.

SonyOB's gear list:SonyOB's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
PankajDubey Senior Member • Posts: 1,231

Very nice photos.

I have the same combo:

I used AFC- Expand flexible spot.

occasionally it goes back focusing but mostly it can focus on thin branches and the frond tips.

danny006 wrote:

I'm getting good results with this combo but I still have issues with focusing on thin branches. And this is not normal because I checked with my friends 7DII and he could focus instantly on the same branch. I didn't have this problem with all of my previous cameras, Sony A-mount and Canon dslr.

If I hold the camera in vertical position then it finds the branch immediately. Looks like these are not cross-type AF points.

I wrote a complaint at Sony website and I hope they will do something with this information. Am I the only one with this problem, nobody else here?

Nuthatch

Buzzard

Buzzard

Buzzard

Buzzard

Grebe

Young coot

Mallard

Coot

Gull

Squirrel

Green woodpecker

Common greenshank

Common greenshank

Common greenshank

Gray wagtail

Chiffchaff

Wren

-- hide signature --
 PankajDubey's gear list:PankajDubey's gear list
Nikon Df Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +13 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,263
danny,

Lovely series - I especially like the nice, low angle you can get to the birds on the water - and the lovely light on those.  Great selection of birds you have - and some lovely raptor closeups.

I haven't really experienced issues focusing on birds on branches with any of my lenses (on my A6600)...I believe the focus points are not cross-type points, though I just haven't found in any real-life situation where it has affected me, I guess because I've never really tried to focus on a very thin, perfectly horizontal branch with nothing on it - as long as there's a bird, bug, or something on the branch, there's bound to be some opposing lines and contrast that the focus system seems to find perfectly well.  Again - note I shoot almost all my non-flying birds and bugs and such in AF-S mode, with flex-spot focus point, so I'm not relying on the whole focus area trying to pick up that small object - I'm pointing my focus point right on my subject.  I've always shot this way by habit, and years of just being used to shooting that way, so I don't bother with all the eye-AF and detection type systems for that.  I use the tracking in BIF shooting, but for still animals I stick to what's worked for me for decades and I'm so familiar with shooting that way.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
MikeSul Contributing Member • Posts: 717

Danny006. The Sony hybred focus cameras do not have cross type AF sensors. They focus on vertical as you found by experience. It is rarely a problem.

MikeSul's gear list:MikeSul's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Pentax KP Sony a7R III Pentax K-1 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads