Two very original ML !

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Maoby
Maoby Senior Member • Posts: 2,810
Two very original ML !

Two original cameras, which have kept their reflex type mount, with the advantages and disadvantages that this entails!

Comparative Between the Pentax K-01 (2012) and the Sigma sd Quattro H (2016-17)

See the set here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/maoby/albums/72157716019933131

Pentax K-01 (2012)
16.3 MP sensor (4928x3264)
Price: $ 600 USD
Photos taken with the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm f / 2.8 XS
(with a multiplication factor of 1.5) APS-C
ISO 100-12800

Sigma sd Quattro H (2016-17)
25.56 MP (6192 x 4128) sensor
Price: $ 1,200 USD
Photos taken with the Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Art
(with a multiplication factor of 1.35) APS-H
ISO 100-6400

Pentax K-01 (2012) / Sigma Quattro H (2016-17)

N°01 Pentax K-01 (2012)

N°01 Sigma Quattro H (2016-17)

N°02 Pentax K-01 (2012)

N°02 Sigma Quattro H (2016-17)

Your remarks are welcome !

Ricoh / Pentax should create a new camera, but this time with a good viewfinder ...

Maoby's gear list:Maoby's gear list
Olympus E-10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds +69 more
Pentax K-01 Sigma sd Quattro H
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,624
Re: Two very original ML !

Maoby wrote:

Two original cameras, which have kept their reflex type mount, with the advantages and disadvantages that this entails!

Comparative Between the Pentax K-01 (2012) and the Sigma sd Quattro H (2016-17)

See the set here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/maoby/albums/72157716019933131

Pentax K-01 (2012)
16.3 MP sensor (4928x3264)
Price: $ 600 USD
Photos taken with the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm f / 2.8 XS
(with a multiplication factor of 1.5) APS-C
ISO 100-12800

Sigma sd Quattro H (2016-17)
25.56 MP (6192 x 4128) sensor
Price: $ 1,200 USD
Photos taken with the Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Art
(with a multiplication factor of 1.35) APS-H
ISO 100-6400

What an interesting comparison!

Nice photos to accompany it.

Pentax K-01 (2012) / Sigma Quattro H (2016-17)

N°01 Pentax K-01 (2012)

N°01 Sigma Quattro H (2016-17)

N°02 Pentax K-01 (2012)

N°02 Sigma Quattro H (2016-17)

Your remarks are welcome !

Ricoh / Pentax should create a new camera, but this time with a good viewfinder ...

I'm not sure of all the lessons that can be drawn!

Sigma had a novel type of sensor, which hasn't really taken off.
But they have joined the L-Mount (mirror-less) consortium, giving them partners which provide them with a larger and more credible marketplace.
And they are developing lenses for an even wider marketplace than that.

Pentax has gone in pretty-well the opposite direction.
No partners.
No developments (such as lenses) that they sell into a large marketplace.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Ricoh GR III Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +29 more
Maoby
OP Maoby Senior Member • Posts: 2,810

The next step can be interesting, wait and see ...

Olympus E-10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds +69 more
Skip py Contributing Member • Posts: 966

Hi Maoby,

Thanks for sharing this comparison. I don't know which one is closer to the "real" colors, or to what you saw when you took the pictures, but they all look good.

Both are faring well after all these years.

How good is the Sigma's viewfinder ?

These cameras should be great for IR or Full spectrum conversions : at least the Pentax is fine with small lenses like the DA15 for example at 720nm.

Pentax didn't take the K01 as seriously as they should: they had (have?) a great base for IR and UV photographers, but Canon may have find the answer with the EF/RF adapter...

An electronic viewfinder would indeed be great now with all the technological improvements : with the K01, on sunny days, I have to use a magnetic magnifier on the rear LCD as a viewfinder!!

Regards, Fred

Skip py's gear list:Skip py's gear list
Pentax K-3
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,124

Skip py wrote:

Probably not very good

These cameras should be great for IR or Full spectrum conversions : at least the Pentax is fine with small lenses like the DA15 for example at 720nm.

The K-01 is super for IR. Have one full spectrum converted. Nice for both monochrome and color images.

The Sigma is more problematic. Only the lowest layer is really sensible for IR. And for Quattro this means half the resolution. And for Merrill it means noise. And I have not really seen so much fantastic color images. Even though, theoretically, you could get a color image with an IR filter. Which you cannot with a Bayer camera.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
Skip py Contributing Member • Posts: 966

Thanks you very much for all these informations !

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Skip py wrote:

Probably not very good

That was what I was thinking for a 2016 electronic viewfinder.

The K-01 is super for IR. Have one full spectrum converted. Nice for both monochrome and color images.

What lenses are you using for IR ? I mostly shoot with the DA15 and didn't try other lenses for hot spots. I still have to test my bulky Irix 15mm (I like this FOV on APS-C).

The Sigma is more problematic. Only the lowest layer is really sensible for IR. And for Quattro this means half the resolution. And for Merrill it means noise. And I have not really seen so much fantastic color images. Even though, theoretically, you could get a color image with an IR filter. Which you cannot with a Bayer camera.

It seems that every Maker has its little things to know... With its 25.56 MP sensor, I was hoping for something compact equivalent as a converted K3. Sometimes more pixels would be great.

Skip py's gear list:Skip py's gear list
Pentax K-3
Maoby

Sigma Quattro's viewfinder has a very bad reputation. And I confirm, it is very very bad.
But it's better than nothing (Pentax K-01)

I haven't used the Sigma for IR, to follow...

Thanks for your feedback

Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,624

Skip py wrote:

Hi Maoby,

Thanks for sharing this comparison. I don't know which one is closer to the "real" colors, or to what you saw when you took the pictures, but they all look good.

Both are faring well after all these years.

Pentax didn't take the K01 as seriously as they should: they had (have?) a great base for IR and UV photographers, but Canon may have find the answer with the EF/RF adapter...

I assume that Clip-In Filters can't work with dSLRs?
(Unless they could be inserted behind the mirror?)

This appears to be a niche feature that is easiest to use on mirror-less cameras.
(I'm getting tempted!)

An electronic viewfinder would indeed be great now with all the technological improvements : with the K01, on sunny days, I have to use a magnetic magnifier on the rear LCD as a viewfinder!!

Yes!
EVFs have come a long way in the last year or two.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Ricoh GR III Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +29 more
Maoby

Pentax K-01 (2012) / Sigma sd Quattro H (2016-17)

alex_virt Senior Member • Posts: 1,964

I've had Sigma SD9 and SD14. Terrible cameras, great image quality. Sigma SD Quattro – not so terrible camera, not so great image quality. Megapixels are aplenty but the old Foveon magic is gone.

The K-01 was a so-so camera with great IQ. I sold mine because of its slow autofocus and lack of a viewfinder.

Maoby

It is true that it is particularly unpleasant on sunny days. Blind framing guaranteed.

I also have the Sigma SD9, see here the comparison between the two Sigma
https://www.flickr.com/photos/maoby/albums/72157711306817163

Good weekend

alex_virt Senior Member • Posts: 1,964

Maoby wrote:

It is true that it is particularly unpleasant on sunny days. Blind framing guaranteed.

I also have the Sigma SD9, see here the comparison between the two Sigma
https://www.flickr.com/photos/maoby/albums/72157711306817163

Very nice series!

Maoby
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,635

Nice!

Both are quirky cameras, which is good in my book

I've used cameras from both brands, and actually like both. I've had a DP2 (original), DP1 Merrill and SD10. Kept the DP2; lovely colours. The files of the Merrill had an incredible "bite", but I missed EVF and/or tilt-screen for the focal length and typical use of the camera.

In general, I really like the interface of Sigma-camera's, very logical and intuitive, a bit better than Pentax but not quite at Leica-level. The Sigma user-manuals are also really good.

During spring this year, I was shopping for a new colour camera for slow photography, the SD Quattro (H) was also a contender. Eventually settled on the K-1 for more versatility in bad lighting conditions.

Also the Pentax-files require less elaborate processing, as the K-1's DNGs can be opened directly into Capture 1, whereas Sigma's files require a first conversion in SPP.  I've heard complaints re SPP, it would be slow on some PCs, although it runs smooth and fast on my system); but I simply don't like the extra step in the workflow. However, the Sigma-output is great (at base ISO)

Would love to see the full frame Foveon, but I fear this is now permanently on hold....

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
Maoby

I agree with you.
You did well, to have chosen a Pentax. I find the Sigmas particularly capricious, the AF remains to be desired.
It’s a fun device to use only occasionally.

Thank you very much for your feedback

Maoby
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads