Good alternative grip for ROS RP

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
iazybandit Contributing Member • Posts: 625
Re: Good alternative grip for ROS RP

Jack Calypso wrote:

I recently ordered one like in the second link, from AliExpress for about US$11. I need a plate with the anti-twist pins, and this should tide me over while I wait to see what ProMedia Gear comes out with.

Considering the RP has been out for a while now, I think PMG would have one already. If they haven't released one yet, I don't think they will. Late to the game as everyone would have bought the Canon version or other third party. As a business and to capitalize the market/sales, you need to have the product immediately or the demand will die down.

iazybandit's gear list:iazybandit's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III +1 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,933
Re: Good alternative grip for ROS RP: JJC

I got the JJC bracket grip for the RP and so far I've loved it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0836QMSRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits well, and has fine fit and finish. Some of the cool features:

• It's an Arca compatible plate. So it just slides on the Arca clamp on the tripod or monopod.
  • The battery access door opens.
  • Has a second ¼-20 hole in the base (I use that to attach my shoulder sling)
  • Has a carabiner ring attachment that flips up for use. Only fits smaller biners though.
  • Has slots to thread in webbing for a hand sling, etc (2cm).

The tripod attachment arca slots and the ¼ hole are especially a big deal for me. The Canon plate requires one to attach via the thumb screw I think, which wouldn't be good.

The con of the JJC, if there it is one, is that where your pinky goes there's a bit less to press against, so if it's just a better handle this might not be as good. But for $36US....

Basically it's a bit of an RRS knockoff without a few bells and whistles, which one might not need.

I've gotten a few bits of JJC gear recently, including their EF to RF lens adapter. Both work as advertised and fit really well. No play. Sturdy materials. I'd recommend them.

Jack Calypso Regular Member • Posts: 435

iazybandit wrote:

Jack Calypso wrote:

I recently ordered one like in the second link, from AliExpress for about US$11. I need a plate with the anti-twist pins, and this should tide me over while I wait to see what ProMedia Gear comes out with.

Considering the RP has been out for a while now, I think PMG would have one already. If they haven't released one yet, I don't think they will. Late to the game as everyone would have bought the Canon version or other third party. As a business and to capitalize the market/sales, you need to have the product immediately or the demand will die down.

Well, if they don't, they don't, but I am hopeful. I have one of their L-brackets on my 80D. I love the modular design, and how the PLX-3T upright part is offset forward, for full movement of the screen.

I'm really not concerned that much about the 'Grip" aspect, but more for a secure attachment for the QR plate. PMG does offer the PBX3 "Universal" plate for their system which would be Okay, although it lacks the anti-twist pins. A grip-style plate would indeed be nice, but I would be fine with the usual kind that don't cover the battery door.

Blokfluitist
Blokfluitist Contributing Member • Posts: 686
Re: No, not that way!

iazybandit wrote:

KENTGA wrote:

I hate to ask a stupid question, but what purpose does the RP grip serve?

Kent

For the pinky. The size of the camera is too small for normal sized hands. So your pinky ends up going under the camera which can make it a bit uncomfortable.

Canon has their own but its $80. With the 3rd party versions, its cheaper and has arca-swiss plate built into it. Some are L-brackets

Define 'normal sized hand'? LOL

Rose
-----
https://www.facebook.com/roseatkinsoncreative

Blokfluitist's gear list:Blokfluitist's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more
StefanD Regular Member • Posts: 476
Re: Good alternative grip for EOS RP: JJC HG-RP

robgendreau wrote:

I got the JJC bracket grip for the RP and so far I've loved it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0836QMSRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits well, and has fine fit and finish. Some of the cool features:

• It's an Arca compatible plate. So it just slides on the Arca clamp on the tripod or monopod.
  • The battery access door opens.
  • Has a second ¼-20 hole in the base (I use that to attach my shoulder sling)
  • Has a carabiner ring attachment that flips up for use. Only fits smaller biners though.
  • Has slots to thread in webbing for a hand sling, etc (2cm).

The tripod attachment arca slots and the ¼ hole are especially a big deal for me. The Canon plate requires one to attach via the thumb screw I think, which wouldn't be good.

The con of the JJC, if there it is one, is that where your pinky goes there's a bit less to press against, so if it's just a better handle this might not be as good. But for $36US....

Basically it's a bit of an RRS knockoff without a few bells and whistles, which one might not need.

I've gotten a few bits of JJC gear recently, including their EF to RF lens adapter. Both work as advertised and fit really well. No play. Sturdy materials. I'd recommend them.

I second this. I also use the JJC bracket. I prefer it to the Canon one because of the Arca compatible plate. I haven't tried the Canon one, but I suppose it does offer a little more grip than the JCC.

I use the flippable ring to attach my OpTech neck strap using a carabiner. The ring is locked in both the flipped-out and not-in-use position, which I really like because it doesn't interfere with tripod use.

I did try the hand strap attachment, but didn't like it too much because the height between the two attachments is quite a bit smaller than the width of my hand.

JJC advertises the possibility to attach a cold-shoe to the side, but that's a no-go: I tried my flashes and a generic cold-shoe attachment, but all of them didn't stay fixed: the attachment on the grip is simply too wide.

If you're looking for a little more grip, Arca compatibility and robust strap-attachment, I can only recommend the JJC.

Re: Good alternative grip for ROS RP: JJC

As I said, I ordered "the red one". I received it this evening. It's rather lightweight, but seems sturdy enough. I like the extra pinkie room more than I thought I would.

After I had ordered this, I saw that Sunwayfoto had a new one. What caught my eye was how it

reminds me of this:

This also arrived this evening. Sadly, the adjustment rods are like one millimeter different in spacing and a different diameter, so they are not interchangeable. (Drat!)

The Suwayfoto one is  a bit more solid, and noticeably heavier than the other one. It has a major flaw in that the base is pretty much a rectangular slab, not following the curving contour of the front, so the pinkie area is not as deep as on the camera. It's quite noticeable in use.

Neither one of these will allow the screen to be opened fully with the L component attached, so I would leave them off unless needed.

Received another candidate this evening, the Smallrig APL2350 . It's a very solidly built unit. It's even heavier than the Sunwayfoto one, but the pinkie tip area is beveled, so it's more comfortable to hold.

The vertical section is offset forward a little; not as much as the ProMediaGear stuff, but enough so the screen can be opened fully. You can't tilt the screen, though.

This one will probably be my choice for when I'm doing some "serious" work, but I'd still be likely to use the cheap lightweight one for casual walking around use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads