A7c has no Active Steadyshot, can footage be digitally stabilized with catalyst browse gyro data?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
kerodean New Member • Posts: 7
A7c has no Active Steadyshot, can footage be digitally stabilized with catalyst browse gyro data?

I love the compact size and everything about the a7c but really the biggest dealbreaker for me is no active steadyshot which really improved the stabilisation as you can see in philip blooms review of the a7s3.

I heard someone mention though that it may be possible to use the cameras recorded gyro data and stabilize the a7c footage in catalyst browse after recording. Does anyone know if this is confirmed true or not.

ANSWER:
Andy F 2020 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: A7c has no Active Steadyshot

It is stated on its official website that it supports stabilization in post in the Imaging Edge Mobile application, probably using the stored gyroscope metadata. So it should store gyroscope metatdata, but catalyst browse was not mentioned.

OP kerodean New Member • Posts: 7

Andy F 2020 wrote:

It is stated on its official website that it supports stabilization in post in the Imaging Edge Mobile application, probably using the stored gyroscope metadata. So it should store gyroscope metatdata, but catalyst browse was not mentioned.

Awesome, I must have missed that info on the page. Thanks. I have emailed Sony to confirm, I'll update if they get back to me.

mkfed
mkfed Forum Member • Posts: 51

Sony website for imaging edge mobile "movie edit add-on" says the stabilisation using gyroscopic data is only supported for these models - DSC-RX0M2/DSC-RX100M7/ZV-1/ILCE-7C which is weird, the A7SIII also has that feature. Looks like only the desktop app Catalyst browse can do it for FX9 and A7SM3 !?

Also I think output of the mobile app is only FHD. Anyways good to know, this goes on the pro-side of my decision list for potentially buying a A7C

mkfed's gear list:mkfed's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more

mkfed wrote:

Sony website for imaging edge mobile "movie edit add-on" says the stabilisation using gyroscopic data is only supported for these models - DSC-RX0M2/DSC-RX100M7/ZV-1/ILCE-7C which is weird, the A7SIII also has that feature. Looks like only the desktop app Catalyst browse can do it for FX9 and A7SM3 !?

Also I think output of the mobile app is only FHD. Anyways good to know, this goes on the pro-side of my decision list for potentially buying a A7C

Yeah the only real dealbreaker for me was the lack of active steadyshot. If it can be done in the app or ideally in catalyst browse, then I'll reconsider it

FlyinDoc Regular Member • Posts: 338

Yes, the A7C does indeed have gyro data and can be stabilized in Catalyst Browse as shown here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7yKRiFjPmw

FlyinDoc's gear list:FlyinDoc's gear list
Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony a6300 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

FlyinDoc wrote:

Yes, the A7C does indeed have gyro data and can be stabilized in Catalyst Browse as shown here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7yKRiFjPmw

Thanks for the video, I actually saw it just a bit earlier, excellent news. makes the a7c a viable option for me again.

Mike2019 Regular Member • Posts: 489
Re: A7c has no Active Steadyshot, can footage be digitally stabilized

kerodean wrote:

I love the compact size and everything about the a7c but really the biggest dealbreaker for me is no active steadyshot which really improved the stabilisation as you can see in philip blooms review of the a7s3.

I heard someone mention though that it may be possible to use the cameras recorded gyro data and stabilize the a7c footage in catalyst browse after recording. Does anyone know if this is confirmed true or not.

Hopefully a firmware update will fix that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads