Will there be long waits for the s5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
William777 Forum Member • Posts: 67
Will there be long waits for the s5?

As you may know, the Canon R6 is listed in Amazon as being shipped in one or two months from the day of purchase.

And don't even get me started with the R5.

Do you think there going to be a similar situation with the Lumix s5?

Or do you expect this camera to be more widely available for immediate shipping once it is ready on September 21st?

Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
katy C. Senior Member • Posts: 1,446
Re: Will there be long waits for the s5?

Wex Photo is showing S5 with 20-60 lens IN STOCK,

hope this helps,

katy

katy C.'s gear list:katy C.'s gear list
Canon EOS M50 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +6 more
OP William777 Forum Member • Posts: 67

katy C. wrote:

Wex Photo is showing S5 with 20-60 lens IN STOCK,

hope this helps,

katy

Thank you, but that's not an American website and it's selling for approximately $2,300, US dollars, when I convert the Euros, which is $400 more than listed in pre-orders in the United states.

ncsakany
ncsakany Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Hah, good one

I wish it were true, though, because I love the system. But alas the interest level just isn't there, so I'm sure there will be plenty to go around.

vinrouge0 Regular Member • Posts: 494

Got mine today from ukdigital - just checked and still some in stock. Should be on its way to me as we speak

jnd28 New Member • Posts: 11

For what its worth. My order status said that it would ship on the 22. Today it was listed as processed. They close at 1 today, and are not open until Monday. Sounds to me like it will be shipped early next week.

jnd28's gear list:jnd28's gear list
Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Leica CL Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R +1 more
Charles Hull Contributing Member • Posts: 710

The B&H site says shipping will start September 22.  I expect you could call B&H yet today, or on Sunday, and they would tell you whether they could ship one on Sept. 22.

1. Charles Hull wrote:

The B&H site says shipping will start September 22. I expect you could call B&H yet today, or on Sunday, and they would tell you whether they could ship one on Sept. 22.

Thanks everyone. I just placed my order with Best Buy and it will arrive on September 24th, six days from today.

t1m1t Regular Member • Posts: 104

My Amazon order is showing a release date of Oct 19 now.... Order was placed about a week ago. I don't know what to do since I filled out the rebate for the Sigma lens and the extra 3 years of warranty coverage. If I cancel and order at a different vendor, do those get canceled out on their own or would I have to contact Panasonic?

t1m1t wrote:

My Amazon order is showing a release date of Oct 19 now.... Order was placed about a week ago. I don't know what to do since I filled out the rebate for the Sigma lens and the extra 3 years of warranty coverage. If I cancel and order at a different vendor, do those get canceled out on their own or would I have to contact Panasonic?

My experience with Amazon is that they cancel the orders easily right away once you request cancellation.

Just cancel your order if you wish. you are getting a Sigma lens free which is pretty good, but on the other hand you have to wait a month.

t1m1t Regular Member • Posts: 104

William777 wrote:

t1m1t wrote:

My experience with Amazon is that they cancel the orders easily right away once you request cancellation.

Just cancel your order if you wish. you are getting a Sigma lens free which is pretty good, but on the other hand you have to wait a month.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, Amazon has usually been very quick with past cancellations. The issue I'm worried about is the free lens and warranty that I signed up for. I'm not sure if I should contact Panasonic regarding that information since the order would be canceled. Would they know the order was canceled before sending out the lens to me (if they were to)?

I would assume it all ships together in the same truck but I'm not 100% sure. So you should contact them just in case.

Charles Hull Contributing Member • Posts: 710

William777 wrote:

I would assume it all ships together in the same truck but I'm not 100% sure. So you should contact them just in case.

The way it works, Panasonic will first ship the pre-orders. Then they send an email to those that registered for the Sigma 45, and you respond with the serial number of the S5, and they send you Sigma lens.

So it is not clear with for situation with Amazon. A possible approach is to order a second S5 from someone showing earlier delivery, say B&H, and to register that order with Panasonic. Then after the earlier delivery ships, cancel the Amazon order.

A risk is that Panasonic may not accept the second registration. Another risk is that Amazon ships early and one ends up with two cameras. If I did this I'd place the second order by telephone to find out if the camera will really be shipped early. A conservative approach is to wait for Amazon.

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 41,675
VAT/GST - not a tax that gets charged in the USA

There would be a large slab of VAT included in that price - which is the European version of US State Sales Tax (with a twist as it is not a true Sales Tax but a Value Added tax and it would be charged at a substantially higher rate).

Not sure how it works over there but it should not be charged on goods exported. However have never seen any European vendor offering to rebate the VAT.  Maybe the paperwork involved is not worth the effort.  Maybe they just keep the difference.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 41,675
The FF dslr market seems to have tanked

t1m1t wrote:

William777 wrote:

t1m1t wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, Amazon has usually been very quick with past cancellations. The issue I'm worried about is the free lens and warranty that I signed up for. I'm not sure if I should contact Panasonic regarding that information since the order would be canceled. Would they know the order was canceled before sending out the lens to me (if they were to)?

“Move over please sir, as there is a queue forming behind you ....”

I doubt if Panasonic has anything to do directly with a private order.  Amazon (or whomever) buys directly from Panasonic. The retailer sells whatever stock they buy to the end user. There is no direct connection between end user and manufacturer.

Supply is just a factor of logistics.

Manufacturer guesses sale levels then makes pre-built stock to initial demand and then trims the production output to the evolving demand.

Outlets pre-order stock to what they consider their demand to be - accuracy varies world wide.

Guess too high and the Manufacturer ends up with unsold stock in warehouses .... guess too low (safer) and the additional feeding frenzy of early adopters will pass due to delays in supply.  Oh course generally speaking the dealer outlet has to sell what they buy - but large vendors may manage sell or return deals - especially with a new product.

Whether there is good supply or delays is more to do with the manufacturers sensitivity to risk as much as how well they have judged demand.

If the R5/6 is in short supply then it might explain just why there seems to be a fire sale on for brand new 5Ds, 5Dsr and 5DIV camera bodies at the moment.  The FF dslr market has obviously tanked.

The dslr may well be dead and buried and the scramble is truly on for the hearts and minds of the new FF ML camera market.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads