Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
ciaran33 Contributing Member • Posts: 638
Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Hi, my wife is struggling to use her Win 10 laptop, especially now that she needs to do Zoom meetings. She can whizz around her iPad and iPhone better than me, though I like my Mac Book Pro. I've had Windows laptops for years, but the Win 10 interface has me befuddled. There was a Classic Shell app to restore the old Win 7 look, but it hasn't been updated for years. (Dear me, I'm beginning to sound like a Luddite). Any thoughts?

 ciaran33's gear list:ciaran33's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,573
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?
1

ciaran33 wrote:

Hi, my wife is struggling to use her Win 10 laptop, especially now that she needs to do Zoom meetings. She can whizz around her iPad and iPhone better than me, though I like my Mac Book Pro. I've had Windows laptops for years, but the Win 10 interface has me befuddled. There was a Classic Shell app to restore the old Win 7 look, but it hasn't been updated for years. (Dear me, I'm beginning to sound like a Luddite). Any thoughts?

Yes, for some users, Win8 was unusable until Classic Shell came to the rescue. I don't know the full story on CS for Win10, but I believe that the developers just gave up.

Win10 has multiple ways of starting programs...

  1. Start menu and Scroll the list (handy for less frequently used programs)
  2. Task bar items for frequently used programs (single click).
  3. Click on files in Windows Explorer to call up associated applications.
  4. Shortcuts on the desktop. Frequently used programs or Network links (double click).
  5. Use the "Gigantic Tiles" on the desktop.

#2 and #3 would be my most frequently used method.

#5 I always thought was some sort of joke, referring back to Win8. I think my wife accesses games that way.

 WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
tomoo1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,944
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?
4

Hi you still can use the Classic Shell app as I do on all my win 10 machines just download the last version of it, it run's fine on all my PC's.

Phil.

-- hide signature --

NPS Member
One's life is not measured by the two dates upon your tombstone, but how you lived the dash in between them

mclewis Senior Member • Posts: 1,347
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?
4

ciaran33 wrote:

Hi, my wife is struggling to use her Win 10 laptop, especially now that she needs to do Zoom meetings. She can whizz around her iPad and iPhone better than me, though I like my Mac Book Pro. I've had Windows laptops for years, but the Win 10 interface has me befuddled. There was a Classic Shell app to restore the old Win 7 look, but it hasn't been updated for years. (Dear me, I'm beginning to sound like a Luddite). Any thoughts?

It isn't that much different from Windows 7 in reality.  There is a start menu just like previous versions where you can find your installed programs.  It is laid a little differently but you should be able to scroll through it.

You can pin programs to your taskbar just like you have been able to do since Vista.

You can have desktop shortcuts to your programs just like you have been able to do since Windows 95.

The file manage isn't very different at all to the Windows 7 version.

The Windows settings are moving to the settings app which is new but just have a good look at it if you need to tweak a settings and you should be able to work it out.

Just learn the new interface as it will be easier in the long run.

OP ciaran33 Contributing Member • Posts: 638
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

 ciaran33's gear list:ciaran33's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,959
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?
2

ciaran33 wrote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

Open Shell took over Classic Shell when the developers of Classic Shell no longer had time or inclination to do it.

The W10 start menu is OK, but I prefer Open Shell as it has a more compact display of the start menu, it's easier to find things and it's more flexible.  And it's much more like Windows 7!

-- hide signature --

Simon

 Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,443
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

ciaran33 wrote:

Hi, my wife is struggling to use her Win 10 laptop, especially now that she needs to do Zoom meetings. She can whizz around her iPad and iPhone better than me, though I like my Mac Book Pro. I've had Windows laptops for years, but the Win 10 interface has me befuddled. There was a Classic Shell app to restore the old Win 7 look, but it hasn't been updated for years. (Dear me, I'm beginning to sound like a Luddite). Any thoughts?

Try telling her that the Win 10 Start Menu is simply a large taskbar, which is what it is. That should sort it out. Did for family members when they first switched to Win 10 Although I had to make the program icons small for one person, because then it looked the same as the taskbar

Ian

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,876
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Simon Garrett wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

Open Shell took over Classic Shell when the developers of Classic Shell no longer had time or inclination to do it.

The W10 start menu is OK, but I prefer Open Shell as it has a more compact display of the start menu, it's easier to find things and it's more flexible. And it's much more like Windows 7!

Does Open Shell read and obey the "Menu Settings.xml" file from Classic Shell?

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,959
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

Open Shell took over Classic Shell when the developers of Classic Shell no longer had time or inclination to do it.

The W10 start menu is OK, but I prefer Open Shell as it has a more compact display of the start menu, it's easier to find things and it's more flexible. And it's much more like Windows 7!

Does Open Shell read and obey the "Menu Settings.xml" file from Classic Shell?

I'm not sure.  I installed Open Shell first on a machine that had Classic Shell installed, but I can't remember if it took the previous settings or whether I had to set them again.

-- hide signature --

Simon

 Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,876
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Simon Garrett wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

Open Shell took over Classic Shell when the developers of Classic Shell no longer had time or inclination to do it.

The W10 start menu is OK, but I prefer Open Shell as it has a more compact display of the start menu, it's easier to find things and it's more flexible. And it's much more like Windows 7!

Does Open Shell read and obey the "Menu Settings.xml" file from Classic Shell?

I'm not sure. I installed Open Shell first on a machine that had Classic Shell installed, but I can't remember if it took the previous settings or whether I had to set them again.

I guess I'll find out if/when Classic Shell fails.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,071
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

Open Shell took over Classic Shell when the developers of Classic Shell no longer had time or inclination to do it.

The W10 start menu is OK, but I prefer Open Shell as it has a more compact display of the start menu, it's easier to find things and it's more flexible. And it's much more like Windows 7!

Does Open Shell read and obey the "Menu Settings.xml" file from Classic Shell?

I'm not sure. I installed Open Shell first on a machine that had Classic Shell installed, but I can't remember if it took the previous settings or whether I had to set them again.

I guess I'll find out if/when Classic Shell fails.

I expect I'm in a minority in this thread, but while I found "Classic Shell" to be very useful for Windows 8.0 (but not 8.1), I find the menu system in Windows 10 to be actually better than that of Windows 7.  It's just a matter of acclimatization.
As always (and especially for Win 7 vs 10 topics), YMMV. 🙂

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,135
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

Open Shell took over Classic Shell when the developers of Classic Shell no longer had time or inclination to do it.

The W10 start menu is OK, but I prefer Open Shell as it has a more compact display of the start menu, it's easier to find things and it's more flexible. And it's much more like Windows 7!

Does Open Shell read and obey the "Menu Settings.xml" file from Classic Shell?

I'm not sure. I installed Open Shell first on a machine that had Classic Shell installed, but I can't remember if it took the previous settings or whether I had to set them again.

I guess I'll find out if/when Classic Shell fails.

Same with me, I have Classic Shell installed on 3 Win10 machines and I'm satisfied with the interface & operation.

Cheers,
Doug

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,230
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?
4

I do not understand why people are having problems with W10 interface. Start is pretty similar to W7. It also allows you to pin frequently used SW to Start and when you click on Start button, it brings up a set of tiles (one click) , which is hidden otherwise. For the rest there is search next to start. Just type in a SW name and it beings up a shortcut for it. What can be more convenient and efficient than that? BTW I hate desktop clattered with icons.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

 Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,876
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Doug J wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

Open Shell took over Classic Shell when the developers of Classic Shell no longer had time or inclination to do it.

The W10 start menu is OK, but I prefer Open Shell as it has a more compact display of the start menu, it's easier to find things and it's more flexible. And it's much more like Windows 7!

Does Open Shell read and obey the "Menu Settings.xml" file from Classic Shell?

I'm not sure. I installed Open Shell first on a machine that had Classic Shell installed, but I can't remember if it took the previous settings or whether I had to set them again.

I guess I'll find out if/when Classic Shell fails.

Same with me, I have Classic Shell installed on 3 Win10 machines and I'm satisfied with the interface & operation.

I'm happy either with or without; two older Windows 10 installs have Classic Shell, the other PCs are plain Windows 10. It doesn't matter much to me, because all my frequently-used programs are contained in a custom toolbar inside a left-side vertical Windows taskbar. The desktop icons are all hidden as I never use them (except within the Sandbox).

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,135
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Austinian wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

ciaran33 wrote:

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll look into Classic (Open) Shell.

Open Shell took over Classic Shell when the developers of Classic Shell no longer had time or inclination to do it.

The W10 start menu is OK, but I prefer Open Shell as it has a more compact display of the start menu, it's easier to find things and it's more flexible. And it's much more like Windows 7!

Does Open Shell read and obey the "Menu Settings.xml" file from Classic Shell?

I'm not sure. I installed Open Shell first on a machine that had Classic Shell installed, but I can't remember if it took the previous settings or whether I had to set them again.

I guess I'll find out if/when Classic Shell fails.

Same with me, I have Classic Shell installed on 3 Win10 machines and I'm satisfied with the interface & operation.

I'm happy either with or without; two older Windows 10 installs have Classic Shell, the other PCs are plain Windows 10. It doesn't matter much to me, because all my frequently-used programs are contained in a custom toolbar inside a left-side vertical Windows taskbar. The desktop icons are all hidden as I never use them (except within the Sandbox).

We have a couple with the standard W10 GUI, it's OK but I prefer Classic Shell, different strokes for different folks.

Cheers,
Doug

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,959
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

Sagittarius wrote:

I do not understand why people are having problems with W10 interface. Start is pretty similar to W7. It also allows you to pin frequently used SW to Start and when you click on Start button, it brings up a set of tiles (one click) , which is hidden otherwise. For the rest there is search next to start. Just type in a SW name and it beings up a shortcut for it. What can be more convenient and efficient than that? BTW I hate desktop clattered with icons.

I don't have"problems" with the W10 start menu (or other aspects of the UI), but I prefer the Open Shell start menu.  The W10 start menu uses very large text and icons.  That means I have to scroll down 6 times to get to the bottom of the list.  With Open Shell, the entire menu is visible at once.  Open Shell is also more configurable.

Nothing awful about with the W10 start menu, it's just that I find Open Shell better.

-- hide signature --

Simon

 Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,230
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?
1

Simon Garrett wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

I do not understand why people are having problems with W10 interface. Start is pretty similar to W7. It also allows you to pin frequently used SW to Start and when you click on Start button, it brings up a set of tiles (one click) , which is hidden otherwise. For the rest there is search next to start. Just type in a SW name and it beings up a shortcut for it. What can be more convenient and efficient than that? BTW I hate desktop clattered with icons.

I don't have"problems" with the W10 start menu (or other aspects of the UI), but I prefer the Open Shell start menu. The W10 start menu uses very large text and icons. That means I have to scroll down 6 times to get to the bottom of the list. With Open Shell, the entire menu is visible at once. Open Shell is also more configurable.

Nothing awful about with the W10 start menu, it's just that I find Open Shell better.

Again I do not find W10 start menu using "very large" text and icons. Maybe because I am using WQHD or UHD resolution. And again I do not have to scroll. Either I have it in my tiles or I just type it in search. BTW my taskbar is on my WQHD monitor and if I would have a smaller text, I would have a problem reading it.

YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

 Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,882
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

mclewis wrote:

It isn't that much different from Windows 7 in reality.

I agree, they are very similar. My father had very little problem adjusting recently, when I upgraded his laptop and desktop from 7 to 10, and that's saying a lot.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Fujifilm XP80 Canon EOS 500D +1 more
OP ciaran33 Contributing Member • Posts: 638
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?

In truth I have spent very little time with W10, I should try harder. But...say I plug in a usb stick, there is no icon pop up on the desktop, I have to go hunting in menus. That seems, shall we say, inconvienent. However, last night we had a friend around, at a distance and in the garden, who hosts Zoom meetings on a PC regularly and will show Mrs C. the ropes.

 ciaran33's gear list:ciaran33's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,573
Re: Windows 10 make look like Win 7?
1

ciaran33 wrote:

In truth I have spent very little time with W10, I should try harder. But...say I plug in a usb stick, there is no icon pop up on the desktop, I have to go hunting in menus.

Try Windows Explorer.

 WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads