Point and shoot camera comparison 2008 vs 2019. I was surprised.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,971
Re: A few more tips and tricks . . .

recklessrickftw wrote:

Thanks so much for the awesome info. I actually have a float strap and a different wrist strap in my amazon list because I'd also like a wrist strap for my oly m10 instead of the neck one.

I was actually looking at the fuji xp lineup because they were less expensive until I found this oly used.

I usually fiddle with the exposure compensation like you said depending on what I want. Sometimes that's faster than changing the metering setting to spot, easy to knock down 2ev on this oly anyway to stop blowing out the a highlight.

+1

Enjoy your cameras!

Here's to many keepers!

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
OP recklessrickftw Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: A few more tips and tricks . . .

I will and thanks!! I meant to share this with you. Took my tg6 out on a paddle board this summer just after I bought the camera and got this picture of my sister on her paddleboard. Wouldn't have taken my iphone 7 despite being water resistant (not proof). The tg6 lens housing was actually faulty in that it would give really blurred images 80% of the time which I found out after this trip shooting, warranty replaced the lens system which fixed it... so this image is a little softer than it would be now plus I cropped it quite a bit from the original which was quite wide when I took it.

Still, a shot that would not exist if I didn't have this camera.

TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,971
Look / Think more camera?

recklessrickftw wrote:

I will and thanks!! I meant to share this with you. Took my tg6 out on a paddle board this summer just after I bought the camera and got this picture of my sister on her paddleboard. Wouldn't have taken my iphone 7 despite being water resistant (not proof). The tg6 lens housing was actually faulty in that it would give really blurred images 80% of the time which I found out after this trip shooting, warranty replaced the lens system which fixed it... so this image is a little softer than it would be now plus I cropped it quite a bit from the original which was quite wide when I took it.

Still, a shot that would not exist if I didn't have this camera.

+1

'Love the shot! I love that reflection!

Looks like you already have a bunch of keepers from that camera.

Just reminded me of another reason I like waterproof compact cameras.

Since there is no lens to change, and you don't have full control over the aperture / shutter settings, it means less thinking about those things.

So, if you want to improve your shots, you have to think about everything else.

Like looking for nice / good light to shoot in. Or looking for that unique perspective. That interesting subject matter. That interesting reflection! That interesting shadow!

Without the ability to just dial in a shallow-depth-of-field and burn away all that distracting background, you have to take the BG into consideration and work it into your picture.

IMHO, it is a great camera to force you to look more, and think more.

And then you get to turn around and use all that when you return to your ILC.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,066
Re: Point and shoot camera comparison 2008 vs 2019. I was surprised.

Two words.

Panasonic LX100.

If you need to print larger than A2 get the II model.

Best compact out there if you don't need MEGA zoom.

Raw 24-75mm. JPEG full size 24-150mm optical.

Sony RX100 models have as good IQ and a peach lens too (my reference in the Mark III) but fiddly little things with no direct controls.

LX100 is a real camera. Form, build, controls, IQ, features, Lens. All super smashing great

The colours are dreamy and the IQ is peach (up to ISO 1600)

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,155

EOS GUY wrote:

Two words.

Panasonic LX100.

If you need to print larger than A2 get the II model.

Best compact out there if you don't need MEGA zoom.

Raw 24-75mm. JPEG full size 24-150mm optical.

Sony RX100 models have as good IQ and a peach lens too (my reference in the Mark III) but fiddly little things with no direct controls.

LX100 is a real camera. Form, build, controls, IQ, features, Lens. All super smashing great

The colours are dreamy and the IQ is peach (up to ISO 1600)

I agree the LX100 is a much better camera than many give it credit for being.

I had the Leica version (Leica type 109) and it was a great camera but after owning it for a couple of years I decided to sell it and buy something that was rated a little better when it comes to image quality.

One of the biggest camera mistakes I've made (live and learn)
The Panasonic/Leica image quality is great and the camera's ergonomics is excellent.

I mostly used the camera for snapshots and some were above ISO 1600.

I've kicked myself more than once for selling the camera.

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,114
Canon vs. iphone

A few years ago I did a comparison between my Canon P&S and my iphone 6, the iphone 6 won.

EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,066

Yeah nice.  Those lx100 colours, love em every time

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads