Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Classic Shell still works in the latest version of Windows 10 or you can use Open Shell which is largely based on Classic Shell https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

Note you can configure Classic / Open Shell so mouse hover over the Start icon opens Classic / Open Shell and left click opens the Windows 10 Start menu - so you can use either.

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,751

WryCuda wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

In truth I have spent very little time with W10, I should try harder. But...say I plug in a usb stick, there is no icon pop up on the desktop, I have to go hunting in menus.

Try Windows Explorer.

Yes, and Autoplay can be set to automatically open Explorer when a USB drive is inserted. Very convenient.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-autoplay-windows-10

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
OP ciaran33 Contributing Member • Posts: 638

Ah!

ciaran33's gear list:ciaran33's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014

SC489 wrote:

Classic Shell still works in the latest version of Windows 10 or you can use Open Shell which is largely based on Classic Shell https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

Note you can configure Classic / Open Shell so mouse hover over the Start icon opens Classic / Open Shell and left click opens the Windows 10 Start menu - so you can use either.

I've been using Classic Shell since I've upgraded my OS to W10. I hated the screen poluted with all those stupid tiles. Still works great, no issues.

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,030

mmarian wrote:

SC489 wrote:

I've been using Classic Shell since I've upgraded my OS to W10. I hated the screen poluted with all those stupid tiles. Still works great, no issues.

I am using W10 since it was released. Never ever had a screen polluted with tiles. Could you please elaborate what are you talking about?

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,501

Sagittarius wrote:

mmarian wrote:

SC489 wrote:

I am using W10 since it was released. Never ever had a screen polluted with tiles. Could you please elaborate what are you talking about?

Those silly gigantic tiles

They look like something from kindergarten.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7

WryCuda wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

mmarian wrote:

SC489 wrote:

I would respectfully  disagree. I have tiles representing my mostly used SW in the start menu. My main monitor (where I keep my task bar) is WQHD and I can perfectly see these tiles with my old eyes. BTW they look exactly like icons on desktop when you put one there.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,019

WryCuda wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

mmarian wrote:

SC489 wrote:

You can simply remove the tiles if you don't like them.
Right click a tile and "Unpin from Start".
Start menu tiles have always been optional:
How to Remove Tiles and Get Classic Start Menu

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,333
Classic Shell is now Open Shell

WryCuda wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

Hi, my wife is struggling to use her Win 10 laptop, especially now that she needs to do Zoom meetings. She can whizz around her iPad and iPhone better than me, though I like my Mac Book Pro. I've had Windows laptops for years, but the Win 10 interface has me befuddled. There was a Classic Shell app to restore the old Win 7 look, but it hasn't been updated for years. (Dear me, I'm beginning to sound like a Luddite). Any thoughts?

Yes, for some users, Win8 was unusable until Classic Shell came to the rescue. I don't know the full story on CS for Win10, but I believe that the developers just gave up.

Yes, development of Classic Shell ended a while back.  But it was revived and now goes under the name Open Shell .

It works fine on Windows 10.  I started using Classic Shell when I switched to Windows 7 and continue to use it today as Open Shell with Windows 10.

Microsoft seems to not have any good ideas for a usable interface.  Their "live tiles" and default interface for Windows 10 are hopeless, in my opinion.  I am sure some people love it, but I sure don't.  Open Shell allows me to take back control of my desktop.

I even have a Windows XP skin for Windows 10. 

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +50 more
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014

When I inatalled the W10 and saw all the childish looking tiles, I installed the Classic Shell and never looked back. I get it that you can customize and remove the tiles but I did not now that then and was horrified by the look of my screen after the first boot up. As I said, Classic Shell did it for me then and it still does it today.

Is there any drawback/performance degradation of my computer from having the Classic Shell operating in the background? If yes,I might look at it again and uninstall and customise the W10 start up screen to my liking.

Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,457

mmarian wrote:

Is there any drawback/performance degradation of my computer from having the Classic Shell operating in the background?

A look at Open Shell in the Task Manager tells me it uses 0% CPU time (obviously rounded) and 1.7 MB of RAM.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,579
search bar

The easiest way to find stuff on windows 10 is just to search.  There's a big search bar right in the bottom corner by the "start" button.  Need an app or setting?  Type it in there and search.

Other ways to make life easier is to pin stuff to the start and taskbar.  (right click, pin)

I would not recommend installing some classic shell thing.  It's just going to delay the inevitable and make your system run worse.  Just fumble through learning the OS and will become second nature before long.

WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,501

mmarian wrote:

When I inatalled the W10 and saw all the childish looking tiles, I installed the Classic Shell and never looked back. I get it that you can customize and remove the tiles but I did not now that then and was horrified by the look of my screen after the first boot up. As I said, Classic Shell did it for me then and it still does it today.

Is there any drawback/performance degradation of my computer from having the Classic Shell operating in the background? If yes,I might look at it again and uninstall and customise the W10 start up screen to my liking.

I ran Classic Shell for about 4 years on my Win8.1 "netbook" and never had a worry, and it seems that it's OK with Win10 as well. I now just ignore things that I don't like, as I'm more interested in the applications than the OS.

I'm pleased that someone else shares my opinion of the "childish and gigantic tiles". I presume that they are that size for touch operation. Funny thing, even with my large hands, I can use an iPad very efficiently, even though items are often set at 3mm pitch (DPReview forum list, for example).

Seems that MS is afflicted with the "ponytail" school of GUI design.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,019

WryCuda wrote:

I'm pleased that someone else shares my opinion of the "childish and gigantic tiles". I presume that they are that size for touch operation. Funny thing, even with my large hands, I can use an iPad very efficiently, even though items are often set at 3mm pitch (DPReview forum list, for example).

There is a choice of size for tiles. The "Small" (which is smaller than the desktop icon at default size)  is 1/4 the size of a "Medium" tile.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,751
Re: search bar

tkbslc wrote:

I would not recommend installing some classic shell thing. It's just going to delay the inevitable and make your system run worse.

This PC has two Windows 10 installs on separate boot drives; one has Classic Shell, one does not. There's no detectable performance difference, and I have no problem using either. To CS or not CS is, as far as I can tell, purely a matter of personal preference.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,085

Patco wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

There is a choice of size for tiles. The "Small" (which is smaller than the desktop icon at default size) is 1/4 the size of a "Medium" tile.

I don't understand this "problem". Are people using Win 10 in Tablet Mode? The only place I see these tiles is off to the side on those rare times when I open the Start Menu. Win10 looks pretty much like an improved Win7 to me. I skipped Win8 because it was ALL tiles, but Win10 seems to work essentially identical to Win7. What am I missing?

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,901

gscotten wrote:

Patco wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

There is a choice of size for tiles. The "Small" (which is smaller than the desktop icon at default size) is 1/4 the size of a "Medium" tile.

I don't understand this "problem". Are people using Win 10 in Tablet Mode? The only place I see these tiles is off to the side on those rare times when I open the Start Menu. Win10 looks pretty much like an improved Win7 to me. I skipped Win8 because it was ALL tiles, but Win10 seems to work essentially identical to Win7. What am I missing?

I don't think there's a "problem", it's just that I and others find OpenShell a better UI.

I'm sure that isn't "problem" for you (or I hope not!)

It's just personal preference.

The W10 start menu shows only a small fraction of the programs on the list, and I have to scroll down about 6 times to get to the bottom of the list.

The Open Shell start menu shows the whole start menu on screen at once (although it's cropped in this screen scrape).  For me it's easier to find stuff that way, especially if it's something I rarely use and can't remember the name until I see it.

Open Shell is also much more configurable.

There isn't a "problem", just a preference.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800

Simon Garrett wrote:

gscotten wrote:

Patco wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

I don't think there's a "problem", it's just that I and others find OpenShell a better UI.

The W10 start menu shows only a small fraction of the programs on the list, and I have to scroll down about 6 times to get to the bottom of the list.

The Open Shell start menu shows the whole start menu on screen at once (although it's cropped in this screen scrape). For me it's easier to find stuff that way, especially if it's something I rarely use and can't remember the name until I see it.

Have you tried START in full screen mode?

-- hide signature --

Best regards

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: ponytail school of UI design

WryCuda wrote:

Do you have somebody in mind? Ponytail (as in MLP = my little ponytail) was Dan Lyons' nickname for Jonathan Schwartz, worst CEO of all time who wasn't a crook. MLP did not do GUI design, he just oversold Java and lost money selling software for nothing, but making it up in volume. So he said.

The idiot who took away the Start menu in W8 and loaded up the UI with swiping gestures and charms (whatever they were) was Steven Sinofsky, who didn't have enough hair for a ponytail. Sinofsky doth tweet, if you're interested.

Maybe swiping gestures weren't so silly... Android phones use them heavily since 7 or 8.

Jakob Nielsen and Don Norman run a well-respected UI consultancy, nngroup.com. Neither has a ponytail.

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,901

Sagittarius wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

gscotten wrote:

Patco wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

The Open Shell start menu shows the whole start menu on screen at once (although it's cropped in this screen scrape). For me it's easier to find stuff that way, especially if it's something I rarely use and can't remember the name until I see it.

Have you tried START in full screen mode?

Yes, it's fine.  As I say, nothing wrong with the W10 Start Menu, and I sometimes use it.  With Open Shell installed, if you hold shift when clicking the start button, you get W10 start menu.  But I prefer Open Shell.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads