Olympus 100-400 mount problem?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Pollos Regular Member • Posts: 398
Olympus 100-400 mount problem?

I bought the new 100-400 Zuiko and I am happy but I find a little bad problem with the mount.

The lens has a little movement with my all 3 cameras (Pen-f, em1 mkii and em5 mkii) and with mc-14 .

I show you a video: Can be normal in this lens for size and weight ?

Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stevevp Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: Olympus 100-400 mount problem?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4518519#forum-post-64366057

PS Your videos are private and "Unavailable".

stevevp's gear list:stevevp's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +2 more
OP Pollos Regular Member • Posts: 398

stevevp wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4518519#forum-post-64366057

PS Your videos are private and "Unavailable".

I fixed and make it public.

Thx for advice.

briantrying Regular Member • Posts: 282

My panny was the same, never had an issue. The Oly is the same, not going to worry.

Brian

Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,023

Read about a few of these loose fit issues for some people, but not all. This implies inconsistencies. I would give Olympus a call and hear what they have to say. For this price, a loose fit might work just fine but it can be annoying, even more so when the time comes to sell it.

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more

I called my support and I explained the situation.

They told me that the movement can be a tolerance problem for camera mount because every lens is tested first to received the quality ok.

I explained that mount has a differente hole and  that with 3 cameras I received the same problem and sound.

They decided to test my 100-400 and search for the origin of the problem because time to have a new 100-400 is very long (about 40-60 days).

JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 6,425
No, not a problem

That slight twisting slop does not change the distance of the lens from the flange at all, as far as I can see.  Therefore not a problem.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +6 more

Pollos wrote:

I called my support and I explained the situation.

They told me that the movement can be a tolerance problem for camera mount because every lens is tested first to received the quality ok.

I explained that mount has a differente hole and that with 3 cameras I received the same problem and sound.

They decided to test my 100-400 and search for the origin of the problem because time to have a new 100-400 is very long (about 40-60 days).

Keep us posted as to how it worked out when it comes back

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more
Re: No, not a problem

JosephScha wrote:

That slight twisting slop does not change the distance of the lens from the flange at all, as far as I can see. Therefore not a problem.

Could be a problem when it comes time to sell it. Also, not sure, but wonder if twists and turns offset some of the dual sync ibis 🤔

-- hide signature --

Re: No, not a problem

JosephScha wrote:

That slight twisting slop does not change the distance of the lens from the flange at all, as far as I can see. Therefore not a problem.

It is a problem for movement and bad sound .

I will post here some videos for understand the really difference between an zuiko lens as 40-150 pro or the 1,4x and the 100-400:

StefanSC Regular Member • Posts: 297

Most of my lenses, both m43 an Nikon Fs have a very slight mount play when mounted on the camera.

But none has the amount of play you have in the clips you have posted.

-- hide signature --

I hold the truth... A very specific, based on my experience and only relevant to me truth, but the truth nonetheless!

StefanSC's gear list:StefanSC's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +13 more
Jan Krux Contributing Member • Posts: 510

no problem with mine, all is perfect.

guess you will get sorted with Oly service.

Jan

Jan Krux's gear list:Jan Krux's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
bobby 13 New Member • Posts: 7

Minor rotational movement on the x about the same as the 300mm f4 and 1.4 tc on the em1 Mark III

bobby 13's gear list:bobby 13's gear list
Olympus C-2020 Zoom Olympus C-5050 Zoom Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +3 more

Jan Krux wrote:

no problem with mine, all is perfect.

guess you will get sorted with Oly service.

Jan

Can you insert a photo of the lens mount?

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,859
I handled 100-400mm today

I was at Yodobashi today and looked at the 100-400mm. It was mounted on an E-M1III. Although I knew the lens was rather large it still surprised me a bit as to how big it is. The 75-300mm was sitting right next to it and there is no comparison as to size. I noticed that the 100-400mm when mounted on the camera could rotate a small amount.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,798

The only problem I can see is that the weatherproofing around the lens mount is compromised. Perhaps it is the rubber seal that is not thick enough to to tighten up the joining of lens and body.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,476

I have had various camera systems over the years and with one or two exceptions there has always been a varying amount of rotational play in the lens/camera interface. I had one body/lens combo that had enough to lose connection at times and I chalked that up to both the body and lens being at the ragged edge of their respective tolerances. One cause of excessive play could be that the in your case, the locking hole in your new lens is oversized and allows the lens to rotate an extra amount. Since it seems to be the same amount for all your devices, you should ether return for one that you are happy with or let Olympus take care of it under warranty. On the other hand, if it works on all of your devises  without a problem and is sharp, I would be inclined to keep it. Now if it is bad enough that you can feel the movement simply zooming a lens then that would bother me.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more

The official answer from Olympus is :”It is normale and all 100-400 have this game/play”.

I decided to leave the lens in the store because i can’t use a lens with click and game every time i zoom from 100 to 300-400mm.

cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,798

Pollos wrote:

The official answer from Olympus is :”It is normale and all 100-400 have this game/play”.

I decided to leave the lens in the store because i can’t use a lens with click and game every time i zoom from 100 to 300-400mm.

It could also affect the weatherproofing.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more

cosmicnode wrote:

Pollos wrote:

It could also affect the weatherproofing.

For Olympus until electronic conctacs works the problem is normal

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads