* The Weekly Image Thread 20 09 11 #472 *

Started 6 months ago | Photos
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 3,024
Re: Smoke in Paradise

A shame. For three decades we argued over thinning forests and clearing underbrush for fire mitigation. Now nature is doing it.

The state of Washington had offshore wind pushing smoke from eastern Washington fires west of the Cascades. It hasn't been too bad until today. Still nothing like Oregon or California.

There is a giant smoke cloud off our coast from Oregon and California fires. Now the winds are reversing. Normally this would clean our air but this time it's blowing the smoke onshore.

Fires to the east, smoke from the west, we can't win either way the wind blows.

Not anywhere near what Oregon and California are facing. The sky is grey instead of blue but it's bright.

Washington's Mountains are wet but any area can dry out after a five-year drought. It could happen here.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +10 more
EZGritz

I'll say out loud the climate has been changing since the beginning of time, since way before people existed. It will keep changing to the end of time. Humans cannot stop it. It is bigger than we are and anything we can do about it. The earth had overheating, global fire, ice ages, plant and animal die-offs. We lived for at least the last 2,000 years without natural disasters on a planetary scale. Time's up.

We don't have the ability to mitigate it yet we are still building new homes and rebuilding burned homes and flooded homes in known fire areas, and flood planes, where it has burned and flooded multiple times in the recent past. The government pays for replacement meaning people who don't live in these areas pay for people who want to live there and rebuild at somebody else's expense. It needs to stop. Want to build in a flood plane or a fire-prone area but can't obtain a mortgage because you can't insure the house? Build where you can insure it. House flooded or burned? Move where it doesn't or rebuild at your own expense. Don't move next to the airport and complain about the noise.

Replacing fossil fuel is decades away, too much to do to go much faster if we want to have power while we transition. It takes decades to build the capacity. Some countries are still increasing the use of fossil fuel including coal - China and India in a very big way, faster than we can reduce fossil fuel use.

Every energy replacement has problems. Not enough storage for wind and solar. It doesn't work at night. Kills wildlife, destroys habitat. Dirty power has to be used to increase the capacity for clean power. Nuclear too expensive to build, dangerous, takes decades to obtain permits.

Convert all the cars and trucks, eventually some airplanes and helicopters to electric power. I'm a big fan of electric cars. New taxes will be needed because the roads will fall apart. Gas tax pays a lot of the cost of building and maintenance. Fossil fuel has to be burned to knock down mountains to mine the materials and to manufacture electric cars and trucks and recycle gas and diesel vehicles.

Even if we do all of it flat out we have to pay up. There is no excuse for three decades of horrible forest management. Now nature will do it.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +10 more
WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 9,936

EZGritz wrote:

I'll say out loud the climate has been changing since the beginning of time, since way before people existed. It will keep changing to the end of time. Humans cannot stop it. It is bigger than we are and anything we can do about it. The earth had overheating, global fire, ice ages, plant and animal die-offs. We lived for at least the last 2,000 years without natural disasters on a planetary scale. Time's up.

We don't have the ability to mitigate it yet we are still building new homes and rebuilding burned homes and flooded homes in known fire areas, and flood planes, where it has burned and flooded multiple times in the recent past. The government pays for replacement meaning people who don't live in these areas pay for people who want to live there and rebuild at somebody else's expense. It needs to stop. Want to build in a flood plane or a fire-prone area but can't obtain a mortgage because you can't insure the house? Build where you can insure it. House flooded or burned? Move where it doesn't or rebuild at your own expense. Don't move next to the airport and complain about the noise.

Replacing fossil fuel is decades away, too much to do to go much faster if we want to have power while we transition. It takes decades to build the capacity. Some countries are still increasing the use of fossil fuel including coal - China and India in a very big way, faster than we can reduce fossil fuel use.

Every energy replacement has problems. Not enough storage for wind and solar. It doesn't work at night. Kills wildlife, destroys habitat. Dirty power has to be used to increase the capacity for clean power. Nuclear too expensive to build, dangerous, takes decades to obtain permits.

Convert all the cars and trucks, eventually some airplanes and helicopters to electric power. I'm a big fan of electric cars. New taxes will be needed because the roads will fall apart. Gas tax pays a lot of the cost of building and maintenance. Fossil fuel has to be burned to knock down mountains to mine the materials and to manufacture electric cars and trucks and recycle gas and diesel vehicles.

Even if we do all of it flat out we have to pay up. There is no excuse for three decades of horrible forest management. Now nature will do it.

Definitely a problem.. the earth has been warming since 1900 ..just a symptom ... because Malthus wasn't wrong, he just had bad timing ....

WhyNot

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674

Thanks, WhyNot.  Well, I grew up in Southern California, so I'm no stranger to fires.  I watched as subdivisions and high end homes were built on hillsides and in the mountains which had burnt just few years before, and I had watched that, too.

I'll say it.  The Biological Imperative will force us to witlessly breed ourselves into oblivion instead of compensating for what is surely to come.  It is chilling to consider, even though I won't see it.

Be safe and well and don't take any more chances with that XX dog walker who passes your stoop twice a day.     Rich

Palin0_0
Palin0_0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,558
Re: Oldies

Wonder is there people crazy enough to hike down the canyon all the way to the river........I for one would love it, when i was more younger ,,,,,,,,but still,    nice pics you got there..

-- hide signature --

The Best Camera is the one that you have on your Hands.

Palin0_0's gear list:Palin0_0's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +19 more
Rich Z

Thanks, Craig.  That is a good way to describe the experience, intriguing.  Rich

Palin0_0

It is a sad thing see how much smoke is in the air.......hope it will rain soon at least to put in control some fires......nice sunsets....

-- hide signature --

Rich Z

Thanks, Roy.  Some rain would be nice.  Rich

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 8,585

Rich Z wrote:

Thanks, Craig. That is a good way to describe the experience, intriguing. Rich

The magnitude of the tragedy that is unfolding in the west is difficult to describe, yet there are moments of beauty, as well as horror.  I have mixed feelings about the camera. It does give us a chance to capture both.

Stay safe.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
EZGritz

I just returned from a store. Visibility in Seattle is 1.5 miles, not as bad as SF maybe comparable with the Mendocino Coast.

Bezos and Musk think it's hopeless. Their solution = find another planet. Like so much technology, it eventually catches up with science fiction.

EZGritz
Re: Mask Up

Oh, yeah! Of course!

EZGritz

I made time to go only once and didn't stay long enough. Snowstorm blew in. Shame on me. Need to spend a week there. Awesome place.

EZGritz

Yes, they hike down, they camp there, they shoot the rapids in rafts. Just an upside-down mountain.

EZGritz

After returning from a store, you have better visibility than I have in Kirkland, Rich. I can barely make out the other side of Lake Washington, 1.5 miles away. I can usually see the top of Mt. St Helens 125 miles away.

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 38,475
Re: Experiments in Selective Colour

Seem I ought to have taken a better look WN.  The plug in is GRFX Studio.  It came as part of the 'Ultimate' package for PSP.  The particular effect is named 'Color Accents'.

Andrew

19andrew47

A nice set Rich even if the colour is 'off'!  The peaceful waters with the bridge is quite nice, colour aside.  Change them all to monochrome and no one would be the wiser!

Andrew

19andrew47

All really nicely done Harvey.

Andrew

Craig from Nevada
Bird Dog

Bird.

Dog

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
Palin0_0
Re: Bird Dog

👍 nice set

-- hide signature --

Craig from Nevada
Re: Bird Dog

Palin0_0 wrote:

👍 nice set

Thank you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads