Point and shoot camera comparison 2008 vs 2019. I was surprised.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
recklessrickftw Junior Member • Posts: 32
Point and shoot camera comparison 2008 vs 2019. I was surprised.

I have a canon powershot a720 point and shoot that I bought when our first child was born. I just bought a used Olypmus tough tg-6 about 3 months ago because I wanted more than my iphone 7s is offering me in features/control and thought I'd get a nice step up in terms of IQ from that old canon as far as something I can have in my pocket.

I have to say, aside from noise (and resolution difference), that canon camera from 2008 still looks darn good (and has 6x zoom vs 4x on the oly)! I think it's sharper out of the camera (with same photo settings) vs the oly but the oly does quite a bit of noise reduction which would reduce the sharpness. It's honestly to the point where I might sell the tough tg-6 and just keep using the little canon for my pocket camera. I don't take the tough in the water so that't wasn't a big draw... I bought it for a worry free camera I can take to the farm in the dust, on a hike, when I'm biking to work in the rain, out in the winter in the snow, etc.

Aside from the rain, the canon can do all that and if it breaks from dust or something, I can probably just grab another used P&S to replace it for under $100 if the quality hasn't changed that much in the non-sony rx1000 market.

I really expected more out of this new olympus P&S for the price but I guess that cost for oly went into making the camera a veritable tank vs a 1" sensor competitor. This oly is built really well, I have to say, it's quite impressive.

Anyone else do a comparison between and old P&S and a new one they have? I am quite shocked...

TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,929
A different Perspective . . .

recklessrickftw wrote:

I have a canon powershot a720 point and shoot that I bought when our first child was born. I just bought a used Olypmus tough tg-6 about 3 months ago because I wanted more than my iphone 7s is offering me in features/control and thought I'd get a nice step up in terms of IQ from that old canon as far as something I can have in my pocket.

I have to say, aside from noise (and resolution difference), that canon camera from 2008 still looks darn good (and has 6x zoom vs 4x on the oly)! I think it's sharper out of the camera (with same photo settings) vs the oly but the oly does quite a bit of noise reduction which would reduce the sharpness. It's honestly to the point where I might sell the tough tg-6 and just keep using the little canon for my pocket camera. I don't take the tough in the water so that't wasn't a big draw... I bought it for a worry free camera I can take to the farm in the dust, on a hike, when I'm biking to work in the rain, out in the winter in the snow, etc.

Aside from the rain, the canon can do all that and if it breaks from dust or something, I can probably just grab another used P&S to replace it for under $100 if the quality hasn't changed that much in the non-sony rx1000 market.

I really expected more out of this new olympus P&S for the price but I guess that cost for oly went into making the camera a veritable tank vs a 1" sensor competitor. This oly is built really well, I have to say, it's quite impressive.

Anyone else do a comparison between and old P&S and a new one they have? I am quite shocked...

Waterproof compacts are among my favourite cameras.

My 1st was a Fujifilm XP10 back in 2011 . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/5970004764/in/dateposted-public/

. . . and I haven't been without a waterproof compact since.

IMHO the power of the waterproof compact isn't of better IQ, it's of better perspective.

It can go where you don't want to take your other cameras.

Here's a shot I took of my youngest the 1st time she went snorkeling. IMHO . . . having the waterproof compact allowed me to get the perspective for the shot I wanted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/9228264181/in/album-72157631300869284/

And the same with this shot of us paddling away in a canoe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/7690371844/in/album-72157631300869284/

I just hung the camera over the side to capture my daughter paddling with her feet. LOL.

Or this shot while at the beach . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/7929712598/in/album-72157631300869284/

Because it is water and dust / sand resistant, I don't mind taking it right out in the water with me. And if I want to dive into the water and swim with my kids, I don't have to take the camera back to shore. It has a floating strap, so I just toss it over my shoulder and dive into the water.

Or when our gang went to the water park. The other parents took pictures of the kids in the lazy river from dry land. Me . . . I just grabbed the waterproof camera and jumped into the lazy river with the kids and got some close-up shots!

To each their own.

But for me, my waterproof compact camera is the perfect camera for those times that everyone is putting their other cameras away to be safe because we are around water, snow, sand or there is a fear of dropping our cameras! LOL.

Heck. When all those things might happen, isn't that when the fun begins? So . . . isn't that the perfect time to have a camera? LOL.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

Here's another quick shot I grabbed of my daughter and one of her friends way back when with that old Fujifilm XP10.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/7217340018/in/album-72157631300869284/

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
MUSTDOS
MUSTDOS Regular Member • Posts: 196
Re: Point and shoot camera comparison 2008 vs 2019. I was surprised.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/sonyk800i/pool/

Even older phones used to have overall image quality; look at the colors.

-- hide signature --

Engineers are the lawyers when it comes to laws of physics; Scientists are judges.

MUSTDOS's gear list:MUSTDOS's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +2 more
OP recklessrickftw Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: A different Perspective . . .

That’s a great point! I haven’t had it long enough to really use it in those situations where I’d put any other camera away. Being in central Canada, I’m not around outdoor water a lot but in the rain or those days where snow is falling, I wouldn’t have a camera out. Using a camera phone is in winter crap because you can’t wear gloves and use it, you need bare hands. Thanks for sharing the insights!

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,098
Re: A different Perspective . . .

recklessrickftw wrote:

That’s a great point! I haven’t had it long enough to really use it in those situations where I’d put any other camera away. Being in central Canada, I’m not around outdoor water a lot but in the rain or those days where snow is falling, I wouldn’t have a camera out. Using a camera phone is in winter crap because you can’t wear gloves and use it, you need bare hands. Thanks for sharing the insights!

I wouldn't be afraid of light rain, the type you might tolerate for a bit in order to get a picture.  I've used a variety of cameras in such situations, including DSLR and P&S, and never had a problem.  Of course, I keep it in a pocket or camera case/bag between shots.  Snow is even easier but do watch out for condensation on the camera and lens when you come back in.

In either case, rain or snow, I tend to let the camera sit out to dry once I come back indoors for a few hours before I put it away.

I've never babied my cameras. I figure they're made to be used, and have never had one fail.  Doesn't mean they won't, but I can always buy a replacement.  Of course, I don't throw them around either!

TacticDesigns
IQ of my waterproof compact . . .

recklessrickftw wrote:

+1

IMHO . . . if I take my waterproof camera anywhere I decided not to take any of my other cameras, and I get just one keeper, then the IQ of that shot is infinitely better than the shot I didn't get with my other cameras that I didn't bring.

Also, the power of the waterproof camera is not visible by just looking at the specs.

The power of the waterproof (tough) camera is when you happen to bring it somewhere and have it there for you to get that shot of your kid while on vacation. And . . . of being able to enjoy the moment, because you are not worrying about your camera getting damaged.

As for Olympus, one friend got the Olympus 850SW way back when. 'Liked it so much that he upgraded to an Olympus TG850i. And he still has that camera and it works flawlessly! In fact, both cameras still work!

Another of our friends I told him about the Olympus TG-1 when it first came out and he picked one up. Again. One of his favourite cameras. And he still has it. It is working flawlessly as well.

Just make sure to read the manual. And when swapping batteries, make sure the rubber seal is clean and that you close the battery compartment well.

-- hide signature --
Re: IQ of my waterproof compact . . .

That’s awesome. Apparently this tg6 is the best one you can get in the point and shoot format and I bought it used for about 60% of new only 6 months old and it was almost never used. I would hope this thing keeps on working as well as the cameras you mentioned and my trusty little old canon. You have some really wise points you’ve shared. I am guilty of grabbing both my micro 4/3 ilc and lenses and this thing and then having analysis paralysis with too much choice. 
yes, I always make sure to check the seals after opening up to charge or take out the memory card, that’s the biggest risk and also probably the easiest to watch out for

Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,139

I can understand everything you're saying and agree that especially if most of your pictures are in decent light, some of the older compact cameras are pretty good.

I have a couple of very expensive cameras but my wife still loves and still uses an older Canon SD800IS camera for everything.

Just the same, it sounds like when you bought the Olympus tough camera, you bought it for all the right reasons. Those cameras will stand up to almost any kind of bad weather or dusty conditions.

With that said, I've always wondered why these tough cameras are rated lower than many other compact cameras when it comes to image quality, and I've wondered why Olympus never put a one-inch sensor in their Tough series cameras instead of using one of the smallest sensors in the industry.
I suppose it's a little late now because it appears that Olympus is out of the camera business, but it seems that a Tough series camera with a one-inch sensor would have been a great seller.

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,046

If somebody made a "tough" one inch sensor point and shoot with even a short zoom and the same excellent macro as the TG  series I would be sorely tempted to buy it.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,046

I would almost certainly own one, that's for sure.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,716

"Anyone else do a comparison between and old P&S and a new one they have? I am quite shocked..."

That is because you are comparing a std compact camera with a WP camera that uses folded optics.

In other words it isn't a fair comparison.

Thats interesting, I didn't know that made a big difference.

yardcoyote wrote:

If somebody made a "tough" one inch sensor point and shoot with even a short zoom and the same excellent macro as the TG series I would be sorely tempted to buy it.

I'd probably buy that

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,189

I have an old point and shoot that does pretty well...however, one thing that's been pretty bad is video! Even the HD video looks horrendous. I think newer cameras have improved on this a little.

JasonTheBirder wrote:

I have an old point and shoot that does pretty well...however, one thing that's been pretty bad is video! Even the HD video looks horrendous. I think newer cameras have improved on this a little.

Yeah, video is of no use on that Canon, that's for sure.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,716

recklessrickftw wrote:

Thats interesting, I didn't know that made a big difference.

Size matters.

Compare a similarly designed WP camera to yours with a model from the same brand with similar specs but a normaly protruding lens and you will find that almost always the latter will have better image quality.

Or , take a look at the very high end lenses around, you will find that in almost all cases the larger versions having the same specs are better (say :two 105mm 1.4 ...)

BTW, I think that with those WP cameras there are 3 basic designs and most of them , regardless of the brand on it, are made in the same factory.

Sanyo used to make them , they probably still do.

Called Xacti these days, they have made more than 100 million digital cameras (for several brands) , not that many realise that.

Well then they must be good at it which bodes well for longevity of this fairly expensive P&S WP camera.

TacticDesigns
A few more tips and tricks . . .

recklessrickftw wrote:

That’s awesome. Apparently this tg6 is the best one you can get in the point and shoot format

+1

Yes.

and I bought it used for about 60% of new only 6 months old and it was almost never used.

At that price, just think of it.

If you get a few keepers from each of your vacations and even just a handful of pictures of your kid as you go to the park or beach or just goofing around town each year.

If you do that for a few years, that, IMHO would be well worth the cost of the camera.

I would hope this thing keeps on working as well as the cameras you mentioned and my trusty little old canon.

Just take care of it.

I had a Fujifilm XP50 from 2012. I gave it to my sister last year (2019). 7 years and still going strong. I'm now shooting on a Fujifilm XP80 (2015) and it is still going strong.

You have some really wise points you’ve shared.

+1

As a parent that wants pictures of my kids, I have never regretted having a waterproof compact camera for our vacations, or even just our jaunts out to the beach.

I am guilty of grabbing both my micro 4/3 ilc and lenses and this thing and then having analysis paralysis with too much choice.

No need for analysis paralysis!

You have a great set-up!

On vacation, take both.

Whenever you don't want to take your m43 around (because it is too big, or you don't want to risk it), just stuff your waterproof compact in your pocket.

That is what I do.

We went to California last year for our vacation.

I took my Nikon D7000 with a superzoom and my waterproof compact.

For certain days, I used the dSLR. Like the day we rode the tour bus around town. We sat up-top and I just fired off shots with the dSLR. Or the day our oldest tried surfing, I got shots of her with the dSLR.

But, for the day we went to the Santa Monica Pier, I knew I wanted to splash around the ocean. So I just took the waterproof camera. Not having to worry about my camera getting damaged, I was able to enjoy myself splashing around the ocean with my kids. I just made sure to really rinse off the camera well when we got back to the hotel room because of all the salt water.

yes, I always make sure to check the seals after opening up to charge or take out the memory card, that’s the biggest risk and also probably the easiest to watch out for

+1

And if you haven't gotten one yet, get a Floating Camera Strap.

These waterproof compact cameras may be waterproof, but they certainly "do not" float. If you drop it in a lake, it is going to sink to the bottom.

My favourite is the Fujifilm strap.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fujifilm-Rugged-Float-Strap-Orange/dp/B00EM4S92G/ref=sr_1_44?dchild=1&keywords=fujifilm+floating+camera+strap&qid=1600170103&sr=8-44

The way it is designed, you can open the clasp really wide. I am able to loop it over my arm and let it rest on my shoulder. So when I am splashing at the beach, I don't have to hold the camera.

As for the floating straps, I got a bunch of them. And I use them for other things too, like I put my car keys on a floating strap when we go out canoeing.

Oh, yeah.

If you haven't yet, get familiar with how to use exposure compensation and the force-flash-on and force-flash-off feature of your camera.

That, IMHO, goes a long way to getting better pictures out of a waterproof camera.

Forcing the flash on, even during the day, goes a long way to filling in shadows and making colours more vibrant. And in the evening . . . more light means less "noise", so cleaner pictures. If you want better pictures, knowing when to force-flash-on goes a long way to getting better pictures IMHO.

And since this is a camera that will be used around water (either the beach or snow) a lot, you either should put the camera into water/snow mode for those occasions, so the camera will give each shot a bit more exposure so that snow will look white and light reflecting off water won't underexpose your shots. Or . . . if you want to do that manually, just dial in a bit of + exposure compensation.

Olympus waterproof cameras (as well as Fujifilm waterproof cameras) make it easy to get to exposure compensation and flash mode!

EDIT: P.S. Oh, yeah . . . like your m43, it has a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor. So . . . shoot wide so that you can crop out 4x6 pictures if that is how you intend to print pictures.

-- hide signature --
Re: A few more tips and tricks . . .

Thanks so much for the awesome info. I actually have a float strap and a different wrist strap in my amazon list because I'd also like a wrist strap for my oly m10 instead of the neck one.

I was actually looking at the fuji xp lineup because they were less expensive until I found this oly used.

I usually fiddle with the exposure compensation like you said depending on what I want. Sometimes that's faster than changing the metering setting to spot, easy to knock down 2ev on this oly anyway to stop blowing out the a highlight.

Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,139

yardcoyote wrote:

If somebody made a "tough" one inch sensor point and shoot with even a short zoom and the same excellent macro as the TG series I would be sorely tempted to buy it.

I'd buy one even if I didn't use it very often it would be great to have as a "take anywhere" type camera or just to keep in a car in case you did need it.

Maybe there's a good reason all these tough type cameras come with a very small sensor but I'm not sure what it would be.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads