-- hide signature --

Estoi

Albufeira

Portimao

Ferragudo

Alvor

German/English Nex/A6000-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +2 more
idsurfer Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Need help choosing between Sony A6600 and A7III

wine540 wrote:

I have both cameras- a6600 and a7iii. The a7iii is such an easy camera to use - it has the buttons, dials and joystick that I miss on the a6600, but with the glass it is definitely heavier, bulkier and more of a problem to lug around. I use the the a6600 mostly for travel and wildlife. For travel the kit is so much more compact- wide angle 10-18 versus the ff f4 16-35 -feels like a ton! Using the 200-600 on the a6600 has offered me the most versatile camera/lens combo with real out to 900 mm equivalent - amazing! One date I grabbed the a6600 and mounted the Sony-Zeiss 55mm f1.8 for portraits-amazing results, but not better than the a7iii and certainly not for landscapes. Right now if I had to keep only one camera I would keep the a6600 mainly for the travel and wildlife use- fortunately I don't have to make the choice. Sony, when are the APC bodies going to have the functional ease of the a7's? Please soon!

This is exactly what I'm waiting for!

idsurfer's gear list:idsurfer's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
Cimarron Regular Member • Posts: 319

SNBLR wrote:

Quick background - I have been a serious amateur photographer for some time. I started with a Canon 40D + Canon 100-400 Gen 1 for quite a few years as the only pics I would take would be wildlife and birding. With 2 kids, opportunities to go to the forests dwindled and I sold off my gear. Later I shifted to the Nikon Camp with a Nikon D7200 + Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 + Nikon 70-200 f/4. This served my requirement for a few years. However, I started to trek last year, and I realized the importance of lighter gear. On some of the tough days (typically a summit climb) I would end up leaving my gear back, as it would be really tough, and that really really hurt. What's the point of carrying gear, if you cannot use it to capture the most exquisite scenes. A while back I sold of my gear, looking to switch to mirrorless and now am at the crossroads, on what next.

With this background, will call out my requirements

1. Not too heavy. Enough background provided.

2. Not too pricey. This is a hobby and I do not make money from photography.

3. Primarily for landscape and nature photography, with occasional family events/portraits. Also travel photography.

4. Will start only with wide-angle lens for landscapes. Will add max 1-2 more lens in the future - typically a 70-200 equivalent focal length, plus perhaps (not in the near future) the Sony 200-600 for occasional wildlife.

Given this, I was looking at the following two options

Sony A6600 with Sigma 16mm f/1.4 Lens

Weight: 910gm (503gm + 405gm)

Price: ₹133500 (₹99000 + ₹34500)

Sony A7III (preowned but with 1.5 years warranty) with Tamron 24mm f/2.8 Lens

Weight: 865gm (650gm + 215gm)

Price: ₹140000 (₹110000 + ₹30000)

Since the price gap and weight is not too different, I am confused. I certainly do not have the budget of buying expensive (and heavy) Sony G or G Master lens, nor do I see myself doing this in the near future. Any recommendations from the experienced members here. I am a newbie to the mirrorless world.

I'd suggest a third option: the Sony RX10iv. It meets all your stated needs, plus a whole lot more. It's a miracle of photo/video technology.

Cimarron's gear list:Cimarron's gear list
Sony a6600 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
losC41 New Member • Posts: 3

I was hoping to continue to use my A6600 as a 1080p webcam for Zoom meetings and calls with friends and family just as I had with my A6000.  I have a USB 3.0 HD capture card that is dead simple to use.  Zoom sees it as a video source without having to go through OBS Studio.  While the A6600 works with the capture card, the 1080p video from it is poor, and not as good as the 1080 from my A6000 using the same card.  Again, I see a lot of aliasing and compression banding.  If the subject is still it looks acceptable, but the slightest movement cause a posterization effect on the subject that I did not see on my A6000.  I tested this with the HDMI resolution set to auto, 2160p/1080p, and 1080i.  It is possible that the capture card could play a part in the poor quality, but as I said before, I didn't see these problems with the A6000 and everything else being the same gear.

losC41 New Member • Posts: 3

My experience has been that the viewfinder of the A6600 has so much aliasing that judging focus is all but impossible unless you use the focus magnification tool.  The aliasing is very coarse and high contrast.  By way of comparison, I found the viewfinder in the A6000 much smoother and clear of aliasing.  I still used the focus magnification tool, but the  viewfinder is nicer to use than the A6600.

Also, the real issue with the A6600 viewfinder is horizontal scan noise that I can see when these conditions are met:

Liveview effects are turned on (in video mode it is always on).

The scene in the viewfinder is at -1stop on the exposure scale in the bottom of the finder.

There are large areas of even tone in the scene, like white walls, carpet, a dark desk or table.

The horizontal scan lines can be seen easily as a "brushed steel" texture in the areas of even tone.  I had this appear in the first A6600 I bought, so I had it exchanged and the second body shows it too.  I am in contact with Sony USA about the issue now.   The scanlines do not appear on the rear LCD or the recorded files, or when Live view effects are off, as the camera keeps the exposure  bright in the finder.  But if I am shooting night interiors and what to check color temp. with the exposure preview, there are the dancing scan lines.  I tested this under continuous light sources like tungsten and window skylight.  Neither my A6000 or a loaned A7III showed the scan lines at all.

I think that it is some sort of processing issue or a resolution mis-match of some sort.

I will report back when I hear from Sony.  They are trying to reproduce the issue.

unhappymeal Contributing Member • Posts: 809

If this was my money, I wouldn't bother looking at the a6600. The "killer feature" of the Sony APS-C camera system is the Real Time AF. The A6100 gets you that. Going from the a6100 to the a6600 doesn't give you dramatically better features: the IBIS and weather sealing while nice, are not on the levels of something like Olympus or Pentax; it doesn't net you a better sensor; all three EVFs are nothing special; the a6600 doesn't give you a higher maximum shutter speed or faster continuous shooting; the ergonomics are virtually identical with the a6600.

Unless you are a videographer or absolutely must have the higher capacity battery, I would go with the A6100, save a bunch of money and put it toward lenses.

Aaron@Utah Senior Member • Posts: 1,628

for Hiking? I wouldn't pick either of those and would go with one of the RX100 smaller cameras probably one that has the 24-240mm equiv lens

small light very good image quality with the 1 inch sensor I have been very impressed with mine I have owned a couple of them and they never let me down

they are no wildlife setup though but very good for all the other stuff

I recently downsized weight wise that is to smaller lighter system of the A7III with the Tamron 2.8 trio 17-28mm 28-75mm & 70-180mm and have been very happy  but even then I would never go hiking with all of that gear but other younger venturers would probably not even blink at taking it all

If I did a lot of hiking I would be getting one of the superzoom and maybe a couple of small light primes such as the 20mm 1.8 for wide stuff and any night work you wanted to do as well

for me its about enjoying the outdoors and if my body is in pain from packing a bunch of gear up a mountain at the end of the day that's just not worth it for me any longer

-- hide signature --

Mac OS X: Because making UNIX user friendly was easier than fixing Windows.

Aaron@Utah's gear list:Aaron@Utah's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony a6100 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +16 more
sunhorse Senior Member • Posts: 1,800

Something is not right. I use my A6600 a month ago with a Camlink 4K with Zoom, MS Teams, and WebEx and did not see any of the problems you experienced. It may not be related to A6600 unless your camera is defective.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Sony a6600 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +2 more
An avid reader
An avid reader Forum Member • Posts: 73

Neither have I experienced those scan lines in the viewfinder of my a6600 you mentioned in your post. And the viewfinder of the a6600 is definitely better than the one of the a6000.

An avid reader's gear list:An avid reader's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) +3 more
gphome Contributing Member • Posts: 502

I would suggest full frame for one reason.... the Tamron zooms. Nothing beats them for price vs performance vs flexibility in the mirrorless world.

Start with the 28-200, then add the 17-28. Both of those lenses give you F2.8 at 28mm for low light (equivalent to a F1.8 in APS-C) and you get 17-200 range.

Add the 70-180 F2.8 zoom when you want to do indoor sports or portrait shots

gphome's gear list:gphome's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
gphome Contributing Member • Posts: 502

SNBLR wrote:

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. Based on the inputs and some research and going through a lot of online reviews (along with a lot of pixel-peeping) put this table together that summarizes my thought process right now.

Priority List

I am very strongly leaning towards the Sony A6600 with the Sony 18-135 f/3.5-5-6 Lens at this point of time. This seems to be the best bang for the buck. However, the prices of the Sony A6600 body is quite high in India. In USA, the A6600 has a 33% price premium over the A6400 (with even sweater package deals on Adorama). However, in India, the A6600 commands a steep 50% premium over the A6400.

Will perhaps wait for the A6600 prices to drop, or worst case would go for the A6400 body instead. Would certainly miss the IBIS and better battery capacity, but that's Plan B. That said, am in no rush to buy right away (though I have already sold my Nikon gear). With the pandemic situation, there is not much travel planned anyways.

Thanks everyone and please let me know if I have missed out something.

PS - In the meanwhile am also considering a Samyang 12mm f/2 (as a manual UWA option). Will pick up only if I get a good deal (new or used). Focal length of 18mm is not wide enough and anything wider would certainly help.

You should add the Sony A7iii with the Tamron 28-200 to this comparison, and the A7C with the 28-200 to be complete

gphome's gear list:gphome's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,281

SNBLR wrote:

4. Will start only with wide-angle lens for landscapes. Will add max 1-2 more lens in the future - typically a 70-200 equivalent focal length, plus perhaps (not in the near future) the Sony 200-600 for occasional wildlife.

Not to overcomplicate matters, but... have you considered the Sony 18-55? Its equivalent to (roughly) a 28-85 so good for wide angle, normal and portraits. It's small and light -- not as light as the power-zoom 16-55 but from what I understand its optically a better lens (dunno, haven't tried the 16-55).

I have an a6000 with the 18-55 and 55-210 (bought as a kit years ago) and love it. I take 90% of my pics with the 18-55, and its the size and portability that I love best about the camera. I shoot more film than digital these days but the Sony is the only digicam I've owned that I really love.

If you go to my Flickr page and view the Digital album, all of those were taken with the Sony. The EXIF will tell you which lens but most are the 18-55.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,491

The kit lenses (16-50 and the old 18-55) are not worth being purchased new. The 18-55 is not in any kit at this time. I have no experience with it, but a friend had one, but found it definitely not sharp enough on his 16 megapixel NEX.

The 16-50 is not bad though. And for either lens it seems you can be lucky or not.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
SonyOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,361

Not sure if I can help you but I got A6400 and A7III, both two. I feel good about my decision.

-- hide signature --

Words are wind.

SonyOB's gear list:SonyOB's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
OP SNBLR New Member • Posts: 5

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. I finally bought a used (4 Month old) Sony A6400 with the Sony 18-135 lens. The combination is quite compact but does not feel as light as I would have assumed (more to do with the expectations when you see the tiny form factor). Coming from a Nikon D7200, this feels like a toy. Will need to spend some time to get used to it. I also expect a steep learning curve specially with all the options to customize and the numerous focus modes.

The battery, certainly, is a downer. Will have to order a spare one (along with a charger) right away. At this point of time, at most, I plan to get a Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f/2 manual focus lens, if I manage to find a used one. These 2 lenses should suffice until I get a hang of things.

Thanks for all the feedback and helping me make an informed decision.

PS: I really wanted to get the Sony A6600 + Sony 18-135 Lens. However there are practically none available in the used market. My current setup costed me under 60% of what the A6600+Lens would cost me. Also being just 4 months old, this gives me warranty coverage for another 20 odd months.

SonyOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,361

You'll get used to the toylike impression and once you start getting your pictures right, there is no going back. I am trying to use my friend's 5D3 and it seems clumsy, heavy slow and half-blind. Just go out and shoot.

-- hide signature --

Words are wind.

SonyOB's gear list:SonyOB's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,495

The price of the A7III is tempting here. C$ 2300 including an SD 128 GB (170 mb) and an extra battery vs. the A6600 is at C$ 1900 (camera only). I've read a lot of youtube reviews between these two and it boils down to my existing gear.

I really like my existing Sony lens lineup which is a mixture of APS-C and FE lenses. I want that more recent AF technology plus the DXO PL4 Elite version with the fantastic Deep Prime noise removal clinch it for me. I can shoot ISO 12800 RAW without a problem with my A6500. So I'll wait for better deals on the A6600 next year. Hopefully it'll be just in time to do model shoots and shoot sports with it.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +13 more
Purplegreen Regular Member • Posts: 145

Congrats on your choice. IMHO it makes more sense to buy an A6400. Use the extra cash for a better lens.

For those who rave about better depth of field and subject separation with FF cameras, let me tell you what I do. When I shoot portraits (95% of the time) I bring down the Structure and add a little Focus Blur to the background in Luminar and no one would be able to tell what camera was used.

Purplegreen's gear list:Purplegreen's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,674

Purplegreen wrote:

Congrats on your choice. IMHO it makes more sense to buy an A6400. Use the extra cash for a better lens.

For those who rave about better depth of field and subject separation with FF cameras, let me tell you what I do. When I shoot portraits (95% of the time) I bring down the Structure and add a little Focus Blur to the background in Luminar and no one would be able to tell what camera was used.

Well, fake is fake :-).

One option is also to use sharpeing only on the person by a mask and not to apply that on the full picture.

I wanted to mention the TONEH discussion of Camera conspiracy. Although he enjoys making the mickey about T Northrup, he does have a point that there is the possibility of TOO MUCH blur, when the context of the background is fully lost. Also, sometime you need to stop down a bit even with f1.4 on APSC if you want to have more in focus than only the eye on one side, the other eye and nose already visibly blurred.

-- hide signature --

German/English Nex/A6000-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +2 more
Purplegreen Regular Member • Posts: 145

cxsparc wrote:

Purplegreen wrote:

Well, fake is fake :-).

You are right. But arguably even the "natural" bokeh of a FF 1.4 lens is fake. It's the result of a man-made contraption and not like the human eye would see

Your third picture (Albufeira) is absolutely stunning!

Purplegreen's gear list:Purplegreen's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads