Good alternative grip for ROS RP

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
digitech1n
digitech1n Forum Member • Posts: 51
Good alternative grip for ROS RP
 digitech1n's gear list:digitech1n's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM
Toilet Roll
Toilet Roll Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: Good alternative grip for ROS RP

The Canon one looks classier and will blend with the body more. Shouldn't be that much more expensive than the ones you're looking at if bought used

Toilet Roll's gear list:Toilet Roll's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EOS R
digitech1n
OP digitech1n Forum Member • Posts: 51

I know. I do like the way the Canon model blends better. Perhaps I'll look at a gently used one.

- digtech1n

Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM
richardperson
richardperson Contributing Member • Posts: 751

I have the Canon one, and it does look nice.  But, I wish I would have waited for one with an Arca plate like the one in the link, or the one from RRS.  That would be super handy.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS-1D X Mark III +15 more
24thWanderer
24thWanderer Regular Member • Posts: 208

I got my red, OEM grip from Adorama gently used for $50. I saw a few around that price when I got mine. I looked at other options but the OEM grip just has a nicer look to it, IMO. I'd say wait for a good deal on a used one and pull the trigger when you see.

24thWanderer's gear list:24thWanderer's gear list
Panasonic G85 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +2 more
1017 Junior Member • Posts: 40

digitech1n wrote:

Looking at these two grips for my EOS RP that have L bracket attachments.

Anyone have experiences with these or similar products? Trying to avoid paying the $80 for the Canon OEM one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JJC-HG-RP-Extension-Grip-for-Canon-EOS-RP-Replaces-EG-E1-sturdy-and-durable-NEW/153803772611?hash=item23cf6b52c3:g:lfYAAOSwv9peJkba

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Release-L-Plate-L-Bracket-Metal-Hand-Grip-Holder-For-Canon-EOS-RP-EOS-RP/184208198695?hash=item2ae3aa0c27:g:zZQAAOSwclheD2-S

- digtech1n

I'm using the plate in your second link, the red one, works as it should and looks nice.

The side mount plate (to mount the camera vertically) does interfere with LCD though, you can't have the LCD outward and tilted upward as it bumps into the side mount plate.

The side mount plate however, is on a screw and removable. I keep mine off.

Hope I made sense there, I can post a pic if it's not clear.

digitech1n
OP digitech1n Forum Member • Posts: 51

This helps.

I think I'll pull the trigger on the second one as it's cheap enough. I'll just leave the L plate off for now.

Thanks man!

-- hide signature --

- digtech1n

Jack Calypso Regular Member • Posts: 271
No, not that way!

iazybandit Contributing Member • Posts: 505
Re: No, not that way!

Jack Calypso wrote:

I might pull the trigger on this. The bottom has a slot that allows me to put my Peak Design anchor links and I have no need for the L-bracket attachment.

I'm guessing you have this?

iazybandit's gear list:iazybandit's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,120

iazybandit wrote:

Jack Calypso wrote:

I might pull the trigger on this. The bottom has a slot that allows me to put my Peak Design anchor links and I have no need for the L-bracket attachment.

Well hopefully you don't put it on backwards like in the image.

Jack Calypso wrote:

Looks great!  Who doesn't want an extension for their left hand only?

tkbslc wrote:

iazybandit wrote:

Jack Calypso wrote:

Well hopefully you don't put it on backwards like in the image.

LOL

Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 6,809

I hate to ask a stupid question, but what purpose does the RP grip serve?

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more

KENTGA wrote:

Kent

The grip height is increased and you have a place for your pinky to rest so you can get more support for bigger lenses.

https://shuttermuse.com/do-you-need-the-eg-e1-extension-grip-for-the-eos-rp-camera/

KENTGA wrote:

Kent

For the pinky. The size of the camera is too small for normal sized hands. So your pinky ends up going under the camera which can make it a bit uncomfortable.

Canon has their own but its $80. With the 3rd party versions, its cheaper and has arca-swiss plate built into it. Some are L-brackets

iazybandit wrote:

KENTGA wrote:

Kent

For the pinky. The size of the camera is too small for normal sized hands. So your pinky ends up going under the camera which can make it a bit uncomfortable.

Canon has their own but its $80. With the 3rd party versions, its cheaper and has arca-swiss plate built into it. Some are L-brackets

My first day out with my RP, my pinky ended up under the camera, which didn't really bother me . . . at first. I soon realized that I was actually supporting the weight of the camera with just my pinky. Yes, the camera is incredibly light, but pinkies really aren't "load bearing" fingers.

So I ordered the Mcoplus grip. Great grip. The faux leather sticker was lifting at the ends. Got a replacement from Amazon and it was the same thing. Rather than returning both, I kept one of them and Amazon gave me a $10 credit. So I essentially paid just a little over $21 for it. What I did was take a heat gun to heat up the sticker/glue and put the edges back down. Once it cooled down, it seems to work. So far its been holding for 3+ days. Worse case, I'll either do the heat treatment again or just remove it completely.

Love that it has the Arca Swiss dovetail on it so I don't have to add a camera plate to it.

RexTremendae Forum Member • Posts: 90

iazybandit wrote:

So I ordered the Mcoplus grip. Great grip. The faux leather sticker was lifting at the ends. Got a replacement from Amazon and it was the same thing. Rather than returning both, I kept one of them and Amazon gave me a $10 credit. So I essentially paid just a little over $21 for it. What I did was take a heat gun to heat up the sticker/glue and put the edges back down. Once it cooled down, it seems to work. So far its been holding for 3+ days. Worse case, I'll either do the heat treatment again or just remove it completely.

Love that it has the Arca Swiss dovetail on it so I don't have to add a camera plate to it.

I have the Canon extension grip, it's nice, but, one fatal flaw, it's not weather sealed. With the grip attached water can enter the battery compartment behind the hinge in the grip extension. Oddly, there is weather sealing all around the rest of the battery door cover for the grip, but the hinge is definitely wide open and will let water in! Weird!

I would be interested if a company came up with a fully sealed grip extension.

RexTremendae's gear list:RexTremendae's gear list
Canon EOS R5

I recently ordered one like in the second link, from AliExpress for about US$11. I need a plate with the anti-twist pins, and this should tide me over while I wait to see what ProMedia Gear comes out with.

SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 183

I have the Canon grip extension for the RP. Pricey, yes, but it fits perfectly and improves the grip, particularly with front heavy lenses, like the EF 24-105 f4.0L or 70-200 f4.0L.

However, I bought a third party grip extension with a 2 battery capacity because it has a second, vertical, shutter button and, of course, two batteries. It improves handling too, but the camera is now a full size DSLR type camera. Not a bad thing, but sort of undercuts the small size of the RP.

I use the two battery grip if I am going to be shooting big lenses a lot, but the Canon grip extension stays on the camera 90% of the time. I haven't used the RP without a grip of some kind since I bought the canon grip extension.  Here is the 2 battery grip I bought.  It fits, it works.  The shutter cord can be positioned so it doesn't interfere with the LCD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZLP128B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads