Meike MD-D18 died?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
dperez Regular Member • Posts: 339
Meike MD-D18 died?

Nikon D850 with Meike battery grip.  Worked FINE.  No problems with any of the EN-EL18(s).  9 fps all the time, battery condition in the menu.  Worked.

Until today.  Pulled out one battery, put in another.  DEAD.

The 850 knows there's a battery grip.  The green light on the body flashes.  But when I go into the menu there's no batter condition.  Just that there's an MB-D18 there.

Tried FOUR different EN-EL18(?) - 1 Nikon, 2 Wasabi, 1 DSGE.  NONE do anything.  All in their own BL-5s.

Same batteries work perfectly in the Meike grip on the D500.  Batteries are fine.

Took the Meike battery mount and put an EN-EL15 in there.   DEAD.  Same exact display.

Even took the AA carrier and put 8 AAs in that and and tried it.  DEAD.

Pulled ALL the batteries and let it sit in case the D850 needed to somehow reset.  DEAD.

Has anyone had one of these grips die?  Considering its been working and suddenly died, is there any chance the D850 has a problem?

Anything else I can try?  And yeah, for those of you who think dumping a grand for a grip and a battery is reasonable - I get it.  It's not going to happen.  So, ANYONE have any USEFUL ideas what else I can check?

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,999
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

Did you do a firmware update on the body that might have caused it?

Other than that, sounds like the grip just died. Try cleaning any contacts. After that and no go, buy another one. As you know you can get quite a few for the price of an OEM.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 2,100
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?
1

A quick idea (that may be an oversimplification):

I have a non-Nikon battery grip on my D610 (a Promaster) and D7000 (a Meike), but I never put a battery in either one. I use the grips to allow me an easier grip with my old arthritic hands.

But with no battery in the grip, the controls on the grip work - the shutter release and the paddle for moving the focus point are functional. Do these work with your Meike grip? Or are these functions dead, too?

If the shutter release on the grip also doesn't work, then I'd look for something that has interrupted the electrical connection between the grip and the camera. Cleaning the contacts, as already recommended, is the best first step.

If that doesn't help, you are faced with two sources of the lost contact - the grip or the camera. Do you have a friend/colleague who has a D850 with a grip and who would let you mount that grip on your D850? That would give you a definitive answer as to whether the problem resides in the grip or the camera.

If you can rule out the camera as the source of the trouble, I'd consider taking the grip apart. I had to open up the bottom side of my Meike grip as it wouldn't detach from the D7000 body at times. I found that a screw inside the bottom plate hadn't been fully tightened by the manufacturer and was distorting the shape of the bottom plate slightly and causing the demounting problem. Tightened the screw, put it back together, and the grip has served faithfully for several years since.

I don't see a down side to opening up the grip - if you leave as-is, you'll be replacing it. If you open it and cannot find the problem, you'll be replacing it. If you open it and damage it while trying to find or fix the problem, you'll still be replacing it.

Wishing you good luck!

 bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

Sorry, y'all. I keep forgetting this forum doesn't send me email unless I remember to check the box...

I haven't done any firmware updates since the update to C 1.11 and LD 2.016, which was quite a while ago. It's been working fine since long after the firmware update.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't take the old Meike grip apart 'cause they sent me a replacement...

New Meike grip arrived today. Put it on the D850. The DISPLAY is STILL the same, but the GRIP is operational. With or without a battery in the grip, all the buttons work. So, things WORK.

UNFORTUNATELY, there's no battery information for the MB-D18, and I can no longer get 9 fps with the grip. For whatever reason, the camera no longer sees ANY of the batteries in the MB-D18 as something that should provide 9 fps.

I've tried 2 Wasabi batteries and the DSGE, all of which have always worked perfectly. I had to give the Nikon battery back so I don't have that one to try.

SO, for whatever reason, things SORT-OF work. Everything except the 9fps and battery information in the camera.

Does anybody think doing a factory reset may do anything? I'll have to put about 8 millions settings back into the system, but if it'll get things going 9fps with the batteries that have worked in the past I'll give it a try!

orca_kkl Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

dperez wrote:

Does anybody think doing a factory reset may do anything? I'll have to put about 8 millions settings back into the system,

You may be able to save most if not all settings on the memory card before resetting your camera. Load the settings back to the camera from the memory card afterwards.

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,999
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

dperez wrote:

Sorry, y'all. I keep forgetting this forum doesn't send me email unless I remember to check the box...

I haven't done any firmware updates since the update to C 1.11 and LD 2.016, which was quite a while ago. It's been working fine since long after the firmware update.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't take the old Meike grip apart 'cause they sent me a replacement...

New Meike grip arrived today. Put it on the D850. The DISPLAY is STILL the same, but the GRIP is operational. With or without a battery in the grip, all the buttons work. So, things WORK.

UNFORTUNATELY, there's no battery information for the MB-D18, and I can no longer get 9 fps with the grip. For whatever reason, the camera no longer sees ANY of the batteries in the MB-D18 as something that should provide 9 fps.

I've tried 2 Wasabi batteries and the DSGE, all of which have always worked perfectly. I had to give the Nikon battery back so I don't have that one to try.

SO, for whatever reason, things SORT-OF work. Everything except the 9fps and battery information in the camera.

Does anybody think doing a factory reset may do anything? I'll have to put about 8 millions settings back into the system, but if it'll get things going 9fps with the batteries that have worked in the past I'll give it a try!

I have the Mcoplus grip (made by Meike or vice versa) and I used the OEM Nikon BL-5  To get 9 fps I had to switch out the BL-5 end cap with one that came from the Mcoplus trays. I took it from the AA battery tray holder.

Is it possible the camera is not taking it's power from the EN-EL18 battery?  Try pulling the battery out of the body, and see if it will work with just one in the grip.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

I forgot about saving the settings to a card...  simplifies things...

I JUST saw the topic about changing the bl-5 ends...  I don't have an OFFICIAL BL-5, but I took the screws out and removed the end cap from a BL-5, put it back on the battery and inserted it.  Without the end cap I have LOTS of flexibility for positioning the battery, so if it was going to work, I"d think that would do it...

Nope.  Still not showing battery data and still 7 fps.

Which leads me to a different question - will the D850 work with ONLY the battery in the battery grip?  If I pull the en-el15 out of the body, and put the grip on with the en-el18 I get the green LED lighting, and an empty battery in the top window.  And NOTHING works.

So, IS the camera even actually SEEING the battery in the grip?  It's a DSTE battery I charged, and I just checked the voltage at the contacts - it reads 12.25 V, which is unloaded voltage.  Also checked one of the Wasabi batteries and it read 12.1V.

So, the batteries have juice, the Meike grip is brand new, both batteries have been proven to work perfectly and provide 9 fps...

Should the camera work with no in-body battery?

I"m off to do a factory reset...  This whole thing is BIZARRE...

OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

Well, THAT was a total non-event...

Did the "factory reset".  It doesn't appear to have reset ANYTHING.  Yes, I held the Qual and +/- buttons for several seconds.  Yes, the display went blank.

But not a single setting in the menus, as near as I can tell, got lost.  My shooting banks and custom banks still look exactly the same.  And the camera STILL doesn't show the MB-D18  data in the menu...

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,999
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

dperez wrote:

I forgot about saving the settings to a card... simplifies things...

I JUST saw the topic about changing the bl-5 ends... I don't have an OFFICIAL BL-5, but I took the screws out and removed the end cap from a BL-5, put it back on the battery and inserted it. Without the end cap I have LOTS of flexibility for positioning the battery, so if it was going to work, I"d think that would do it...

Nope. Still not showing battery data and still 7 fps.

Which leads me to a different question - will the D850 work with ONLY the battery in the battery grip? If I pull the en-el15 out of the body, and put the grip on with the en-el18 I get the green LED lighting, and an empty battery in the top window. And NOTHING works.

So, IS the camera even actually SEEING the battery in the grip? It's a DSTE battery I charged, and I just checked the voltage at the contacts - it reads 12.25 V, which is unloaded voltage. Also checked one of the Wasabi batteries and it read 12.1V.

So, the batteries have juice, the Meike grip is brand new, both batteries have been proven to work perfectly and provide 9 fps...

Should the camera work with no in-body battery?

I"m off to do a factory reset... This whole thing is BIZARRE...

Not sure what you were doing with the BL5 end cap off. Only reason to switch it on an OEM BL-5 is that the connection is not made properly. Replacing it with one that came with the Mcoplus cured that.

The D850 should work with only a battery in the grip. So the camera is not recognizing the battery. You should have an EN-EL15 tray for the grip. Try running the body battery in that tray and see if it will recognize the smaller battery,

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

I pulled the end cap off the BL-5 because of the earlier entry in here about having to swap the end cap for the battery to work.  I figured if there could be some bizarre issue with brand X, I'll pull the end cap so I know the battery is full seated on the contacts.

I didn't THINK it would matter, but it's a 30 second job, and if it had worked I'd have been a happy camper...

Unfortunately, it didn't do anything.

The D850 should work with only a battery in the grip. So the camera is not recognizing the battery. You should have an EN-EL15 tray for the grip. Try running the body battery in that tray and see if it will recognize the smaller battery,

Nope.  It doesn't recognize the en-el15 in the grip or the AAs in the grip or ANY of the EN-EL18x batteries I've used (2 Wasabi, 1 DSTE, 1 borrowed Nikon).

ONE of the things (of the many) that has me baffled is THIS WORKED.  It worked perfectly.  I was shooting hummingbirds, walked back to the car, shut it off, pulled the EN-EL18 out, stuck in another one, and NO battery info and no 9fps.  Camera still worked fine 'cause there's a battery in the body, but nothing in the grip worked.

And it hasn't worked since, even with a REPLACEMENT Meike battery grip.

The camera is usable as long as I have both a body battery and a grip battery, so I have the vertical controls and such, but the D850 APPEARS not to see the battery in the grip...

Try a different brand grip?

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,999
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

dperez wrote:

I pulled the end cap off the BL-5 because of the earlier entry in here about having to swap the end cap for the battery to work. I figured if there could be some bizarre issue with brand X, I'll pull the end cap so I know the battery is full seated on the contacts.

I didn't THINK it would matter, but it's a 30 second job, and if it had worked I'd have been a happy camper...

Unfortunately, it didn't do anything.

You were, and are, confusing me with " Without the end cap I have LOTS of flexibility for positioning the battery, so if it was going to work, I"d think that would do it..."

Basically I removed two screws from both the BL-5 and a tray, and swapped the end pieces.  I'm not understanding "without the end cap"

Anyway, .............................

The D850 should work with only a battery in the grip. So the camera is not recognizing the battery. You should have an EN-EL15 tray for the grip. Try running the body battery in that tray and see if it will recognize the smaller battery,

Nope. It doesn't recognize the en-el15 in the grip or the AAs in the grip or ANY of the EN-EL18x batteries I've used (2 Wasabi, 1 DSTE, 1 borrowed Nikon).

ONE of the things (of the many) that has me baffled is THIS WORKED. It worked perfectly. I was shooting hummingbirds, walked back to the car, shut it off, pulled the EN-EL18 out, stuck in another one, and NO battery info and no 9fps. Camera still worked fine 'cause there's a battery in the body, but nothing in the grip worked.

And it hasn't worked since, even with a REPLACEMENT Meike battery grip.

The camera is usable as long as I have both a body battery and a grip battery, so I have the vertical controls and such, but the D850 APPEARS not to see the battery in the grip...

Try a different brand grip?

............ that's not likely your problem.  The two different grips and same problem suggest to me, rightly or wrongly, that the issue is on the body side of the connection.

I pulled my grip and looked into the connector on both the body and grip.  I used a bright flashlight and I think I would be able to tell if anything was not right in there.  Worth a try to see if you can see something that's not quite right.

Other than that, I tighten my grip fairly snuggly without making it too difficult to remove. I don't think that you received two faulty grips, but it is possible.  Anyone else you know, or either store nearby that would let you try another grip?

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

I tried the same thing with a flashlight and a magnifier, just in case there was something abnormal about the plug.  I didn't see anything that didn't look right.

I agree about the 2 grips.  I have the feeling SOMETHING is wrong in the camera body.  And I'm pretty sure if I send it to Nikon, even though I keep seeing entries in different discussion that the 3rd party grips DO NOT void the warranty, that they'll demand some ridiculous amount to fix it...

At the same time, I'm having trouble believing that with the large number of people using 3rd party grips, that SOME wouldn't have experienced the same thing I am.

Unfortunately, the nearest "camera store" where they MAY have a grip I could try is about 100 mile round trip.

Fortunately, the D850 still works, other than not having 9fps, which I don't need all that often, and MAYBE not having the camera USE the battery in the grip, which will be annoying...

Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

How about dropping by a shop to see if they have an OEM grip and ask them if you can try it out on your camera to see what 9 fps is like?

By trying out the OEM grip using OEM everything else, you can definitely rule out the camera or definitely say it's the camera.

 Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,999
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

dperez wrote:

I tried the same thing with a flashlight and a magnifier, just in case there was something abnormal about the plug. I didn't see anything that didn't look right.

I agree about the 2 grips. I have the feeling SOMETHING is wrong in the camera body. And I'm pretty sure if I send it to Nikon, even though I keep seeing entries in different discussion that the 3rd party grips DO NOT void the warranty, that they'll demand some ridiculous amount to fix it...

I think somehow, some way you need to try an OEM grip.  If it doesn't work with an OEM grip, you can send it to Nikon and say it doesn't work with your / a Nikon grip.  If you send it in and say it doesn't work with your 3rd party grip, you may be at their mercy when it comes to parting with $$$.

At the same time, I'm having trouble believing that with the large number of people using 3rd party grips, that SOME wouldn't have experienced the same thing I am.

Unfortunately, the nearest "camera store" where they MAY have a grip I could try is about 100 mile round trip.

I think it's worth phoning and confirming if they have one, and if so, consider making the trip. In Toronto, a 100 mile round trip is a trip to the grocery store.

Fortunately, the D850 still works, other than not having 9fps, which I don't need all that often, and MAYBE not having the camera USE the battery in the grip, which will be annoying...

Let us know how it goes.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?
2

I'm not kidding...  I don't understand it, but...

A couple days ago I needed to do some macro.  Which meant pulling the grip off the D850 so it would be as stable as possible on the tripod.

Shot the images, pulled the memory card, loaded it onto the computer.  Went back, shot some more images.  Forgot to put the XQD card back, so they got recorded on the SD.  Changed body battery a couple times.  Pulled the SD card and read that into the computer.

No memory cards in the camera...

Yesterday morning I called Nikon and described what was happening, and the person thought it would have to come in for evaluation...

BUT, as I've hopefully mentioned before, when I HAD the grip on the camera, even with the camera off, the green LED on the back would blink.  So, I went out and started looking for info on the 850 blinking when off.

Found a topic somewhere about the blinking problem and the things people have done to try to get D850s to work again once this happens.  Mostly, they went into Nikon and some had the "Image Control PCB" replaced...

BUT, buried in all the other stuff was a little piece about memory cards.  So, with no memory cards in the camera, I screwed the grip back on, put a battery in, and NO blinking.  Turned it on, checked battery info, and voila, THERE'S A BATTERY...

Put in the SD card, formatted it, and there's STILL a battery.  Put in the XQD card, formatted it, and there's STILL a battery.  Put camera in continuous High, and there's 9 fps.  Been worked perfectly since...

I have NO idea, what ANY of this would have to do with memory card, or phase of the moon, or whatever, but it's working and I didn't have to send it to Nikon.  Don't know why, don't care!

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,999
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

dperez wrote:

I'm not kidding... I don't understand it, but...

A couple days ago I needed to do some macro. Which meant pulling the grip off the D850 so it would be as stable as possible on the tripod.

Shot the images, pulled the memory card, loaded it onto the computer. Went back, shot some more images. Forgot to put the XQD card back, so they got recorded on the SD. Changed body battery a couple times. Pulled the SD card and read that into the computer.

No memory cards in the camera...

Yesterday morning I called Nikon and described what was happening, and the person thought it would have to come in for evaluation...

BUT, as I've hopefully mentioned before, when I HAD the grip on the camera, even with the camera off, the green LED on the back would blink. So, I went out and started looking for info on the 850 blinking when off.

Found a topic somewhere about the blinking problem and the things people have done to try to get D850s to work again once this happens. Mostly, they went into Nikon and some had the "Image Control PCB" replaced...

BUT, buried in all the other stuff was a little piece about memory cards. So, with no memory cards in the camera, I screwed the grip back on, put a battery in, and NO blinking. Turned it on, checked battery info, and voila, THERE'S A BATTERY...

Put in the SD card, formatted it, and there's STILL a battery. Put in the XQD card, formatted it, and there's STILL a battery. Put camera in continuous High, and there's 9 fps. Been worked perfectly since...

I have NO idea, what ANY of this would have to do with memory card, or phase of the moon, or whatever, but it's working and I didn't have to send it to Nikon. Don't know why, don't care!

Great.  Meike makes good grips so I found it difficult to believe you'd run into two defective ones.

Chalk it up to a glitch in the system.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads