Remove Nikon p1000 exposure limits

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
RoLu Junior Member • Posts: 45
Remove Nikon p1000 exposure limits

Nikon needs to give us firmware update that removes these ridiculous exposure limits. What bulb mode is that where you can only shoot 60 second exposures and only use ISO 100? Yes p1000 has a small sensor, but no one is expecting full frame image quality anyway. I bought the camera for birds, but I want to do some astrophotography too, but nope says Nikon. I hope some day someone makes custom firmware to get rid of exposure limits.

I'm doing some long exposure astrophotography of deep sky objects with my p1000 and equatorial tracking mount soon.

Nikon Coolpix P100 Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,130
Re: Remove Nikon p1000 exposure limits

RoLu wrote:

Nikon needs to give us firmware update that removes these ridiculous exposure limits. What bulb mode is that where you can only shoot 60 second exposures and only use ISO 100? Yes p1000 has a small sensor, but no one is expecting full frame image quality anyway.

The sensor in the P1000 is a  l o n g  way off from FF.

I think its 20 times smaller sensor than FF.

Smaller than APS-C

Smaller than 4/3

Smaller than 1" type  sensor (Sony RX10/100)

Smaller than the old 2/3 sensor..and yes even smaller than the small 1.1/7" sensor.

I bought the camera for birds, but I want to do some astrophotography too, but nope says Nikon.

Not sure they thought folks buying a superzoom would use it for long exposures.

I think they had other shooters in mind when making the worlds longest reaching superzoom.

They only recently added RAW.

I hope some day someone makes custom firmware to get rid of exposure limits.

I hope for you they do. But firmware wont help the noise.

I'm doing some long exposure astrophotography of deep sky objects with my p1000 and equatorial tracking mount soon.

Hope it works out for you.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

OP RoLu Junior Member • Posts: 45

ANAYV wrote:

I think they had other shooters in mind when making the worlds longest reaching superzoom.

I bought it for bird spotting and photography. Just wanted to test it for astrophotography too because of the high magnifications. I have two dslr camera and telescope that I use for astrophotography mainly.

Yeah but I'm going to do image stacking, so noise doesn't matter. 60 second exposure is too short for deepsky astrophotography with big F numbers.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Thanks, you too.

OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 7,460

P950 removes the limits, you should try long exposure astrophotography on it, perhaps conduct a test at various focal lengths to see how short the shutter speed needs to be to avoid star trails?

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,130

RoLu wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

I bought it for bird spotting and photography. Just wanted to test it for astrophotography too because of the high magnifications.

I see.

I have two dslr camera and telescope that I use for astrophotography mainly.

I' m clueless about this.

Yeah but I'm going to do image stacking, so noise doesn't matter.

Oh. OK.

Haven't done any of that yet.

I was trying to think what Nikon designed this camera for. Of course whatever we want to shoot with it, is up to us.

I've yet to venture into Astrophotography.

60 second exposure is too short for deepsky astrophotography with big F numbers.

Oh. Didnt know this either.

Seems I opened my mouth too soon

Would love to see some of these type shots from you.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Thanks, you too.

šŸ‘

ANAYV

OutsideTheMatrix

ANAYV wrote:

RoLu wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

I bought it for bird spotting and photography. Just wanted to test it for astrophotography too because of the high magnifications.

I see.

I have two dslr camera and telescope that I use for astrophotography mainly.

I' m clueless about this.

Yeah but I'm going to do image stacking, so noise doesn't matter.

Oh. OK.

Haven't done any of that yet.

I was trying to think what Nikon designed this camera for. Of course whatever we want to shoot with it, is up to us.

I've yet to venture into Astrophotography.

60 second exposure is too short for deepsky astrophotography with big F numbers.

Oh. Didnt know this either.

Seems I opened my mouth too soon

Would love to see some of these type shots from you.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Thanks, you too.

šŸ‘

ANAYV

for easy automatic stacking please try free Deep Sky Stacker software and Sequator (also free) which removes light pollution.

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 641

ANAYV wrote:

They restored raw.

Coolpix cameras used to support raw format. If Iā€™m not mistaken, the last model supporting raw was 8800. 
Later they took it out, to restore in P1000.

-- hide signature --

Darius

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,019

DAP MV wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

They restored raw.

Coolpix cameras used to support raw format. If I’m not mistaken, the last model supporting raw was 8800.

Maybe I'm understanding your post, but I'm not sure this is correct.
My P6000 (8-2008) came well after the 8800 (9-2004), and it has raw.
Many others produced after the 8800 and before the P1000 also have raw.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 641

Patco wrote:

DAP MV wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

They restored raw.

Coolpix cameras used to support raw format. If I’m not mistaken, the last model supporting raw was 8800.

In this case I was mistaken, but only to certain extent.

My point, which I apparently did not express clearly, was that Nikon's development process of Coolpix series of cameras consists of periods of evolution and devolution. Nikon adds useful features to their cameras to remove then in the subsequent models, and sometimes reinstate them in the models that follow later.

I am not familiar with P6000, but I am familiar with P90-P900, which were released later, and did not support raw format.

Same goes for for the hot shoe: 8800 had it, P90-P900 did not, P1000&P950 did have it. (Did P6000 have it?)

Or the lens thread. You could not screw anything on the P90 lens.

An interesting one is a small b/w LCD display on the top of the camera. 8800 was equipped with it, and later it vanished. (Usefulness of such a display is a potential subject for another post, though.)

I would be interesting to make a chart showing those changes over time for all Coolpix models...

-- hide signature --

Darius

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
OutsideTheMatrix

DAP MV wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

They restored raw.

all cameras have raw, the manufacturer has to deliberately cripple it.

-- hide signature --

OutsideTheMatrix

DAP MV wrote:

Patco wrote:

DAP MV wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

They restored raw.

In this case I was mistaken, but only to certain extent.

My point, which I apparently did not express clearly, was that Nikon's development process of Coolpix series of cameras consists of periods of evolution and devolution. Nikon adds useful features to their cameras to remove then in the subsequent models, and sometimes reinstate them in the models that follow later.

I am not familiar with P6000, but I am familiar with P90-P900, which were released later, and did not support raw format.

Same goes for for the hot shoe: 8800 had it, P90-P900 did not, P1000&P950 did have it. (Did P6000 have it?)

Or the lens thread. You could not screw anything on the P90 lens.

An interesting one is a small b/w LCD display on the top of the camera. 8800 was equipped with it, and later it vanished. (Usefulness of such a display is a potential subject for another post, though.)

I would be interesting to make a chart showing those changes over time for all Coolpix models...

lol I hate it when manufacturers cripple features, I've had a coolpix camera since the E990 and later the E4500.  I have the P900 now but I went to Olympus for a more fully featured camera, the EM10Mk2.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads