Then, there was one: Sony leaving Brazil

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 26,131
Then, there was one: Sony leaving Brazil

As I considered starting a ML system, Nikon, my dslr system, left Brazil. I waited a bit, but more and more felt it would make sense to go with either Canon or Sony, as both had good presence in the country, Sony a major player in cameras, video, TV sets, games, etc.

They have just announced they are moving out, including closing a plant that makes TV sets in Manaus, a free-commerce zone.

Brazil’s economic and political situation is a total shame, but we are not the only such country in the Americas, and I include NA in that list.

Anyway, practical issue, it seems it’ll be Canon. Not nice not to have choices.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
LarryRC Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Re: Then, there was one: Sony leaving Brazil

rhlpetrus wrote:

As I considered starting a ML system, Nikon, my dslr system, left Brazil. I waited a bit, but more and more felt it would make sense to go with either Canon or Sony, as both had good presence in the country, Sony a major player in cameras, video, TV sets, games, etc.

They have just announced they are moving out, including closing a plant that makes TV sets in Manaus, a free-commerce zone.

Brazil’s economic and political situation is a total shame, but we are not the only such country in the Americas, and I include NA in that list.

Really sorry to hear that is happening.  With all that is happening to lose more jobs is hard.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 600mm F4
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,804
Blame rest with Brazilian Gov. (Insane) manufacturing requirement to sell electronic

The blame rest entirely with the Brazilian Government.  Brazil has an INSANE local manufacturing requirements on foreign companies to sell electronic.  That means foreign companies must setup expensive local factories just to sell a $100 USD phone. This WAS feasible when HDTV was popular & expensive.  But the HDTV price has fallen through the floor, It no longer makes sense to keep a factory open with hundreds if worker making cheap electronic that no longer sells.

Sony join a long list of Japanese, Chinese, Korean companies pulling out of Brazil.

With less competitors, less consumer choices, price of goods will always increase. Its simple economic that Brazilian politician fail to understand.  While I applaud the intention of manufacturing requirements to keep the locals employed (but) reality often falls short of theoretical.  Like they said, the road to hell đŸ˜ˆ is paved with the good đŸ˜‡intention.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,355

rhlpetrus wrote:

If all those other companies are pulling out, I wouldn't count on Canon not following them eventually. Unfortunate situation all around.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
ZilverHaylide Contributing Member • Posts: 663

So, being abandoned first by Nikon, then by Sony, is that what people mean by "getting a Brazilian"?!

OP rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 26,131
Re: Blame rest with Brazilian Gov. (Insane) manufacturing requirement to sell electronic

007peter wrote:

The blame rest entirely with the Brazilian Government. Brazil has an INSANE local manufacturing requirements on foreign companies to sell electronic. That means foreign companies must setup expensive local factories just to sell a $100 USD phone. This WAS feasible when HDTV was popular & expensive. But the HDTV price has fallen through the floor, It no longer makes sense to keep a factory open with hundreds if worker making cheap electronic that no longer sells.

Sony join a long list of Japanese, Chinese, Korean companies pulling out of Brazil.

With less competitors, less consumer choices, price of goods will always increase. Its simple economic that Brazilian politician fail to understand. While I applaud the intention of manufacturing requirements to keep the locals employed (but) reality often falls short of theoretical. Like they said, the road to hell đŸ˜ˆ is paved with the good đŸ˜‡intention.

Basically correct, but not a quick short story. It all started with automakers, just few, building plants here in the 1950’s with a promuse of a closed market. VW, Ford, GM, basically. Then FIAT sqeezed in in the 1970s. Even today, a small group tries to keep the market for themselves, obstructing any attempt for opening the economy. Electronics followed, including computers, etc.

The current pres started promising a change, forget it (besides, he and his family border on the lunatic, following the extreme right in the US, re climate change, vaccines, Covid, etc).

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
LarryRC Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Re: Blame rest with Brazilian Gov. (Insane) manufacturing requirement to sell electronic

rhlpetrus wrote:

007peter wrote:

The blame rest entirely with the Brazilian Government. Brazil has an INSANE local manufacturing requirements on foreign companies to sell electronic. That means foreign companies must setup expensive local factories just to sell a $100 USD phone. This WAS feasible when HDTV was popular & expensive. But the HDTV price has fallen through the floor, It no longer makes sense to keep a factory open with hundreds if worker making cheap electronic that no longer sells.

With less competitors, less consumer choices, price of goods will always increase. Its simple economic that Brazilian politician fail to understand. While I applaud the intention of manufacturing requirements to keep the locals employed (but) reality often falls short of theoretical. Like they said, the road to hell đŸ˜ˆ is paved with the good đŸ˜‡intention.

Basically correct, but not a quick short story. It all started with automakers, just few, building plants here in the 1950’s with a promuse of a closed market. VW, Ford, GM, basically. Then FIAT sqeezed in in the 1970s. Even today, a small group tries to keep the market for themselves, obstructing any attempt for opening the economy. Electronics followed, including computers, etc.

The current pres started promising a change, forget it (besides, he and his family border on the lunatic, following the extreme right in the US, re climate change, vaccines, Covid, etc).

Sorry to hear that. I still have tickets to visit Brazil in Nov and Dec. Im afraid it wont happen as the flights arent even happening at present. Not just sorry i cant visit but for the popke of Brazil given what is happening.  I lived in the Andes of Venezuela for almost a decade before that government was destroyed causing much hardship.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 600mm F4
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,423

ZilverHaylide wrote:

So, being abandoned first by Nikon, then by Sony, is that what people mean by "getting a Brazilian"?!

I’m not sure it is appropriate making jokes of a situation like this. What are you... some sort of Brazil Nut?

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

OP rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 26,131

LarryRC wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

007peter wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I still have tickets to visit Brazil in Nov and Dec. Im afraid it wont happen as the flights arent even happening at present. Not just sorry i cant visit but for the popke of Brazil given what is happening. I lived in the Andes of Venezuela for almost a decade before that government was destroyed causing much hardship.

I think traveling long flights will be safe only after a vaccine is in place, at least that’s my and my family’s view, as Brazil and the US still have a pandemic out of control, and Europe is undergoing an expected ressurgence of cases. What did people expected, really? This virus has zero seasonal pattern, just strict isolation now and a vaccine next can keep it under control.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads