Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

a_c_skinner wrote:

" I use a Sony a7III and it is a great camera in all aspects but some of the experience and the handling bugs me."

Forgive this but you simply need to get properly used to whatever camera you use. The only "experience" that is valid is the photos, surely?".

There are two answers to questions like this. Yes there are lots of cameras out there that handle differently and make excellent images. It is a matter of personal preferences and at the moment you have the most popular mirrorless camera.

The other way to look at it would be bald, almost rude, advice to go out and be a photographer rather than a gear fancier. Most people on here seem to be the latter not the former and so are never stuck for advice to waste money on different rather than better gear.

As a ChelseaPhotographer (i think thats the nickname) pointed out buyimg 8000€ of new gear will never make me a better photographer. It will just give me the tools and the technical capabilities for better quality photos. And a system that better suits my needs as far as handling and ease of use are concerned. I understand that my camera is already a great camera and probably wait until the end of the year to change systems. I want to see what nikon and somy will bring out and then decide if i swap systems

Another thing that concerns me and i am not so sure if it matters or not is the mount size and what that means for the future of the system. Will the others be able to make better optical formulas that lead to better sharpness and better quality lenses wbile sony remains stuck or it means nothing?

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,413
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

The point is the camera and system and largely lenses mean nothing.

(Edit: within broad limits!)

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

 a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

a_c_skinner wrote:

The point is the camera and system and largely lenses mean nothing.

(Edit: within broad limits!)

Meaning??

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,413
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z
1

Sorry, too gnomic.  Meaning swapping cameras will make no real difference to your pictures.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

 a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

a_c_skinner wrote:

Sorry, too gnomic. Meaning swapping cameras will make no real difference to your pictures.

That's true. I don't disagree but i want to know if my system is future proof or will i be forced later to switch due to lack of innovation (because of the smaller mount) or because they cannot push their technology further

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,126
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Achilleas96 wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

Sorry, too gnomic. Meaning swapping cameras will make no real difference to your pictures.

That's true. I don't disagree but i want to know if my system is future proof or will i be forced later to switch due to lack of innovation (because of the smaller mount) or because they cannot push their technology further

yes .... I'm still using 15 year old lenses

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

beagle1 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

Sorry, too gnomic. Meaning swapping cameras will make no real difference to your pictures.

That's true. I don't disagree but i want to know if my system is future proof or will i be forced later to switch due to lack of innovation (because of the smaller mount) or because they cannot push their technology further

yes .... I'm still using 15 year old lenses

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Just wondering. what system and lenses do you use?

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,727
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Achilleas96 wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

Sorry, too gnomic. Meaning swapping cameras will make no real difference to your pictures.

That's true. I don't disagree but i want to know if my system is future proof or will i be forced later to switch due to lack of innovation (because of the smaller mount) or because they cannot push their technology further

No system is future proof. A friend of mine used to tell people working at a restaurant, "Sell the sizzle, not the steak." Don't be trapped by the advertising.

Having finally run out of innovation with their current mount and sensor,  Sony (or somebody else) will make an incredibly good sensor/mount system that not only "surpasses" their own system but it "obsoletes" the others, too.

OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Craig Gillette wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

Sorry, too gnomic. Meaning swapping cameras will make no real difference to your pictures.

That's true. I don't disagree but i want to know if my system is future proof or will i be forced later to switch due to lack of innovation (because of the smaller mount) or because they cannot push their technology further

No system is future proof. A friend of mine used to tell people working at a restaurant, "Sell the sizzle, not the steak." Don't be trapped by the advertising.

Having finally run out of innovation with their current mount and sensor, Sony (or somebody else) will make an incredibly good sensor/mount system that not only "surpasses" their own system but it "obsoletes" the others, too.

So you say that it doesn't matter. I hope that they improve the ergonomics because i love the "inexpensive" third party lenses. They have the algorithms for the af system of the sony. The others might not disclose it

Thecylon Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Are you going to jump every time a competitor has a new release?  Do you want to support and be stuck in a closed mount?

OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Thecylon wrote:

Are you going to jump every time a competitor has a new release? Do you want to support and be stuck in a closed mount?

Definetely not! I am just wondering if the bigger mount is better for future proofing my equipment for the next decade or more. I dont know about mount engineering thats why i am asking.

And by closed mount you mean that Canikon will not disclose the algorithms for their mounts to third party so they will have to reverse engineer the af? Or something else

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,727
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Not really.  There's always some new great thing.  Any camera maker tries to tempt users to move up to the next best thing.  Pretty much the last thing they will do is create a new product that is incompatible with their current users' systems requiring a completely new systematic purchase.  While they would love a whole new run of purchases, it might also result in a level of frustration and end of sales, or worse, invites investigation and perhaps adoption of a competing product line.  But as advanced as things are, improvements tend to be fairly incremental, small increments, and often in the most extreme or least frequently needed conditions.

OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Craig Gillette wrote:

Not really. There's always some new great thing. Any camera maker tries to tempt users to move up to the next best thing. Pretty much the last thing they will do is create a new product that is incompatible with their current users' systems requiring a completely new systematic purchase. While they would love a whole new run of purchases, it might also result in a level of frustration and end of sales, or worse, invites investigation and perhaps adoption of a competing product line. But as advanced as things are, improvements tend to be fairly incremental, small increments, and often in the most extreme or least frequently needed conditions.

What do you use? Just out of curosity

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,727
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Currently an A6400 and D7200.  Several lenses for each.

OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Craig Gillette wrote:

Currently an A6400 and D7200. Several lenses for each.

After considering what everyone said I think I will stick to my system and Sony. I ve seen that they improve in the menus and the ergonomics. And based an what you said as well what i read in articles it eont be a massive difference. Just the ability to make more complicated designs such as the f/2 zooms of canon. And i much prefer the true native third party

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,126
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Achilleas96 wrote:

Craig Gillette wrote:

Currently an A6400 and D7200. Several lenses for each.

After considering what everyone said I think I will stick to my system and Sony. I ve seen that they improve in the menus and the ergonomics. And based an what you said as well what i read in articles it eont be a massive difference. Just the ability to make more complicated designs such as the f/2 zooms of canon. And i much prefer the true native third party

OK

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 3,387
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z
1

Achilleas96 wrote:

So the question is: have you considered changing systems and why? What did you choose if you 've made the switch? What is your experience

Not only I considered changing systems, but I did a few times.

Samsung APS-C mirrorless -> Sony APS-C mirrorless & Canon APS-C DSLR -> Canon FF DSLR -> Nikon FF DSLR.

The first change I did in the search of better AF and better IQ, the second change I did in search of better AF, better IQ and better lens availability, the third change I did mainly for AF and a bit for better IQ.

I am looking to switch again, this time to mirrorless FF. My reason being I don't have a good upgrade path in Nikon F mount as I want a better AF. D5 has that but is heavy and too expensive. The only mirrorless mount I would consider is Sony E because of its best AF in class and lens availability. However, even if the lenses I want are available in E mount, they are still kind of expensive. So I might wait a bit, or put more money towards a Nikon D5.

For me reasons to change mounts could be:

-better IQ

-better AF

-better lens availability or better lens prices

Reasons not to change mounts:

-poor IQ

-poor AF

-poor ergonomics

-less lenses available or higher lens prices

Some features like IBIS would be welcomed but not mandatory.

 DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z
1

DeathArrow wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

So the question is: have you considered changing systems and why? What did you choose if you 've made the switch? What is your experience

Not only I considered changing systems, but I did a few times.

Samsung APS-C mirrorless -> Sony APS-C mirrorless & Canon APS-C DSLR -> Canon FF DSLR -> Nikon FF DSLR.

The first change I did in the search of better AF and better IQ, the second change I did in search of better AF, better IQ and better lens availability, the third change I did mainly for AF and a bit for better IQ.

I am looking to switch again, this time to mirrorless FF. My reason being I don't have a good upgrade path in Nikon F mount as I want a better AF. D5 has that but is heavy and too expensive. The only mirrorless mount I would consider is Sony E because of its best AF in class and lens availability. However, even if the lenses I want are available in E mount, they are still kind of expensive. So I might wait a bit, or put more money towards a Nikon D5.

For me reasons to change mounts could be:

-better IQ

-better AF

-better lens availability or better lens prices

Reasons not to change mounts:

-poor IQ

-poor AF

-poor ergonomics

-less lenses available or higher lens prices

Some features like IBIS would be welcomed but not mandatory.

I was looking toward a Z6 or an R5/R6 because of the bigger mount and the possibility of future proofing my system. Perhaps new lens designs or possibilities. I don't care so much about an F/1.2 prime or F/2 zooms because they are hella expensive and heavy. But I guess that the F/2.8 zooms will always be available and great in whatever mount. Plus the E-mount will have the third party lenses as true native as someone else pointed out while the others will have them possibly as reverse enginneered

68shooter Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Achilleas96 wrote:

I am a Sony guy for the time being but the recent updates in photography and the new cameras of all the companies have made me thinking about changing system. I use a Sony a7III and it is a great camera in all aspects but some of the experience and the handling bugs me.

I have held (not yet tried) the Z6 and R6 and i was impressed. And their lenses are great and really well made from what I have heard.

So the question is: have you considered changing systems and why? What did you choose if you 've made the switch? What is your experience

I was just curious about how long you've had the A7 iii.  I just bought one and it looks to me as if it may take quite a while for me to get used to the Sony system, coming from Canon.

I don't expect to be comfortable with it until I've gotten maybe 5,000 shots, IMO (just a guess).  This could be 6 months....a year...., I don't know. By comfortable, I mean getting things where I like them, and understanding how I can intuitively change an odd setting here and there.

Unfortunately, with the amount of cash I have available, I've applied for a marriage license with my A7 iii.  I can't afford a divorce right now.

OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z
1

68shooter wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

I am a Sony guy for the time being but the recent updates in photography and the new cameras of all the companies have made me thinking about changing system. I use a Sony a7III and it is a great camera in all aspects but some of the experience and the handling bugs me.

I have held (not yet tried) the Z6 and R6 and i was impressed. And their lenses are great and really well made from what I have heard.

So the question is: have you considered changing systems and why? What did you choose if you 've made the switch? What is your experience

I was just curious about how long you've had the A7 iii. I just bought one and it looks to me as if it may take quite a while for me to get used to the Sony system, coming from Canon.

I don't expect to be comfortable with it until I've gotten maybe 5,000 shots, IMO (just a guess). This could be 6 months....a year...., I don't know. By comfortable, I mean getting things where I like them, and understanding how I can intuitively change an odd setting here and there.

Unfortunately, with the amount of cash I have available, I've applied for a marriage license with my A7 iii. I can't afford a divorce right now.

I have it for about a year and a half. I have used it extensively. I am coming from a Nikon d7200 so sony at the time was the logical solution. Thanks to youtube i ve learned its quirks but its handling wasnt my favorite. Z6 and the R felt better in my hands but their af systems and lenses were not up to sonys system so...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads