* The Weekly Image Thread 20 09 11 #472 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos
meow Senior Member • Posts: 1,321
Sign of the times?

Found this when I went through old mobile photos and thought it was funny.

There is a piggy farm in the neighbourhood. I guess the farmer has a sense of humour.

meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
Re: Bird Dog

Nice. The first one is lovely.

Lots of detail there. What do you say? Does the somewhat larger sensor make a difference?

Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 3,024

Excellent images

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +10 more
EZGritz
Re: Sign of the times?

Makin Bacon 

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +10 more
Re: Smoke in Paradise

So scary and yet so beautiful...

I realize that iving in an area they doesn't have reoccurring catastrophes is something to be grateful of.

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 38,456

The birds are nicely done, especially the first Craig and Jake is looking cute as usual. Very happy to see your post!

Andrew

Re: Experiments in Selective Colour

The effect is cool, I think. Is it done with some kind of automation, no need to create masks and so on?

My favourite is #1.

19andrew47

The effect appears without much input but colour can be selected. After the auto effect it can be refined with masks drawn by hand. The amount of control is limited so it is not as powerful as can be done by hand but it can produce good effects.

Andrew

EZGritz
Miscellaneous - Washington State

Skagit Valley

Hotel Bellwether Tower, Bellingham

Bellingham Harbor

Mukilteo Lighthouse

Edison, Skagit Valley

Bellingham Harbor

North Cascades east of Bellingham

Top of Mt. Rainier or Baker - forgot which

North Cascades - the water really is this color

Melbourne, Australia

Seattle at night

Kalaloch Beach cliff, Forks Wa.

Re: Mask Up

In my country the authorities advice against wearing a mask. One of their reasons is that if handled wrong they can increase the risk.

Originally I thought that advice was really stupid. But I've changed my mind somewhat. I constantly see people that have managed to source some now very expensive masks handle them wrong. They touch them with their hands. They pull them down to eat or even to talk to someone (!!!) and then pull them up again. They take them off coming out of a shop and put them in their pocket only to take the same mask from their pocket and put it on before entering the next shop. I've even seen people throw used masks in open waste baskets. Someone is going to empty that waste baskets och poor people dig through the baskets looking for deposit cans and bottles. I see masks on the streets among the other garbage.

Of course, if the advice had been to wear masks maybe there would also have been a lot of information in papers and on TV about how to handle them correctly and maybe people would have listened and learnt.

All in all, I've gone from pro masks to being on the fence about them.

So I don't know if masks are good or bad, but I know I think your images are good.

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 12,646

I did look at a B&W version, Andrew.  It looks too nice.  I wanted the bile yellow and Halloween orange tints to show to convey the noxious conditions.

I also wanted the color of the sunsets to be over the top and in your face disgusting, just as the conditions here are.  I will admit to perhaps having had a previous slight inclination toward enhancing the color just a tad, but I ain't like that no more.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....using the words of a great philosopher with a bad back. 

As if I have it so bad while so many have lost their homes.  Rich

Rich Z

Thanks.  What?  No recurring catastrophes?  I've heard (from a Norwegian) about the Swedish lutefisk going bad every few years.  Whew.  

Sorry.  I inhaled too much smoke today.  Rich

EZGritz

If you only touch the side of the mask facing away from your face it should not be a problem if you touch it repeatedly. While it's on your face it will capture some of the virus if its a proper mask. The less virus that gets into your system the less sick you become - if at all. Most immune systems can suppress some of it. Depends on how healthy you are. If you expose the mask to sunlight it will kill the virus.

Don't touch your face with your hand before washing your hand. This is hard to avoid. I always wash my hands when I arrive home - when I remember to. I always bring the mask home and throw it away with the trash so it ends up in a landfill.

No form of protection is perfect if you are out in public. No protection = is worse, IMO.

19andrew47

It is a terrible situation Rich. I am glad I do not have to live with that type of fear. No floods and no real threat of massive forest fires any where near by.   Dangerous wind storms and tornadoes are rare here as are earth tremors, but they do occur. Ice storms and loss of power I guess would be relatively common here. I imagine the air is not great to breath in many areas of the west coast now.

Andrew

Rich Z

Are those three individual birds? And all three in 43 seconds? Wow.

I know it's the same dog. You caught an alert pose.

I browse youtube for music when I do PP. I found the video below by chance. Not a basketball fan, I'd never seen such a thing and was delighted. It's the Toronto Raptors. Canadians are often surprising when they drop their nice guys act. I find this allusion disgusting and like it a lot. Rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKheFMN3Gz8

EZGritz wrote:

If you only touch the side of the mask facing away from your face it should not be a problem if you touch it repeatedly. While it's on your face it will capture some of the virus if its a proper mask. The less virus that gets into your system the less sick you become - if at all. Most immune systems can suppress some of it. Depends on how healthy you are. If you expose the mask to sunlight it will kill the virus.Don't touch your face with your hand before washing your hand. This is hard to avoid. I always wash my hands when I arrive home - when I remember to.

I always do that too. Hands, lower arms and face. Hands twice. Shops ran out of alcohol in few days. After a while I managed to get hold of half a liter - to a much higher price than before the pest, of course. I've only used 1/4 of that. I was lucky and found some "spray pens" that can be refilled at the back of a drawer in my desk. I spray when I come out of shops where I have touched things, but I try to shop just once a week. Some shops and also the post office has alcohol one can use, so that's good.

I always bring the mask home and throw it away with the trash so it ends up in a landfill.

No form of protection is perfect if you are out in public. No protection = is worse, IMO.

I don't think the mask protects the wearer at all. It protects others from the wearer.

JoeNap2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,475

Unfortunately it's gotten a bit cliche... Can you do one of those Spock mind melds to give me some of your post processing super powers???

JoeNap2's gear list:JoeNap2's gear list
Samsung L74 Wide Olympus E-500 Nikon D7000

Mask Weary... I use mine, but there are moments I forget it's 2020 and life's gone a bit off the rails.

Re: Oldies

oldies but goodies... love the Pigeon Point pic!

Great selection of post apocalypse Cali...! Looks like you had a bit more of old Mr. Sun on Wednesday than we did.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads