Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 142
Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

I am a Sony guy for the time being but the recent updates in photography and the new cameras of all the companies have made me thinking about changing system. I use a Sony a7III and it is a great camera in all aspects but some of the experience and the handling bugs me.

I have held (not yet tried) the Z6 and R6 and i was impressed. And their lenses are great and really well made from what I have heard.

So the question is: have you considered changing systems and why? What did you choose if you 've made the switch? What is your experience

Nikon Z6 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
The Lamentable Lens Regular Member • Posts: 420
Re: Sony FE vs Canon RF Vs Nikon Z

Achilleas96 wrote:

I am a Sony guy for the time being but the recent updates in photography and the new cameras of all the companies have made me thinking about changing system. I use a Sony a7III and it is a great camera in all aspects but some of the experience and the handling bugs me.

I have held (not yet tried) the Z6 and R6 and i was impressed. And their lenses are great and really well made from what I have heard.

So the question is: have you considered changing systems and why? What did you choose if you 've made the switch? What is your experience

I haven't thought about switching, but that's because I only bought into Sony FF relatively recently.  I agree completely on the ergonomics.  I don't care for Sony's ergos, and the major competitors all felt better in my hand.  All things being equal, I'd likely be shooting Nikon Z (I made my decision before the R5/R6 were announced).

There were a few reasons I went with Sony, but the major factor was the very well-developed lens line-up, most importantly including the selection of high quality yet affordable third-party lenses.  As the other systems continue to develop, of course, that gap will narrow (as has the gap on AF, etc.), but Sony has a substantial head start.

At the end of the day, I suppose the question is whether resolving the experience and handling issues that are bugging you is worth the cost of switching.  Only you can answer that, of course.

Good luck!

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 842

If I was restarting, I'd be staring at the R5 + RF zoom trinity really, really hard and then begging them to please bring out a good 24/1.4 and 85/1.4 native prime. And probably grabbing the 100-500 as well.

In practice, there are some holes over which I would endlessly complain in both their sets of lenses. But the two lenses I use most are the 16-35 and the 24-105 and they have excellent versions of both of those. 14-30/4 just isn't the same.

In the meantime, I picked Sony back in 2018 for 2 card slots and battery life and they're still the kings of that. So.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more
OP AchilleasEmm Regular Member • Posts: 142

I could sell all of my sony gear for a great price. Nearly what i paid for. But it was the canon line up that made me think. I want to know about the better dynamic range and the lenses. Sony was the only solution when i bought my camera and the third party lenses was what sold me. And if i keep buying into the sony system i would buy mostly third party.

Achilleas96 wrote:

I could sell all of my sony gear for a great price. Nearly what i paid for. But it was the canon line up that made me think. I want to know about the better dynamic range and the lenses. Sony was the only solution when i bought my camera and the third party lenses was what sold me. And if i keep buying into the sony system i would buy mostly third party.

By all accounts, the RF lenses are great (if expensive). I've not used them, so I can't make any comparisons. As for DR, the Canon R5 is certainly a major improvement over the Canon RP, but that puts it basically on par with Sony. At the end of the day, there isn't really a practical difference:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

This really comes down to personal preference. Both Canon and Sony offer great cameras and lenses, and you shouldn't be held back by either system's technical specs (unless perhaps IBIS is particularly important). It's really a matter of which system you'll enjoy shooting more.

Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more

The Lamentable Lens wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

By all accounts, the RF lenses are great (if expensive). I've not used them, so I can't make any comparisons. As for DR, the Canon R5 is certainly a major improvement over the Canon RP, but that puts it basically on par with Sony. At the end of the day, there isn't really a practical difference:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

This really comes down to personal preference. Both Canon and Sony offer great cameras and lenses, and you shouldn't be held back by either system's technical specs (unless perhaps IBIS is particularly important). It's really a matter of which system you'll enjoy shooting more.

Its just that the sony lenses are plagued with bad quality of construction from what i ve read while canon lenses in general not so much

Achilleas96 wrote:

Its just that the sony lenses are plagued with bad quality of construction from what i ve read while canon lenses in general not so much

Sorry, can't speak to that, as I've not seen those reports or run into any issues with my lenses. Have you had issues with your current Sony lenses?

Achilleas96 wrote:

Sorry, can't speak to that, as I've not seen those reports or run into any issues with my lenses. Have you had issues with your current Sony lenses?

My only lens that is oem is the 70-200 gm. Up until now no i havent seen anything

poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 842

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

My only lens that is oem is the 70-200 gm. Up until now no i havent seen anything

Anecdotally:

• 4 copies of the 16-35GM
  • My 20/1.8G was stupidly soft (Also, I cannot magically take 20mm pics, so I returned it anyways)
  • Bought an 85/1.8 and it was bad in one corner.  Returned it and grabbed the Samyang instead.  

Good Sony lenses:

• 55/1.8, which is really a Zeiss.  
  • 24/1.4 was, thankfully, excellent.  
  • 24-105G

Which, admittedly, is about on track with my luck with 3rd-party lenses as well.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Anecdotally:

• My 20/1.8G was stupidly soft (Also, I cannot magically take 20mm pics, so I returned it anyways)
  • Bought an 85/1.8 and it was bad in one corner. Returned it and grabbed the Samyang instead.

Good Sony lenses:

• 24-105G

Which, admittedly, is about on track with my luck with 3rd-party lenses as well.

I have the 35, 50 and new 85 sigma art lenses and the 70-200gm

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,028

Achilleas96 wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Anecdotally:

• Bought an 85/1.8 and it was bad in one corner. Returned it and grabbed the Samyang instead.

Good Sony lenses:

• 24-105G

sigma art is good value but not as good as Canon 70-200 2.8

beagle1 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Anecdotally:

Good Sony lenses:

• 24-105G

Definitely

ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 515

Achilleas96 wrote:

beagle1 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Anecdotally:

Good Sony lenses:

• 24-105G

Definitely

I have the Tamron trinity of zooms for my A7RIV and the quality of those lenses is great. Surprisingly high for how much they cost. I don't know. I was a Canon guy many years ago, and I still have one Canon body, but you might find that switching systems ends up being costly and underwhelming. I think the quality of the R5 files should be great, but probably not as great as the IQ of the A7RIV. I prefer Canon colors and menus, though, but I have figured how to work around those issues...

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

beagle1 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Anecdotally:

Good Sony lenses:

• 24-105G

Definitely

I have the Tamron trinity of zooms for my A7RIV and the quality of those lenses is great. Surprisingly high for how much they cost. I don't know. I was a Canon guy many years ago, and I still have one Canon body, but you might find that switching systems ends up being costly and underwhelming. I think the quality of the R5 files should be great, but probably not as great as the IQ of the A7RIV. I prefer Canon colors and menus, though, but I have figured how to work around those issues...

It's the lenses of the rf system that intrigues me.Although here in Greece they are very expensive. I suppose the successor of the a7iii would be better. As for colours I am not sure what to believe as i shoot RAW. I dont kniw if the colour science of the Canon makes a difference.

I also watch Julia Trotti who recently made the switch to Sony and she has never mentioned the colour science.

ChelseaPhotographer

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

beagle1 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Anecdotally:

Good Sony lenses:

• 24-105G

Definitely

It's the lenses of the rf system that intrigues me.Although here in Greece they are very expensive. I suppose the successor of the a7iii would be better. As for colours I am not sure what to believe as i shoot RAW. I dont kniw if the colour science of the Canon makes a difference.

I also watch Julia Trotti who recently made the switch to Sony and she has never mentioned the colour science.

Some of the Canon RF lenses look great. But I doubt that the IQ is so much better compared with the best EF lenses. I don't have the 24-70 f/2.8 GM but it is supposed to be as good as any. I have the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and while it is not perfect, it is VERY good, and I would not trade it for the GM simply because of the size. I had the Sony 24 f/1.4 which is an incredible lens, but I returned it because I rather have the Tamron 17-28 f/2.8. Cheaper, more versatile, and gives me 90% of the IQ of the GM.

I was really intrigued by the Canon RF 28-70 f/2 but it is so massive that I have no interest in it anymore (a friend owned it and he hated how heavy it is).

The AF on the A7RIII was not great, but the AF in the A7RIV is much better (still not D850 great but much much better), so honestly, I see no reason to switch from Sony right now. I am getting the best resolution, the best mirrorless AF, and the most varied lens ecosystem (and since the e-mount is an open-source system, I don't have to worry about third-party lens compatibility). If the R5 had the resolution and the AF of the A7RIV, and Tamron made the same lenses for it that they do for the Sony, and I had a ton of money, then MAYBE I would switch... And still, given how Canon cripples so many things and how slowly they innovate, even then I might still stick with Sony...

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

beagle1 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Anecdotally:

Good Sony lenses:

• 24-105G

Definitely

Some of the Canon RF lenses look great. But I doubt that the IQ is so much better compared with the best EF lenses. I don't have the 24-70 f/2.8 GM but it is supposed to be as good as any. I have the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and while it is not perfect, it is VERY good, and I would not trade it for the GM simply because of the size. I had the Sony 24 f/1.4 which is an incredible lens, but I returned it because I rather have the Tamron 17-28 f/2.8. Cheaper, more versatile, and gives me 90% of the IQ of the GM.

I was really intrigued by the Canon RF 28-70 f/2 but it is so massive that I have no interest in it anymore (a friend owned it and he hated how heavy it is).

The AF on the A7RIII was not great, but the AF in the A7RIV is much better (still not D850 great but much much better), so honestly, I see no reason to switch from Sony right now. I am getting the best resolution, the best mirrorless AF, and the most varied lens ecosystem (and since the e-mount is an open-source system, I don't have to worry about third-party lens compatibility). If the R5 had the resolution and the AF of the A7RIV, and Tamron made the same lenses for it that they do for the Sony, and I had a ton of money, then MAYBE I would switch... And still, given how Canon cripples so many things and how slowly they innovate, even then I might still stick with Sony...

The problem for me with canon rf is the cost. For example the R5 costs in the US 3800$ (about 3400€ a price i would pay). Here in Greece and generally in Europe it costs 4800€. The price of the 70-200 is almost 3100€. Right from the getgo the cost is almost 8000. With that price i could buy almost everything in the Emount and Zmount.

I wanted to ask you how are you handling those huge files of the a7riv. In my case i dont need 64 mp. About 36-45 is plenty for me

ChelseaPhotographer

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

beagle1 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Achilleas96 wrote:

Anecdotally:

Good Sony lenses:

• 24-105G

Definitely

The problem for me with canon rf is the cost. For example the R5 costs in the US 3800$ (about 3400€ a price i would pay). Here in Greece and generally in Europe it costs 4800€. The price of the 70-200 is almost 3100€. Right from the getgo the cost is almost 8000. With that price i could buy almost everything in the Emount and Zmount.

I wanted to ask you how are you handling those huge files of the a7riv. In my case i dont need 64 mp. About 36-45 is plenty for me

I use Capture One and have a lot of external hard drives for storage.

So, is the expenditure of the 8K EUR going to make you a better photographer?

I use Capture One and have a lot of external hard drives for storage.

So, is the expenditure of the 8K EUR going to make you a better photographer?

Definitely not. If i change my equipmemt is to better suit my style and for more comfortable usage. My photos will not change for the better. Maybe better handling of iso. But the style not

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,579

Years ago.  I went from KM/Sony to Nikon.  Sony had kind of stalled after the take-over and I just wanted more speed, more resolution, etc.  There's really nothing wrong with changing.  People change sensor sizes up or down, to mirror-less, etc.  If one system has what you want and the one you have doesn't, swap.  It can be kind of costly and might require some times to learn the new system set up and controls but get/use what you want or need.

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,094

" I use a Sony a7III and it is a great camera in all aspects but some of the experience and the handling bugs me."

Forgive this but you simply need to get properly used to whatever camera you use.  The only "experience" that is valid is the photos, surely?".

There are two answers to questions like this. Yes there are lots of cameras out there that handle differently and make excellent images.  It is a matter of personal preferences and at the moment you have the most popular mirrorless camera.

The other way to look at it would be bald, almost rude, advice to go out and be a photographer rather than a gear fancier.  Most people on here seem to be the latter not the former and so are never stuck for advice to waste money on different rather than better gear.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads