Am I the only one who misses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,644
Am I the only one who misses

The dedicated buttons that run across the top plate of the DSLRs?  I have always liked having dedicated buttons for ISO, drive mode, WB, Metering mode... and then not being present on the r6 has me a little frustrated.  I think it’s going to take me a while to get used to all the controls.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,471
I'm pretty happy with it

I actually prefer the new method. A dedicated ISO dial makes the button redundant. White balance isn't something that I change often, as I shoot RAW. However I will take a control shot if needed to get a decent temp range, but that's rarely needed. I pretty much only use spot metering, so again a dedicated button is a little overkill for me. I agree changing the drive modes is a little tedious so I set my C1, C2, and C3 for various drive modes and shutters and I feel that covers all my needs.

In short I'm really happy with the customization of the new system and only have a few items I'd like to see.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
OP BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,644
Re: I'm pretty happy with it

Tazz93 wrote:

I actually prefer the new method. A dedicated ISO dial makes the button redundant. White balance isn't something that I change often, as I shoot RAW. However I will take a control shot if needed to get a decent temp range, but that's rarely needed. I pretty much only use spot metering, so again a dedicated button is a little overkill for me. I agree changing the drive modes is a little tedious so I set my C1, C2, and C3 for various drive modes and shutters and I feel that covers all my needs.

In short I'm really happy with the customization of the new system and only have a few items I'd like to see.

Well I’m doing my best to get used to it, we’ll see how it feels after a week.  It’s definitely a big adjustment for me, I don’t remember it feeling this weird with the R and RP.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Ishootautoonly
Ishootautoonly New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Am I the only one who misses

I kind of wish they just added a couple of (c) buttons they we could customise to whatever we liked along the top plate. I understand that it easy to customise pretty much all buttons but a couple of dedicated custom buttons would be nice.

Ishootautoonly's gear list:Ishootautoonly's gear list
Canon EOS R5
NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,977

BirdShooter7 wrote:

The dedicated buttons that run across the top plate of the DSLRs? I have always liked having dedicated buttons for ISO, drive mode, WB, Metering mode... and then not being present on the r6 has me a little frustrated. I think it’s going to take me a while to get used to all the controls.

I rarely change the metering mode, WB, and drive mode.  I do change ISOs but only as a last resort and not often.  The extra control ring on the RF lenses would work good for that or one of the 3 dial on the R6 might also be good for that.  As I'm looking to the get the R (what I can afford), I'll just assigned ISO to the M.Fn Bar.

-- hide signature --

NHT

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 6,967
I like the interface of the R6 so far...

BirdShooter7 wrote:

The dedicated buttons that run across the top plate of the DSLRs? I have always liked having dedicated buttons for ISO, drive mode, WB, Metering mode... and then not being present on the r6 has me a little frustrated. I think it’s going to take me a while to get used to all the controls.

EOS R6 topside

I think the buttons are generally well placed and are sufficient in number.  The only  one I can't seem to feel properly is the raised red-tipped Video activation button (visible above).  Whenever I'm trying to shoot video, I find that this button is too close to the raised area near the scroll wheel and it all feel much the same to my fingertips.  Most of us have the exposure linked to their Lens Dial on the R cameras.
One thing that offers more speed and reliability over the R and R5 is the re-introduction of the Control Dial which replaces the Top-LCD button.  I noticed other members complain that they recent R/Ra/R5 version (which interfaces with the Top-LCD) required a little more physical effort to engage and select the right settings. It was easy to turn the dial the wrong way without realizing it... or it was slow to engage compared to the physical Control Dial now featured on the R6. The version on the RP is recessed into the body but operates similarly.

(not my pic)

Earlier reports from the R testers showed a few cracked LCD screens which were earmarked as a weak-point in the camera design.  I haven't seen any examples of this from the R5 users but I like that the R6 uses the tough (and recently refined) Control Dial instead.  But I do like the look of the Top-LCD.  It's on my EOS Ra although I have found it harder to see in the dark with the inversion of the LCD and the backlight operating.
Overall, the buttons on the R6 seem well placed.  An example of this is the "Magnify" button which is located close to where the thumb rests... so you can easily find it when shooting Macro through the EVF display without taking your eyes off the target.  As noted by others, the M-Fn button replaces the ISO buttons (and several others).  It doesn't take long to get used to it and it's much easier to switch to L (ISO 50) without having to flip out the LCD screen and seek out the appropriate means of changing the setting via the menu.  I'd have liked to see the ON/OFF button replaced by a lever set on the right of the body... enabling one-handed use every time.... but I'm sure Canon have their reasons.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
jnd Regular Member • Posts: 219

Yes, that's what I'm missing on R5, together with normal, decades proven, mode dial and either proper top display or replace it with physical dial ala Fuji to select drive modes, bracketing, and more. As it is the display isn't very useful to me, it's small enough that it shows only couple parameters and it's low contrast. It's pretty bad when 30+ years old EOS 630 has much easier to read LCD and displays everything that's needed in clearly separated sections.

The whole top plate is step backward, or rather sideways, for me. Video recording button is hard to reach so I set to record on shutter press in video mode and is it limited in stills mode anyway. Changing mode is awkward as well, there's workaround with switching current mode + cycling through C1-C3 but that's less than optimal. Again, reminds me how it was easy on Fuji: one dial on the left sets: Movie mode, Bracketing, High-speed burst, Low-speed burst, Single frame, Multiple exposure (could have been custom mode), Advanced filter, Panorama. On Canon I have just one big on-off dial, kind of waste of space. On the other hand I also missed classic PASMC dial on Fuji, I didn't end up using the ISO dial and the time dial mostly stayed either in A or T - controlled by regular dial in 1/3 stops.

Now I'm using the Q menu too much to change some parameters, will look into setting up customized buttons (ther's not that many of them) to be more efficient.

jnd's gear list:jnd's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Kamlan 50mm F1.1 II +14 more
Re: I like the interface of the R6 so far...

I’m glad you like it, I’m really struggling with it, it almost feels like I’ve switched to a different brand.

Marco Nero wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

EOS R6 topside

I think the buttons are generally well placed and are sufficient in number. The only one I can't seem to feel properly is the raised red-tipped Video activation button (visible above). Whenever I'm trying to shoot video, I find that this button is too close to the raised area near the scroll wheel and it all feel much the same to my fingertips. Most of us have the exposure linked to their Lens Dial on the R cameras.
One thing that offers more speed and reliability over the R and R5 is the re-introduction of the Control Dial which replaces the Top-LCD button. I noticed other members complain that they recent R/Ra/R5 version (which interfaces with the Top-LCD) required a little more physical effort to engage and select the right settings. It was easy to turn the dial the wrong way without realizing it... or it was slow to engage compared to the physical Control Dial now featured on the R6. The version on the RP is recessed into the body but operates similarly.

(not my pic)

Earlier reports from the R testers showed a few cracked LCD screens which were earmarked as a weak-point in the camera design. I haven't seen any examples of this from the R5 users but I like that the R6 uses the tough (and recently refined) Control Dial instead. But I do like the look of the Top-LCD. It's on my EOS Ra although I have found it harder to see in the dark with the inversion of the LCD and the backlight operating.
Overall, the buttons on the R6 seem well placed. An example of this is the "Magnify" button which is located close to where the thumb rests... so you can easily find it when shooting Macro through the EVF display without taking your eyes off the target. As noted by others, the M-Fn button replaces the ISO buttons (and several others). It doesn't take long to get used to it and it's much easier to switch to L (ISO 50) without having to flip out the LCD screen and seek out the appropriate means of changing the setting via the menu. I'd have liked to see the ON/OFF button replaced by a lever set on the right of the body... enabling one-handed use every time.... but I'm sure Canon have their reasons.

-- hide signature --

Yes I agree

-- hide signature --

jnd wrote:

Yes, that's what I'm missing on R5, together with normal, decades proven, mode dial and either proper top display or replace it with physical dial ala Fuji to select drive modes, bracketing, and more. As it is the display isn't very useful to me, it's small enough that it shows only couple parameters and it's low contrast. It's pretty bad when 30+ years old EOS 630 has much easier to read LCD and displays everything that's needed in clearly separated sections.

The whole top plate is step backward, or rather sideways, for me. Video recording button is hard to reach so I set to record on shutter press in video mode and is it limited in stills mode anyway. Changing mode is awkward as well, there's workaround with switching current mode + cycling through C1-C3 but that's less than optimal. Again, reminds me how it was easy on Fuji: one dial on the left sets: Movie mode, Bracketing, High-speed burst, Low-speed burst, Single frame, Multiple exposure (could have been custom mode), Advanced filter, Panorama. On Canon I have just one big on-off dial, kind of waste of space. On the other hand I also missed classic PASMC dial on Fuji, I didn't end up using the ISO dial and the time dial mostly stayed either in A or T - controlled by regular dial in 1/3 stops.

Now I'm using the Q menu too much to change some parameters, will look into setting up customized buttons (ther's not that many of them) to be more efficient.

I wish Canon would be more consistent with the controls on their mirrorless cameras like they were with their DSLRs.  I really don’t understand what they are going for with all these new designs but it makes the transition to new models more of a challenge for me.

-- hide signature --

RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,621

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I rarely used any of those buttons...and in fact, I really look at the top plate of any of my DSLRs. And now my r5 has that new panel up there, and I will rarely use that too.  Fortunately for all of us, there is always more than one way to get things done on these bodies.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +29 more

RogerZoul wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I rarely used any of those buttons...and in fact, I really look at the top plate of any of my DSLRs. And now my r5 has that new panel up there, and I will rarely use that too. Fortunately for all of us, there is always more than one way to get things done on these bodies.

Do you mostly use the touch screen?  I like the buttons because they make it so easy to change settings without taking my eye away from the viewfinder

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads