Sony ZV1, Power supply for live streaming

Started Sep 10, 2020 | Questions
adrien11112 New Member • Posts: 2
Sony ZV1, Power supply for live streaming

Hello dear forum members,

I've recently acquired the Sony ZV 1 "Vlog" camera and I would like to use the camera as a live streaming camera.

This is why I come to you, I worry about the constant power supply necessary for the streaming. Using the micro USB to USB cable given from Sony, I heard that the camera would not be able to charge enough and the battery will slowly be discharged as it already happened to me in the past, I do want to avoid damaging the camera.

Is there any one who uses a Sony ZV 1 as a live streaming camera, if so, how do you manage to have a constant power supply into the camera while keeping the camera safe from any lower or over charge. Thank you,

Adrien

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony ZV-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 16,120
Re: Sony ZV1, Power supply for live streaming

Try the DK-X1 dummy battery.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
sludge21017
sludge21017 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,396

Why are you leaving the battery in?

Adrian Tung
Adrian Tung Veteran Member • Posts: 4,030

sludge21017 wrote:

According to Gerald Undone's review, the battery has to be in even if it is being powered via USB.

https://youtu.be/APK2eLcEIfc?t=237

To the OP, Gerald has some useful information about streaming and battery power which you may want to check out.

But as a side note, some viewers of his channel had noted that the softness he mentioned in his review might be because the ZV-1 has skin smoothing effect on by default and he may not have turned it off, so keep that in mind.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Sony RX100 VI Sony ZV-1 Olympus PEN-F +22 more
sludge21017

I just tried my RX100V. I was only able to pull the battery, and the camera decided to shut down after, "battery exhausted".

I guess I got too used to putting a cable into my RX0M2, swapping batteries or running off cable.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 23,180

Adrian Tung wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

According to Gerald Undone's review, the battery has to be in even if it is being powered via USB.

I can't speak about the ZV1 in particular, but USB power with RX100 cameras can be tricky. The only way I can reliably power my RX100III via USB is with Sony's original power adapter. It works fine even with the battery removed. The other generic power adapters I have here won't do it.

Adrian Tung

sybersitizen wrote:

Adrian Tung wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

I can't speak about the ZV1 in particular, but USB power with RX100 cameras can be tricky. The only way I can reliably power my RX100III via USB is with Sony's original power adapter. It works fine even with the battery removed. The other generic power adapters I have here won't do it.

Since you brought this up, I decided to dig up my old RX100m3 along with it's charger and did a bit of an experiment.

Apparently, this is something to do with both the amount of current supplied by the USB power, and the camera model itself.

I tried a variety of chargers, including:

- an Energizer power bank supplying 5.0V 1A

- a Sony BC-QM1 charger supplying 5.0V 1.5A

- a Panasonic wall charger (from the Lumix G9 camera) supplying 5.0V 1.8A

- a Lenovo wall charger supplying several levels of power, but the relevant one to us is 5.2V 2.0A

- the original RX100m3 charger, model AC-UB10C supplying 5.0V 0.5A

(edit) - the original RX100m6 charger, which by the time I'm editing this line in I've kept everything back in the store room and have forgotten the model number

The results:

On the RX100m3, only the Lenovo 5.2V 2.0A charger allowed the camera to run without batteries. On other chargers, including its supplied charger, there was a popup warning upon turning on indicating "This AC adapter does not support USB power supply". If you pull out the battery while connected, the camera simply shuts off instantly.

On the RX100m6, none of the chargers work. On the chargers supplying lesser current, the camera shuts off instantly when you pull out the battery, but on chargers with higher current (e.g. the Panasonic and Lenovo charger), the camera at least has the decency to inform you "Battery exhausted" first, before retracting the lens and shutting down.

Note that this is with the USB power setting ON in the menu.

So somewhere between the m3 to m6, Sony changed the way the RX100 behaves with USB power without a battery installed. Would be interesting to see if anyone with a m4, m5 or m5a test this out to see which camera still works without battery.

Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Sony RX100 VI Sony ZV-1 Olympus PEN-F +22 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 23,180

Adrian Tung wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Adrian Tung wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

Since you brought this up, I decided to dig up my old RX100m3 along with it's charger and did a bit of an experiment.

Apparently, this is something to do with both the amount of current supplied by the USB power, and the camera model itself.

<...>

- the original RX100m3 charger, model AC-UB10C supplying 5.0V 0.5A

<...>

On the RX100m3, only the Lenovo 5.2V 2.0A charger allowed the camera to run without batteries. On other chargers, including its supplied charger, there was a popup warning upon turning on indicating "This AC adapter does not support USB power supply". If you pull out the battery while connected, the camera simply shuts off instantly.

I bought my RX100III used. I think the Sony power adapter I'm talking about (AC-UUD12) is the one the seller sent with the camera, but I see now that it's not the one Sony provides with the camera. The AC-UUD12 is 5V 1.5A. It will power the camera if I start without a battery installed or start with a battery installed and then remove the battery.

I have a generic power adapter with two outlets rated 5V 2.1A and 5V 1A. Regardless of which outlet I use, it will power the camera if I start with a battery installed and then remove the battery, but it won't work if I start without a battery. Instead, the camera extends the lens partially, retracts the lens, turns off, then turns on again, repeating that over and over.

This is what the RX100III user manual says:

So the supplied power adapter is not sufficient for full operation.

I can do both things with the AC-UUD12, even with no battery. With the other adapter I can play back, but not shoot unless the battery is installed.

As I said, it can be tricky!

sludge21017

I tried 2.1A from lithium battery and random Samsung cable.

So sounds like cable does matter possibly along with power source.

sludge21017

Good detective work all.

Adrian Tung

sybersitizen wrote:

I bought my RX100III used. I think the Sony power adapter I'm talking about (AC-UUD12) is the one the seller sent with the camera, but I see now that it's not the one Sony provides with the camera. The AC-UUD12 is 5V 1.5A. It will power the camera if I start without a battery installed or start with a battery installed and then remove the battery.

I have a generic power adapter with two outlets rated 5V 2.1A and 5V 1A. Regardless of which outlet I use, it will power the camera if I start with a battery installed and then remove the battery, but it won't work if I start without a battery. Instead, the camera extends the lens partially, retracts the lens, turns off, then turns on again, repeating that over and over.

I can do both things with the AC-UUD12, even with no battery. With the other adapter I can play back, but not shoot unless the battery is installed.

Interestingly, the m3, m6 and ZV-1 manual all mention being able to power the camera from an AC adaptor, but both m6 and ZV-1 manuals explicitly state that a battery must be inserted, whereas the m3 manual poses no such condition.

m6: https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1750/v1/en/contents/TP0001140398.html?search=power

zv1: https://helpguide.sony.net/dc/1910/v1/en/contents/TP0002869943.html?search=power

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,680

Exactly. The VII comes with a free plug in adaptor, the camera must be turned ON with the free adapter plugged into the wall AND a battery inserted (any battery). Or buy a dummy battery and plug it into the wall. New area for me and I am no expert . . . just quoting the manual.

Adrian Tung wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Interestingly, the m3, m6 and ZV-1 manual all mention being able to power the camera from an AC adaptor, but both m6 and ZV-1 manuals explicitly state that a battery must be inserted, whereas the m3 manual poses no such condition.

m6: https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1750/v1/en/contents/TP0001140398.html?search=power

zv1: https://helpguide.sony.net/dc/1910/v1/en/contents/TP0002869943.html?search=power

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony RX100 VII Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +33 more
Rag and Bone Regular Member • Posts: 199

i've run my Z-V1 for live streaming for several hours with a sony power supply and usb cord...you do have to keep the battery in, and it can't be dead to start.

I've used it for online teaching about 30 or 40 times, and for a couple of weeks of recording to a Ninja V, where I would leave it on, but not recording, for 3 or 4 hours at a time.

I don't think a dummy battery will work, because there's no slot for the cord in the battery door.

I did have a problem one day when the camera kept going into usb disk mode, as if it was attached to a computer, in spite of the fact that it was only connected to the power supply. I switched cables, and eventually the problem went away.  not sure what that was about, but I've used it without incident about 20 times since then.

Alex Permit
Alex Permit Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

adrien11112 wrote:

Hello dear forum members,

I've recently acquired the Sony ZV 1 "Vlog" camera and I would like to use the camera as a live streaming camera.

This is why I come to you, I worry about the constant power supply necessary for the streaming. Using the micro USB to USB cable given from Sony, I heard that the camera would not be able to charge enough and the battery will slowly be discharged as it already happened to me in the past, I do want to avoid damaging the camera.

Is there any one who uses a Sony ZV 1 as a live streaming camera, if so, how do you manage to have a constant power supply into the camera while keeping the camera safe from any lower or over charge. Thank you,

Adrien

I live stream for over eight hours a day five days a week using the ZV1 powered through USB. I have never had a problem. Sometimes I forget to turn off the camera over the weekend, and have still not had an issue. I have powered the camera using my ANKER USB hub, a dedicated USB charger, and the USB hub in my monitor. No problems using any of these.

I started working from home in March because of COVID, and have been on Zoom calls for most of the day since. From March till May I used my Rx100 Mk V with a dummy battery. It worked ok but would overheat if I left it on for an entire day. At the end of May, I received my first ZV-1. I did away with the dummy battery and powered it directly through USB. I had no problems with overheating, nor did I have a problem with powering the camera through the USB port.

I have since purchased two more ZV-1's. I've installed one in my work office (for the days I work from the office). I use another when traveling and am on ZOOM calls (using a laptop setup). I have never had a problem with charging with any of these cameras in any of these setups.

I did have issues with the camera going into the "MTP" mode when connected to my ANKER USB hub. I resolved that by using a "charging only" cable. A "data blocker" worked equally effectively.

I never tried using the Sony cable, since I have plenty of high-quality micro USB cables, such as an Amazon Basics cable.

Alex Permit's gear list:Alex Permit's gear list
Sony RX100 V Fujifilm X100V Sony ZV-1 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +30 more

I did have issues with the camera going into the "MTP" mode when connected to my ANKER USB hub. I resolved that by using a "charging only" cable. A "data blocker" worked equally effectively.

I never tried using the Sony cable, since I have plenty of high-quality micro USB cables, such as an Amazon Basics cable.

I never heard of a "data blocker." Thanks for that.

Alex Permit

Rag and Bone wrote:

I never heard of a "data blocker." Thanks for that.

Here's the latest version of the one I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T0DW3F8

Thanks

Adrian Tung

Rag and Bone wrote:

I don't think a dummy battery will work, because there's no slot for the cord in the battery door.

The camera will still operate normally with the battery door open, it's only when you pull the plastic release catch to remove the battery that causes the camera to shutdown.

Adrian Tung

sybersitizen wrote:

The AC-UUD12 is 5V 1.5A. It will power the camera if I start without a battery installed or start with a battery installed and then remove the battery.

Theory: there is some sort of communication going on between the camera and charger. This allows the AC-UUD12 too work, even though it's only 1.5A.

To further support this theory, in my last test I mentioned only my Lenovo charger worked. This was the only charger with multiple outputs:

All the other AC adapters I tested were practically "dumb" chargers with only one output setting. There had to be some sort of communication between camera and charger (or at least some probing on the camera side) in order to decide which output voltage to use.

But regardless, it would only work on the m3 and not other models because they explicitly require a battery installed, unlike the m3.

Alex Permit

Adrian Tung wrote:

Rag and Bone wrote:

The camera will still operate normally with the battery door open, it's only when you pull the plastic release catch to remove the battery that causes the camera to shutdown.

Its hard to mount the camera on a tripod or camera clip with the battery door open. When live streaming, you need to mount the camera.

As an aside, I use a Marshall camera clip which allows me to mount the ZV1 directly on the top edge of my monitor, just like a logitech webcam.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads