Nope .... I’m not getting rid of my Nikon DX system

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Chips Pringle
Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Nope .... I’m not getting rid of my Nikon DX system

Getting home today from shooting a real estate shoot with my D7200 with a 10-24 lens I know I would not want to sell all of my DX gear to end up shooting real estate with the bigger lenses in full frame. I really like my DX gear. I might even sleep with it at my side tonight🤔😁

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ContaxRTSII Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: Nope .... I’m not getting rid of my Nikon DX system

Whatever makes you happy, that's what matters.  

I have several FF bodies but I always have the same feeling as yours after using my D500 again.

ContaxRTSII's gear list:ContaxRTSII's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon D3S Sony a9 Nikon D500
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,236

Chips Pringle wrote:

Getting home today from shooting a real estate shoot with my D7200 with a 10-24 lens I know I would not want to sell all of my DX gear to end up shooting real estate with the bigger lenses in full frame. I really like my DX gear. I might even sleep with it at my side tonight🤔😁

That's good to hear!

But try not to roll over

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list...

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon PowerShot SX70
Hannes82 Junior Member • Posts: 38

I agree on APSC for now! Not sure about the future though, the last Nikon DX was announced in 2018, the D3500. The D7500 was in 2017 and D5600 in 2016.

Hannes82's gear list:Hannes82's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D5100 Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,254

Several years ago I went from a D300s(DX) to D610(FX) and it was a significant upgrade, mostly due to sensor/processor tech and mp. I have since added a D500 for bird photography and it too is excellent.

For what you shoot, the D7200 with proper lenses certainly will produce excellent results. If we all spent as much time honing our photography skills as we do studying gear, we'd all be better photographers.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Chips Pringle
OP Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 642

True👍

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,381

NikonNature wrote:

Several years ago I went from a D300s(DX) to D610(FX) and it was a significant upgrade, mostly due to sensor/processor tech and mp. I have since added a D500 for bird photography and it too is excellent.

For what you shoot, the D7200 with proper lenses certainly will produce excellent results. If we all spent as much time honing our photography skills as we do studying gear, we'd all be better photographers.

Going from a D300s to a D610 is a huge step up, way more so than the difference between the OP's D7200 and his D750.

Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,979

Hannes82 wrote:

I agree on APSC for now! Not sure about the future though, the last Nikon DX was announced in 2018, the D3500. The D7500 was in 2017 and D5600 in 2016.

Err... the last “Nikon DX” announced and released was the Z50.  Just saying.

And no, I’m not planning to get rid of or stop using my D500 or for that matter my ‘full spectrum’ converted D7200.  Though I really enjoy my Z6 too.

NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,254

toomanycanons wrote:

NikonNature wrote:

Going from a D300s to a D610 is a huge step up, way more so than the difference between the OP's D7200 and his D750.

Agreed. And my level of experience at the time made it hard to understand how much improvement I should attribute to full frame, vs just improvements in technology. It made me nervous to even try DX again, but the D500 is excellent (just as the D7200 and D7500 are).

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more

Richard B99 wrote:

Err... the last “Nikon DX” announced and released was the Z50. Just saying.

Which is a different mount with a narrow lens range.

Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D5100 Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,979

Hannes82 wrote:

Richard B99 wrote:

Clearly but the question was about 'DX'!  Equally clearly, Nikon's direction of travel is mirrorless in Z mount (whether FX or DX) with a nod to top end FX and high end glass.

Is anyone really anticipating another DX DSLR to ever launch; especially at the top end rather than a slight warming over of the 3000/5000 range to move a few more units?

vwcrusher Regular Member • Posts: 397

Richard B99 wrote:

Hannes82 wrote:

Richard B99 wrote:

Clearly but the question was about 'DX'! Equally clearly, Nikon's direction of travel is mirrorless in Z mount (whether FX or DX) with a nod to top end FX and high end glass.

Is anyone really anticipating another DX DSLR to ever launch; especially at the top end rather than a slight warming over of the 3000/5000 range to move a few more units?

Nope   : )

vwcrusher's gear list:vwcrusher's gear list
Sony a7R II
Hello123
Hello123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,447

Chips Pringle wrote:

I shot the D7200 for a long time and with the right lens, it produces fantastic RAW files. When Sony introduced all of the different A7 models, I resisted many temptations to upgrade.  However, when the Z7 came out, I gave in.  Those 46 mp are heavenly and the IBIS is divine.

Hello123's gear list:Hello123's gear list
Nikon Z7

Richard B99 wrote:

Hannes82 wrote:

Richard B99 wrote:

Clearly but the question was about 'DX'! Equally clearly, Nikon's direction of travel is mirrorless in Z mount (whether FX or DX) with a nod to top end FX and high end glass.

I agree!

I would be interested in a version with on sensor phase detection, serious video implementation and optical viewfinder. No slight warming though, I could not even tell the difference between D5200 and D5600. Problem of top end DX for me is that it is too close to low end FF. And both is expensive for just-for-fun shooters like me (while not making  the major difference, though I am no more excluding the jump). I like optical viewfinders though their time seems to be running out. Still, I cannot imagine third parties producing any new mount lens for F or Z. Nikon seems to be getting premium exclusively.

GoldenRguy
GoldenRguy Forum Member • Posts: 67

How did you find the transition outdoors, bright light, between the OVF vs. The Z7?

-- hide signature --

Scott
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

GoldenRguy's gear list:GoldenRguy's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 18-300 F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS | C Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
GoldenRguy
GoldenRguy Forum Member • Posts: 67

Hello123 wrote:

Chips Pringle wrote:

I shot the D7200 for a long time and with the right lens, it produces fantastic RAW files. When Sony introduced all of the different A7 models, I resisted many temptations to upgrade. However, when the Z7 came out, I gave in. Those 46 mp are heavenly and the IBIS is divine.

Sorry, my previous reply was meant for Hello 123

-- hide signature --

Scott
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

GoldenRguy's gear list:GoldenRguy's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 18-300 F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS | C Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads