What are some of the most absolute quiet auto-focusing lenses for video work?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
yazcui Regular Member • Posts: 318
What are some of the most absolute quiet auto-focusing lenses for video work?

No matter the system or mount, which have you found to be nearly silent?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,966
Re: What are some of the most absolute quiet auto-focusing lenses for video work?

yazcui wrote:

Aren't all lenses that use stepper or linear motors virtually silent?  That would be just about all mirrorless lenses and most recent DSLR  lenses - for example Canon STM or " nano" lenses.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,189
Even better

yazcui wrote:

Using an external microphone will be even better. The sound quality will likely be superior to the built-in mic. This may be more cost effective than purchasing a noiseless lens.

Using an external sound recorder is what the pros use, but this requires an extra step on the computer for synchronizing sound:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
OP yazcui Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Even better

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

yazcui wrote:

Using an external microphone will be even better. The sound quality will likely be superior to the built-in mic. This may be more cost effective than purchasing a noiseless lens.

Using an external sound recorder is what the pros use, but this requires an extra step on the computer for synchronizing sound:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard

Yeah, but that's not my question.

linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,075
Manual Focus lenses - with a focus puller and rack.

If you want really silent then the best option is manual focus lenses.

Either shoot at a small aperture to give your self a ton of depth of field and then dont touch it, or use an external marked rack to vary between a few pre determined focus points (this is how it is done for professional movies).

In effect using a rack gives you manual "auto focus" because you are moving between marked points without having to recheck the focus through the viewfinder.

Completely silent.

I like the m42 adapted russian lenses - because they are cheap and built like tanks. But you can use whatever you are able to fit onto your camera.

If you are determined to use a lens which does the focusing based on instructions from the camera I have had a lot of success with the Olympus 12-50 ad a workhorse for my video work.

I have also used the 45mm 1.8 and the 25mm 1.8 with no observed interference on the soundtrack.

However as another poster points out - it is usually best to rely on the inbuilt camera mic's for sound synchronisation only. If you are using them as your main medium for sound capture lens noise is likely to be a long way down the list of your worries.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
Re: Manual Focus lenses - with a focus puller and rack.

linux99 wrote:

Either shoot at a small aperture to give your self a ton of depth of field and then dont touch it, or use an external marked rack to vary between a few pre determined focus points (this is how it is done for professional movies).

In effect using a rack gives you manual "auto focus" because you are moving between marked points without having to recheck the focus through the viewfinder.

Completely silent.

I like the m42 adapted russian lenses - because they are cheap and built like tanks. But you can use whatever you are able to fit onto your camera.

If you are determined to use a lens which does the focusing based on instructions from the camera I have had a lot of success with the Olympus 12-50 ad a workhorse for my video work.

I have also used the 45mm 1.8 and the 25mm 1.8 with no observed interference on the soundtrack.

However as another poster points out - it is usually best to rely on the inbuilt camera mic's for sound synchronisation only. If you are using them as your main medium for sound capture lens noise is likely to be a long way down the list of your worries.

Thanks. I'm just a hobbyist so I'm not so much concerned with crystal audio as I am with a screeching autofocus motor. From my research so far it looks like any lenses that use a stepper motor or a nano usm, would fit the bill.

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,966

yazcui wrote:

linux99 wrote:

Completely silent.

Thanks. I'm just a hobbyist so I'm not so much concerned with crystal audio as I am with a screeching autofocus motor. From my research so far it looks like any lenses that use a stepper motor or a nano usm, would fit the bill.

And linear motors - many mirrorless lenses use linear motors..  I think that "nano" is just Canon's term for a system that has both a USM motor for stills and a stepper motor (STM) for video.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,435
Re: What are some of the most absolute quiet auto-focusing lenses for video work?

There are 4 power zoom lenses under M43 system. 2 from Olympus (14~42EZ & 12~50), 2 from Panasonic (14~42PZ & 45~175PZ).

Not know much about the 2 from Olympus, the 2 PZ zoom lenses from Panasonic are optimised for video. They are quiet on operation (zoom in/out on any manual zoom lens, the sound would be picked up by the in-camera mic), and offers steady and smooth zooming.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Alphoid Veteran Member • Posts: 5,665

yazcui wrote:

One of the lessons I've learned, as a hobbyist, is that people who've done things before know more than I do and to listen to them. Countless times, when I didn't want to overcomplicate things, I found that doing things my way was BOTH more complicated AND gave worse results in the end.

Professionals do things the way they do for a reason (and that reason isn't because they want more work). Hobbyists who have been down the same pathway as me have often tried things my "simpler" way before and it didn't work.

If you're at the level of investing in a new lens for audio, and everyone is telling you to first invest in audio equipment for audio, but you're buying a lens..... Well, best of luck, and I hope things work out.

linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,075

Alphoid wrote:

yazcui wrote:

One of the lessons I've learned, as a hobbyist, is that people who've done things before know more than I do and to listen to them. Countless times, when I didn't want to overcomplicate things, I found that doing things my way was BOTH more complicated AND gave worse results in the end.

Professionals do things the way they do for a reason (and that reason isn't because they want more work). Hobbyists who have been down the same pathway as me have often tried things my "simpler" way before and it didn't work.

If you're at the level of investing in a new lens for audio, and everyone is telling you to first invest in audio equipment for audio, but you're buying a lens..... Well, best of luck, and I hope things work out.

This is sage.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,393

yazcui wrote:

linux99 wrote:

Completely silent.

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN. (MFT or Sigma E-Mount).

It has a linear AF motor moves the lens units directly without the need for gears or the drive of other mechanical parts.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7

Alphoid wrote:

yazcui wrote:

Thanks for your concern. I've actually been doing this very thing for 5 years with much success. I was just looking for more lens options. If I ever decide to do more than video my kids, I'll take professionals' audio advice into consideration.

SmilerGrogan Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

I find my Canon C100 is essentially silent when using Canon STM lenses. However, microphones are fiendishly good at picking up noises that are inaudible to normal human hearing and making them quite prominent. So test before you buy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads