Paint Shop Pro - 2021

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
savonie
savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,620
Paint Shop Pro - 2021

Howdy folks-
I'm a long time PSP user and was wondering has anybody upgraded to PSP 2021 yet? Specifically in regards to Olympus gear - Is it worth the upgrade from PSP 2020?
Thanks for any input -
Monty

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +5 more
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,558
Re: Paint Shop Pro - 2021

I did the update a couple of days ago Monty.  That said I really have not explored the new features.  It took a while to get it set up the same way as the old version.  You would think it would be a relatively easy task to have the new software 'look up the settings you used' in the old software and apply them so that the interface would look the same.  It would seem they are too stupid to figure out that people want that or it is more difficult to do than I think it should be.

So, I don't know yet if I wasted money or not.  I used the selection tool once and it did exactly what I wanted on the first try.  That almost never happens so if it was not a one time thing that will have been worth the cost of the upgrade by itself.

Andrew

savonie
OP savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,620

Thanks Andrew for the speedy response-
Monty

Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +5 more
TorsteinH
TorsteinH Senior Member • Posts: 1,291

I upgraded to PSP 2021 a few days ago from PSP 2020.

So far I have not tested the new functions extensively, but at least they are working. 😉 The AI upsampling worked very well on mye old photos from 2004 taken with a Casio QL-R4 that had a resolution of 1600 x 1200 px.

In general the program feels faster and snappier than last years version. This is only my subjective experience, but I'm quite sure it's so.

To be honest, I'm not sure it is worth the extra money, but I'm still happy with my purchase.

-- hide signature --

Torstein

TorsteinH's gear list:TorsteinH's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
savonie
OP savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,620

Thanks for taking the time to reply -
Monty

John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,408

I tried the Trial version of 2021 and the install was a disaster. It wouldn't run and corrupted my 2019 version.🥴 Corel support sent me a fresh install of 2019 so I'm good for now. I've used PSP for 15 years but use ACDSee Pro now 99 percent of the time - so much better for processing images!! YMMV.

TorsteinH
TorsteinH Senior Member • Posts: 1,291

John McCormack wrote:

I tried the Trial version of 2021 and the install was a disaster. It wouldn't run and corrupted my 2019 version.🥴 Corel support sent me a fresh install of 2019 so I'm good for now. I've used PSP for 15 years but use ACDSee Pro now 99 percent of the time - so much better for processing images!! YMMV.

Bad luck for you.

I have a fully working 2020 version as I have not unistalled it yet. And I had the 2019 version when I installed 2020 and so on...

-- hide signature --

Torstein

TorsteinH's gear list:TorsteinH's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,176

I also upgraded a few days ago and took the baits upgrading to ultimate package.

I tried the AI noise reduction and it seemed to work well on bugs and animal shots, but did ok for human face portraits. AI artifact reduction worked well on some but failed on the others. The AfterShot bundle did no better than Olympus Workspace.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,558

I already had the ultimate version from last year so only got the normal version update but the one that included the video processing as well.  I tried After Shot once years ago and have never bothered with it since.  There are a few other things in the ultimate package but I am not convinced they are worth paying for.

It does seem somewhat faster as well.  I have not tried the AI noise enough yet to have an opinion other than that it does reduce noise.  I need to try it more to decide if it is a worthwhile addition.  Topaz Denoise AI I found worked well on some portraits I tried it with but I only had the trial version.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads