F100 Arrived Today ;)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
PC-dot-Com
PC-dot-Com Regular Member • Posts: 122
F100 Arrived Today ;)

Like new cameras of this caliber shouldn't be this affordable.

Slightly sticky back, handled that with some alcohol. Body is literally like new otherwise. Will be a nice addition to my Nikon digital gear, very familiar.

Looking forward to my first roll with it. Seems like a super solid camera, thinking some 25-50 ISO Neg film for some fall landscapes.

Have a D810, 60mm D Micro Nikkor, and ES-2 to handle the digitizing which should work remarkably well.

Any favorites for color film in that ISO range?, not wanting Velvia.

Thanks in advance!

PC-dot-Com's gear list:PC-dot-Com's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel T7i Nikon D3 +11 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,898
Re: F100 Arrived Today ;)

The F100's a nice camera to use , it works well with a very modern feel .

One word of warning though . Be gentle closing the back.

The catch is only plastic and us prone to snapping off if the back is repeatedly snapped/slammed shut .

With film I mostly shoot black and white but for colour I tend to use Kodak Gold .

https://filtergrade.com/kodak-gold-200-review/

I did prefer Agfa Vista 200 , not least because I used to get it from the local £1 shop !

But I like the results anyway .

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi +43 more
eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Gold is terrible, don't get that.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,492

PC-dot-Com wrote:

Slightly sticky back, handled that with some alcohol. Body is literally like new otherwise. Will be a nice addition to my Nikon digital gear, very familiar.

Looking forward to my first roll with it. Seems like a super solid camera, thinking some 25-50 ISO Neg film for some fall landscapes.

Have a D810, 60mm D Micro Nikkor, and ES-2 to handle the digitizing which should work remarkably well.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats!  Load up some Ektar 100 net film.  Awesome for landscapes.  Portra 160 is beautiful as well.

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Fujifilm GFX 50R +16 more
EmmaNems Regular Member • Posts: 451
what's terrible about it?

eggyolk wrote:

Gold is terrible, don't get that.

Feel free to be specific.

eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: what's terrible about it?

It sucks. Grainy, soft. Greenish yellow undertones. Garbage. Davinator knows better too, clearly.

The Davinator
Re: what's terrible about it?

eggyolk wrote:

It sucks. Grainy, soft. Greenish yellow undertones. Garbage. Davinator knows better too, clearly.

True. The only nice thing about it really is the price.  Gold 200 grain is worse than Portra 400...and it’s far less sharp.

-- hide signature --

PC-dot-Com
OP PC-dot-Com Regular Member • Posts: 122
Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions

Ektar 100 seems the most appealing so far, any lower ISO suggestions as well? I have my old favorites, but looking for something "new", relatively speaking.

Thanks!

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel T7i Nikon D3 +11 more
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 1,643

PC-dot-Com wrote:

You’ll struggle finding mainstream colour films below 100ASA other than Velvia. Film photography project Low ISO is 1.6ASA ( https://filmphotographystore.com/products/35mm-color-kodak-super-low-speed-1-roll ). Any particular reason you want to use low ASA colour films?

Thanks in advance!

neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,898
Something different than digital .

The Davinator wrote:

eggyolk wrote:

True. The only nice thing about it really is the price. Gold 200 grain is worse than Portra 400...and it’s far less sharp.

With 5x4 and 120 I'll use either Ektar or Portra 160 .

For 35mm I tend to shoot B&W 99% of the time .

The reason is is that my main full frame cameras a Sony a900 , the results I get from that are what I like , and the results I get from the better colour films are essentially the same .

It has very film like qualities .

So if I'm using my Minolta AF film camera , it'll be loaded with B&W , probably FP4 , HP5 or Rollei IR400 .

And the a900 for any colour .

If I'm using Manual focus SLRs then one will be loaded with B&W and if I want a camera for colour shots , if I don't want to use digital ( where I'd just have an NEX 7 in my pocket ) or carry two sets of lenses MF & AF, I use a film that gives results that look different . ( Otherwise I might as well have just used digital ) .

Kodak Gold , to me , has quite a "dated" look to it so gives a different look to digital , same as the Agfa Vista when I could get that .

( If you wanted really odd results , there's always Lomography's 135 films !)

I only tend to use Ektar or Portra in medium and large format as with them I'll have a camera body and lenses with separate film backs / film holders , heavy tripod etc , so I'm not carrying the extra weight of a 35mm SLR and lenses as a second system ( film or digital ) .

Ektar or Portra will give the quality I want from these larger formats .

But for colour 135 , personally , I want something different .

The OP has a Nikon d810 , I would have thought shooting film that gives a more different result from that might be preferred .

But everyone has their own preferences .

( P.S , don't feed the troll ! )

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi +43 more
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 1,643

PC-dot-Com wrote:

Thanks in advance!

My favourites are Colorplus or C200 (Although they’re both 200ASA) - I can shoot and develop two or three rolls for every roll of Portra / Ektar

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,447

PC-dot-Com wrote:

You will probably like Ilford Pan F, ISO 50 for Black and White. It's extremely fine grain with a nice tonal range. For fall colors, a medium yellow or orange filter will work well. Because of the filter factor of those filters I prefer to use a tripod so I can shoot with a small aperture for good depth of field. At ISO 50, shutter speeds get pretty long for hand holding.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +8 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,340
Re: Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions

PC-dot-Com wrote:

Ektar 100 seems the most appealing so far, any lower ISO suggestions as well? I have my old favorites, but looking for something "new", relatively speaking.

Thanks!

I tend to favor Gold because it gives that classic film look -- if I want invisible grain and true-to-life colors, I'll shoot with my digital camera. Low-speed Ektar was great back in the 1990s when it was the best we could get, but I just shot some and found it a little unfulfilling... nice colors but it takes a drum scanner to really show off what it can do. I shot a roll not long ago and truth be told I found it a little unfulfilling.

BTW, most of my film shooting is B&W and I tend to stick to the traditional-grain films. Can't go wrong with Ilford FP4 or HP5.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
PC-dot-Com

That's a lock for monochrome, in my shopping cart. Great suggestion, thank you.

That's exactly how I shoot landscapes too- lots of depth, big range of tones, tripod, MLU, the whole kit n kaboodle.

PC-dot-Com
Re: Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions

Agree on Ilford, one of my favorite films. Appreciate the tips/thoughts :).

The Davinator

PC-dot-Com wrote:

That's a lock for monochrome, in my shopping cart. Great suggestion, thank you.

That's exactly how I shoot landscapes too- lots of depth, big range of tones, tripod, MLU, the whole kit n kaboodle.

Just watch the contrast on Pan F.  It’s beautiful....but scenes with a large range can be trickier with it than say FP4

-- hide signature --

PC-dot-Com

Good show, will do and thanks

Its one of the few Ilford's I've not tried.

BWfoto
BWfoto Regular Member • Posts: 309
2 best films

The two best black and white landscape films are Fuji Acros 100 especially for long exposures and Kodak Tmax 100. No need for the really slow films these two will look better. Invest in a orange or red filter for your black and white work.

-- hide signature --

Go ahead shoot...... film

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads