Could switch back to Fuji

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Rico Schiekel
Rico Schiekel Regular Member • Posts: 411
Re: Could switch back to Fuji

Ah, just forgot. I'm also quite happy with the 28mm f/2.8 AI-s (or AI) on the FTZ.

Rico Schiekel's gear list:Rico Schiekel's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar +14 more
MSullivan Regular Member • Posts: 197

The one thing that is certain is that the minute you switch back Nikon will immediately announce the 28.

Most likely the 28 will be f/2 or f/2.8. A 28 f/4 prime makes little sense.

The current roadmap goes through the end of 2021, so they should arrive sometime in the next 14 months.

MSullivan's gear list:MSullivan's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
sdias Contributing Member • Posts: 505

vegetaleb wrote:

Though I am starting to think I will have to go back to Fuji, this is why:

Which Fuji lens would you go back to if you go back to Fuji to provide a 28mm FOV? Is it the 18mm f/2?

vegetaleb
OP vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 2,495

sdias wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Which Fuji lens would you go back to if you go back to Fuji to provide a 28mm FOV? Is it the 18mm f/2?

The x100v + WCL 28mm adapter

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 8,062
Re: significant in one direction, not the other

peripheralfocus wrote:

James Stirling wrote:

I disagree the difference between 24mm and 28mm is quite significant , whether you are shooting a confined space or want a broader view on a landscape .

Jim, I agree with you that the difference is significant when you want to go wider -- i.e. when the problem is that the 28mm isn't wide enough.

But in the other direction -- i.e. when you want the narrower AOV of a 28mm and all you have in your bag is a 24mm -- I don't see a big practical difference. Just shoot with the 24mm and crop out the extra bits you don't need, or, as was suggested, step forward a meter or two.

On a 24-megapixel camera, cropping 12% (horizontal AOV) out of an image to give the field of view of a 28mm lens has a very small downside, IMO, unless you are making very big enlargements and inspecting them (too) closely.

When I bought a 24-megapixel camera, which has a lot of surplus resolution for my needs, I began planning my prime lens purchases with cropping in mind. So a 28mm lens is really two lenses in my mind -- a 28mm and, via cropping, a 35mm.

To me, this practical implication is one of the seldom mentioned advantages of the high resolutions that the megapixel race begat.

True as a landscape guy I tend to think of the wide part more

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true” Russell
Feel free to tinker with any photos I post

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
sdias Contributing Member • Posts: 505

vegetaleb wrote:

sdias wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

OK, thanks, yes that's certainly compact. The Nikon Z6 with any lens is a different camera. Not sure you could get that level of compact/light weight combo from Nikon.

Just a thought only, the Iphone 11 camera is about 26mm, as a stop gap until a 28mm eventuates.

NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,580
Simple: Z50

The Z50 + 16-50 would take you back to APS-C, and is small, light and excellent quality.

The 16-50 is 24-75 equivalent so does your required 28mm with no problem.

It means you can stick with the Z ecosystem.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Cetsix Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: significant in one direction, not the other

I agree. And the OP think that the Z6 has a much better IQ, i think there is room for some crops.

"I have the Z6 with 24-70 f4 and 35 f1.8 S since March, I am very satisfied by the IQ of the Z6 and its lenses, I could never reach this level of details with the Fuji X-T3 and X-T20 I had before even with the legendary 16 f1.4."

YetAnotherUnsername Regular Member • Posts: 373

Damn, this is an expensive journey for one focal length. Getting a used Nikkor 28mm 1.4 or 1.8 prime woth an adapter could be a good option if you're desperate for the focal length.

Another option could be to pick up a used Fuji X10 or X70, which gives you a portable 27mm equivalent.

Selling your Nikon Z gear to buy a Fuji X100 seems like an expensive way to limit the kind of photos you can take.

YetAnotherUnsername's gear list:YetAnotherUnsername's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
YetAnotherUnsername Regular Member • Posts: 373

Or a used Ricoh GR

YetAnotherUnsername's gear list:YetAnotherUnsername's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
KR Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 978

DaveR43 wrote:

Maybe keep an eye out for a low use 24-50 zoom being sold from a Z 5 kit?

Or buy the 24-50 anyway, if you can get hold of one.

Light, small, covers the range you are interested in, no need for FTZ.

As a stop-gap until the 28 mm arrives.

Exactly what I am doing, and I also own the 24-70 f/4.

KR Photo's gear list:KR Photo's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-50mm F4-6.3 +1 more
bjzwaan
bjzwaan Contributing Member • Posts: 963

vegetaleb wrote:

goldaccess wrote:

Since nobody knows when you'd get the 28mm you might be better served elsewhere.

(Though I wonder what you have actually though back in March because there's no dated printed on the roadmap.)

People kept saying that the 24-70 f4 is light and small while it's neither in my personal opinion after real usage, unfortunately there are no rental service for cameras in my country

I switch from Fuji X-H1 with 16-55mm f2.8 and my Z6 with 24-70mm f4 for sure is lighter and more comfortable to carry around. If you came from an X-T3 with 18-55mm, you may have a valid point ...

Cheers, Bas

Ruekon Senior Member • Posts: 1,604

Well, you bought into a closed system (at least so far). Imho Nikon should have skipped the 24-50/4-6.3 and put more effort into the 28mm instead. If sufficiently fast, the 28mm could have been a killer kit lens for the Z5 -- maybe along with a programmable control ring and some digital zoom in the firmware.

Which lenses did you exactly have with Fuji (note that 24mm and 35mm have a different field of view with full frame)?

Ruekon's gear list:Ruekon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
vegetaleb
OP vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 2,495

Ruekon wrote:

Well, you bought into a closed system (at least so far). Imho Nikon should have skipped the 24-50/4-6.3 and put more effort into the 28mm instead. If sufficiently fast, the 28mm could have been a killer kit lens for the Z5 -- maybe along with a programmable control ring and some digital zoom in the firmware.

Which lenses did you exactly have with Fuji (note that 24mm and 35mm have a different field of view with full frame)?

The xf 23 f2 and xf 16 f1.4

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
Brian Homer
Brian Homer Contributing Member • Posts: 553

vegetaleb wrote:

Ruekon wrote:

The xf 23 f2 and xf 16 f1.4

Given your desire for a 28mm you didn't actually have a 28mm equivalent in Fuji then? As 23 = 35 and 16=24.

I'm perfectly happy with my 28mm F 1.8 G lens on the FTZ.  The 28mm Z on the roadmap isn't an S lens but I guess I'll get one as it should be compact and 28mm is my favourite street/documentary foal length. Until then the F lens does absolutely fine.

And I find the 24-70 f4 a great lens too - not too big and given the high iso performance of the Z6 sensor great even in low light.

Of course Fujis are nice cameras - I have an X100F - but the Nikon Full Frame I find best for challenging circumstances and most serious work.

That said I rarely carry the Z6s for casual/walk round shooting

So the combo of X100F (with both adapters) and my Z6 set up gives me good options.

If its affordable its a good route - maybe get a Fuji body and 18mm for when you want to go light?

-- hide signature --

Brian Homer

Brian Homer's gear list:Brian Homer's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +8 more
qhs232
qhs232 Forum Member • Posts: 96

vegetaleb wrote:

sdias wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Recently sold my Fuji XT3, Xh1 Nd bunch of Fuji lenses. Kept  the 351,4 and  56 1.2, also the x100v. Have a z6 and kit zoom and 35, 50, 85 1.8 and couldn’t be happier. Were away for the first time in a year and I was going to take the X100v to supplement my Nikon Z kit, but decided to leave it at home. Use to have wclx100 with x100f, was pretty good but sold both.

i am looking for a 28mm for the Z6. I don’t mind manual focus, especially at that focal length or wider. Thinking about  the Zeiss 28 2.8, or Voigtlander 28 f2 Ultron.

qhs232's gear list:qhs232's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon Z6
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,782

You can look elsewhere, but I don’t understand why you would move back to Fuji.  Are you going to buy the 18mm?  Not one of their highest quality lenses.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more
Sukuwea Enikkusu Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Sony 28mm on Nikon Z6?

Fuji has bad ergonomics. A 800g lens on Nikon will feel like a 300-400g lens on Fuji.

I used the 90mm on my xt3 and it felt so heavy while I can easy handhold a Sigma 35mm 1.4 with FTZ. Just buy the 28mm 1.8g, it is great and still better and cheaper than the Fuji 23mm 1.4 and balances really well.

Jeff_0000 Regular Member • Posts: 475

The OP wants a lightweight 28mm setup. The Sony + Techart combo is lighter than Nikon + FTZ

Jeff_0000's gear list:Jeff_0000's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Sukuwea Enikkusu Junior Member • Posts: 31

Than an Iphone might be the best bet.

The 18mm of Fuji is pretty ok tho, not the best iq but certainly enough to take great pictures.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads