Tamron 20mm or 17-28mm.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
paul cool
paul cool Senior Member • Posts: 2,831
Re: Tamron 20mm or 17-28mm.

ukbassman wrote:

I think you'll still get a years warranty with and through e-infin but nothing though Tarmon. They are more reliable than Samyang though, so can't imagine you'll have many issues; I have time on my side so going to hold out until the Christmas sales to see if the 17-28 and 28-75 drop in price enough in the UK to temp me in!

Maybe best to wait for black friday deals i will hold of future purchases for some of these deals,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58365044@N05/

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +7 more
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188

I took the Tamron 17-28 out last night for sunset, really happy with this lens. A few pics below:

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +8 more
istreetshooter Regular Member • Posts: 280

I had my hands on the 17-28 the other day and was disappointed by the feel of the zooming and focusing. To me, they felt like they belonged on a cheap kit lens. I like the feel of the Sony kit lens better.

I know optics and focus speed will be a priority to people, but I was worried about durability.

shadowlands
shadowlands Senior Member • Posts: 1,186

I went with the 20mm because I don't go ultra wide that often, but it's there, if I need it.

And it's smaller, lighter and less costly.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7 III
Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD
Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD
Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS
Godox TT350S

shadowlands's gear list:shadowlands's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 3,458

shadowlands wrote:

I went with the 20mm because I don't go ultra wide that often, but it's there, if I need it.

Does it look like a real 20mm to you or more like 21mm?  I heard that the field of view is narrower after massive geometric corrections.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD
shadowlands
shadowlands Senior Member • Posts: 1,186

BrentSchumer wrote:

shadowlands wrote:

Does it look like a real 20mm to you or more like 21mm? I heard that the field of view is narrower after massive geometric corrections.

I don't have anything else to put it up against.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7 III
Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD
Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD
Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS
Godox TT350S

shadowlands's gear list:shadowlands's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,790

BrentSchumer wrote:

shadowlands wrote:

Does it look like a real 20mm to you or more like 21mm? I heard that the field of view is narrower after massive geometric corrections.

Two things, I think it's a little wider actually (one of the reviews I read seemed pretty clear on that), tho I can double check against my 17-28... Second, stated focal length is usually factored after lens corrections have been applied, tho I guess there's always exceptions.

I don't recall it needing that much geometric corrections tbh (not like the Tamron zoom which has some funky mustache distortion going on), but I could be misremembering. Dustin Abott's review should have corrected/uncorrected distortion tests against a chart.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +29 more
BrentSchumer

Dustin skewered the 20mm lens for distortion but otherwise gave it high marks.

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,790

BrentSchumer wrote:

Oh wait, I got all mixed up, I was talking about the Sony but the thread is obviously about the Tamron, my bad. I don't own the latter, but yeah... Normally I don't think the focal length fudging everyone does is very significant but when comparing a prime that's slightly over X and one that's slightly under X (specially for UWAs), then I guess the difference might stand out more.

The Tamron f2.8 primes just look needlessly bulky to me, for f2.8s w/o the best AF...

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +29 more
BrentSchumer

Impulses wrote:

BrentSchumer wrote:

Oh wait, I got all mixed up, I was talking about the Sony but the thread is obviously about the Tamron, my bad. I don't own the latter, but yeah... Normally I don't think the focal length fudging everyone does is very significant but when comparing a prime that's slightly over X and one that's slightly under X (specially for UWAs), then I guess the difference might stand out more.

The Tamron f2.8 primes just look needlessly bulky to me, for f2.8s w/o the best AF...

I've been leaning towards the Sammy 18mm AF, but I really hate the idea of a QC-return dance. I don't shoot UWA wide open very much, and if I am it's almost certainly going to be with a subject near the center. A tiny UWA is a perfect supplemental lens.

ChapelThrill23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

rgwaller1 wrote:

I need help deciding between these two lenses for time lapse and sunrise and sunset photography. My price range is between 300 and 900 dollars.

Personally I'd go with the 17-28. It is a much more versatile lens.

QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,703

shadowlands wrote:

BrentSchumer wrote:

shadowlands wrote:

It is a wide 20mm even after corrections. I have compared it to other 20mm primes.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony a7R II +94 more
BrentSchumer

QuietOC wrote:

shadowlands wrote:

BrentSchumer wrote:

shadowlands wrote:

It is a wide 20mm even after corrections. I have compared it to other 20mm primes.

Good to hear.  This will likely be a pickup to share filters with the 28-200mm that I plan on getting.

QuietOC

I've now compared the 17-28 to my primes and zooms in that range. It compares well with all of them. You can skip the budget 18, 20, 24, and 28 mm primes if you don't mind a somewhat bulky zoom.

rgwaller1
OP rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992

Thanks I will give it a look.

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 +17 more
BrentSchumer

Question: Is anyone using the Tamron 20mm in Capture One?  It seems to think that the lens is the Sony 20mm F2.8.  I can change to the manufacturer's profile to get the "real" correction, but there must be a way to skip that step for every image.

Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,774

BrentSchumer wrote:

Question: Is anyone using the Tamron 20mm in Capture One? It seems to think that the lens is the Sony 20mm F2.8. I can change to the manufacturer's profile to get the "real" correction, but there must be a way to skip that step for every image.

Parenthetically, DxO Photolab insists that a Voigtlander 50mm F2 Lanthar cannot be anything other than a Zeiss Loxia 50mm f2.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
BrentSchumer

Euell wrote:

BrentSchumer wrote:

Question: Is anyone using the Tamron 20mm in Capture One? It seems to think that the lens is the Sony 20mm F2.8. I can change to the manufacturer's profile to get the "real" correction, but there must be a way to skip that step for every image.

Parenthetically, DxO Photolab insists that a Voigtlander 50mm F2 Lanthar cannot be anything other than a Zeiss Loxia 50mm f2.

Good to know.  Also, congrats on what looks like an insane lens.

QuietOC

BrentSchumer wrote:

We probably need to bring it up with Phase One. Both lenses have the same "Lens Info" and "Lens Spec" EXIF tags. But the Tamron and Samyang 24mm primes get correctly identified by their "Lens Model" EXIF fields despite having the same "Lens Info" and "Lens Spec." The Samyang 18mm F2.8 gets misidentified as the Batis.

ChapelThrill23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

"I've now compared the 17-28 to my primes and zooms in that range. It compares well with all of them. You can skip the budget 18, 20, 24, and 28 mm primes if you don't mind a somewhat bulky zoom."

The one it could never replace in my collection is the Voightlander 21 3.5. The sunstars from that lens are divine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads