GR III - overheating - caught on video

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
telemach Contributing Member • Posts: 637
GR III - overheating - caught on video

https://youtu.be/vFvkUOic4iY

My simple tests showing you that overheating is real and happening.

Bonus section includes 'missed' AF and really strange file sizes which might suggest various compression settings used for nearly same image.

Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
what_i_saw Regular Member • Posts: 321
Re: GR III - overheating - caught on video

Those temperatures are high but at same time I think your way of using GR is a bit different from the way most of us use it.

Very nicely made video. The captions went away a bit too fast. I might be a slow reader though.

-- hide signature --

Extraordinarily Ordinary

what_i_saw's gear list:what_i_saw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR II Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +2 more
OP telemach Contributing Member • Posts: 637

what_i_saw wrote:

Those temperatures are high but at same time I think your way of using GR is a bit different from the way most of us use it.

wrong, test conditions may vary from typical use but real usage is no different; sure I have my LCD always on and no options for sleep because I need my camera ready asap however it is a game of waiting when camera will reach critical temp

Very nicely made video. The captions went away a bit too fast. I might be a slow reader though.

well the magic of YT is that you can click on options icon and make it slower if you need to;

some captions are faster because it is only an indication and the real deal are images but if needed one can pause the video and read

Lessiter Regular Member • Posts: 209

telemach wrote:

wrong, test conditions may vary from typical use but real usage is no different; sure I have my LCD always on and no options for sleep because I need my camera ready asap

What about battery? I'm a GRII not GRIII owner but always turn the camera off after the shooting opportunity passes. The camera startup is a non issue even with the GRII. It starts up during the time it takes me to move the camera from my side (in hand) to framing. The GRIII eats even more battery and has a sub 1sec startup time. The camera must be unusuable  for you? Or do you carry three spare batteries?

Lessiter wrote:

The camera must be unusuable for you? Or do you carry three spare batteries?

I've got 16 batteries in total (this includes 4 -  DB100)

sae1lin2aug3
sae1lin2aug3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,558

what_i_saw wrote:

Pause the video to read the captions.

-- hide signature --

"Think Different." S. J.

Vitriol Forum Member • Posts: 63

telemach wrote:

https://youtu.be/vFvkUOic4iY

My simple tests showing you that overheating is real and happening.

Bonus section includes 'missed' AF and really strange file sizes which might suggest various compression settings used for nearly same image.

Could it help to apply new thermal paste? It works well on overheating laptops or Playstations.

Vitriol's gear list:Vitriol's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Leica M9 +7 more
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,372

telemach wrote:

what_i_saw wrote:

I think your way of using GR is a bit different from the way most of us use it.

wrong, test conditions may vary from typical use but real usage is no different; sure I have my LCD always on and no options for sleep because I need my camera ready asap however it is a game of waiting when camera will reach critical temp

From the video it says 'My camera is turned on for 7-9 hours'.

And I think we see in the experiment picture every ten seconds for over ten minutes.

I'm not sure how typical these examples are for most users here.

I can certainly see that this is not the camera for long duration interval shoots or for the extended period always-on style of use that you prefer.

Maybe you could work out the optimum interval time that gives the camera a chance to work whilst retaining safe operating temperatures?

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I delete them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
sprocket-docket Regular Member • Posts: 228

Hey folks, I've owned the GR III for a long as anyone, having preordered it, and I use it a lot. My experience with heat issues is limited to heavy menu usage, and it was worse on earlier firmware. I don't run into it at all during normal use and would be very surprised if it happened on current firmware. Never has it been enough of an issue to make the camera shut down. Just some perspective.

sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Pentax KP +2 more

Vitriol wrote:

Could it help to apply new thermal paste? It works well on overheating laptops or Playstations.

where would you apply this paste ?

I did small radiator from copper tape and insert this between battery and inner side of compartment. It is greatly reducing overheating, temp warning is showing up but camera is not turning itself off.

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

And I think we see in the experiment picture every ten seconds for over ten minutes.

I am happy that you noticed I wrote in the video that doing timelapse is just for testing purposes to accelerate showing up problem because it would be very hard to have someone follow me for 40 or 90 minutes and recording my Ricoh and it's parameters while I shoot. Video part 4:53

I can certainly see that this is not the camera for long duration interval shoots or for the extended period always-on style of use that you prefer.

it is really interesting why on earth they implemented intervalometer if they knew camera is prone to overheating

Maybe you could work out the optimum interval time that gives the camera a chance to work whilst retaining safe operating temperatures?

maybe you can do your own test and we can compare results; I don't have to do timelapse to get camera overheat and I sure do have other videos with overheating recorded in real life scenario but only minutes before it happens without 40-60 minutes prior to that fact

sprocket-docket wrote:

I don't run into it at all during normal use and would be very surprised if it happened on current firmware.

You can easily replicate my test and check your camera with current firmware.

maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,021

telemach wrote:

sprocket-docket wrote:

I don't run into it at all during normal use and would be very surprised if it happened on current firmware.

I'm sure you can force it to overheat just like any sony, canon or fuji..

Why would anyone want to replicate a scenario that they never encounter...

I'm a heavy GR user sometimes but never encountered an overheating scenario even at the beach and hiking in summer.

I've processed images in camera until the battery went flat and no overheating.

I've blasted through batteries but no problem. my photography has slowed down somewhat lately for the better i think.

maltmoose wrote:

I'm sure you can force it to overheat just like any sony, canon or fuji..

well you can't force GR I or GR II to overheat just from taking pictures

Why would anyone want to replicate a scenario that they never encounter...

why anyone is testing anything ? to check if the fault is present or not

I'm a heavy GR user sometimes but never encountered an overheating scenario even at the beach and hiking in summer.

so what ? you are not meeting criteria for camera to overheat

but it doesn't change the fact overheating is a feature of GR III which can surprise the user

I've blasted through batteries but no problem. my photography has slowed down somewhat lately for the better i think.

same with tires, most are rated for speeds that many users wouldn't ever achieve

but if a certain tire model can make your car prone to accident if you are going high speed then it is recalled from the market but camera business is different, they handle these things in their own way

sprocket-docket Regular Member • Posts: 228

telemach wrote:

sprocket-docket wrote:

I don't replicate tests, I use the camera in real-world situations.

sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Pentax KP +2 more

sprocket-docket wrote:

I don't replicate tests, I use the camera in real-world situations.

sure, it's your choice

Tungsten Nordstein

telemach wrote:

I am happy that you noticed I wrote in the video that doing timelapse is just for testing purposes to accelerate showing up problem because it would be very hard to have someone follow me for 40 or 90 minutes and recording my Ricoh and it's parameters while I shoot. Video part 4:53

In the test, you could set the camera to shoot every 50s for those 40 or 90 minutes to match your real-world scenario, perhaps? Whatever frequency matches your average shot rate.

it is really interesting why on earth they implemented intervalometer if they knew camera is prone to overheating

Yes that's a mystery. Maybe it works better with a longer interval or over a shorter time span?

maybe you can do your own test and we can compare results; I don't have to do timelapse to get camera overheat and I sure do have other videos with overheating recorded in real life scenario but only minutes before it happens without 40-60 minutes prior to that fact

I'll keep an eye out for overheating, but I've not noticed any problem in my normal use.

I can see that the overheating in your camera feels bad to you, but I do think it's worth noting what was said earlier about fast start-up times in the gr3. I presume that whilst you keep you camera on for 40-90 minutes, you are not holding it up to your eye-level during that time (?). So, I held the camera (switched off) at arm-down level and then sumultaneoulsy switch the camera on and raised it to eye-level. The camera was fully on and operational by the time it had reached my face-level. I can't help thinking that this would be practically as good as keeping it always-on on for 40-90 minutes - unless you have a special shooting style that you have not yet shared with us.

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more

In the test, you could set the camera to shoot every 50s for those 40 or 90 minutes to match your real-world scenario, perhaps? Whatever frequency matches your average shot rate.

It was never my goal to simulate real world scenario. This video is a proof that camera is overheating and to get this filmed in short span of time I set these certain parameters for test setup to get camera overheat soon. Like I mentioned, this video is to show you that problem exist and there is a strict correlation between temperature and time.

Yes that's a mystery. Maybe it works better with a longer interval or over a shorter time span?

or maybe it doesn't work any better

you keep you camera on for 40-90 minutes, you are not holding it up to your eye-level during that time (?).

I don't

as good as keeping it always-on on for 40-90 minutes - unless you have a special shooting style that you have not yet shared with us.

I shoot fast and accidentally happening situations so I work with fast shutter speeds and won't tolerate any delay. I have enough batteries to not worry about power but I want camera to be reliable and not to change my habits because new model has major faults.

rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,292

telemach wrote:

It was never my goal to simulate real world scenario. This video is a proof that camera is overheating and to get this filmed in short span of time I set these certain parameters for test setup to get camera overheat soon. Like I mentioned, this video is to show you that problem exist and there is a strict correlation between temperature and time.

or maybe it doesn't work any better

you keep you camera on for 40-90 minutes, you are not holding it up to your eye-level during that time (?).

I don't

as good as keeping it always-on on for 40-90 minutes - unless you have a special shooting style that you have not yet shared with us.

I shoot fast and accidentally happening situations so I work with fast shutter speeds and won't tolerate any delay. I have enough batteries to not worry about power but I want camera to be reliable and not to change my habits because new model has major faults.

I see, so this was the idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WicEZwRo-WU

on the other hand, there were several real-world usage complaints about overheating.

I wonder if the level varies from camera to camera.

Tungsten Nordstein

telemach wrote:

Sorry, but it looks like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place then.

Write to Ricoh. Send your video.

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads