Scanner for old photos and slides?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
OP Fishrman Senior Member • Posts: 1,555
Re: Scanner for old photos and slides?

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

Any experience with what might be a great scanner to use for photos and slides? I have several, actually probably more like thousands to go through and would like to scan and save and share them with some of my relatives. These pics were all taken by my Dad who has been gone about 30 years already and it is a job I would like to get done before it is my time too. I have a printer scanner but it isn't designed specifically for photos and sure isn't for slides. Thanks for any help.

Like you, I acquired a couple thousands slides created by my late father. The slides are from the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. I came close to purchasing a V850 however I ended up using my Canon 9000F and SilverFast software. The reason I didn't get the nicer V850 scanner was I didn't think the quality of the slides would really take advantage of the nicer scanning capability of the V850. The SilverFast software was huge. Using this software I was able to correct color and scratches better than I could have done with any other scanning software I tried. No way was I going to edit all the scans with Lr or Ps.

Below is a random sample of some of the scans I have made. The slides are 60-70 years old. These are basically the raw images from a SilverFast scan. Color and scratch corrections applied.

Wow, those look great to me! I may need some step by step lessons!

Fishrman's gear list:Fishrman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ2500 +1 more
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,546

SilverFast has several videos for using their software. I found them very helpful.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 4,404

BillyBobSenna wrote:

SilverFast has several videos for using their software. I found them very helpful.

Just an FYI

I have Silverfast, got it with the V850, went through it and never used it

Why?

The Epson software that comes with the scanner is much easier to use while covering off the basics like dust and scratch removal, color restoration, sharpening , etc. In addition it supports scanning all the neg sizes I had to deal with all the way up to 4 X 5

No doubt Silverfast is more fully featured but for my requirements, and I suspect for a lot of users, the Epson software does the job with less of a learning curve.

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon D70 +25 more

edispics wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Just an FYI

Why?

The Epson software that comes with the scanner is much easier to use while covering off the basics like dust and scratch removal, color restoration, sharpening , etc. In addition it supports scanning all the neg sizes I had to deal with all the way up to 4 X 5

No doubt Silverfast is more fully featured but for my requirements, and I suspect for a lot of users, the Epson software does the job with less of a learning curve.

Thanks, I think the v850 is going to be more than I am willing to spend. I am thinking of something more in the 300.00 or less range if I can find something.

edispics

Fishrman wrote:

edispics wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Just an FYI

Why?

Thanks, I think the v850 is going to be more than I am willing to spend. I am thinking of something more in the 300.00 or less range if I can find something.

The Epson V600 would fill that bill nicely. Prints, slides and negatives and its Epson software will do scratches, color restoration etc.

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,169

edispics wrote:

The Epson V600 would fill that bill nicely. Prints, slides and negatives and its Epson software will do scratches, color restoration etc.

The V600 used to be the "state of the art" film and photo scanner, back when I was shopping in the 2000s.  Still a great choice.

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,251

Lots of photo editing programs can deal with faded photos.

If you want scanning software that does it when scanning, you have at least two choices:

1. The scanner will come with some software, possibly Silverfast or something with the ability to do software dust removal as well as convert negatives to positives.

2. Vuescan - this is an alternative to Silverfast, and it supports many scanners on Windows 10 that no longer have supported software.

I've been using Vuescan since about 2004, and the lifetime license I bought them is still valid for new versions.

Some notes on scanning negatives.  It can be a pain just to feed negative strips, but the real issue is converting from negative to positive and removing the orange cast.  Different negative stock requires a different set of parameters to deal with the orange cast, because the cast itself varies with the brand of film stock, plus is different for different film stocks (different ISO's) within a brand.

Vuescan has all the features you need (and then some).

But nothing will make it faster to feed all those slides and negatives through the scanner.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
edispics

ken_in_nh wrote:

edispics wrote:

The V600 used to be the "state of the art" film and photo scanner, back when I was shopping in the 2000s. Still a great choice.

Yup, really good bang for the buck and within the OP's budget it seems.

Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,286

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Lots of photo editing programs can deal with faded photos.

If you want scanning software that does it when scanning, you have at least two choices:

1. The scanner will come with some software, possibly Silverfast or something with the ability to do software dust removal as well as convert negatives to positives.

2. Vuescan - this is an alternative to Silverfast, and it supports many scanners on Windows 10 that no longer have supported software.

I've been using Vuescan since about 2004, and the lifetime license I bought them is still valid for new versions.

Some notes on scanning negatives. It can be a pain just to feed negative strips, but the real issue is converting from negative to positive and removing the orange cast. Different negative stock requires a different set of parameters to deal with the orange cast, because the cast itself varies with the brand of film stock, plus is different for different film stocks (different ISO's) within a brand.

Vuescan has all the features you need (and then some).

But nothing will make it faster to feed all those slides and negatives through the scanner.

+1 on Vuescan, best money I have EVER spent on software.

We should all be so grateful to still have a few people like Ed Hamrick in the industry.

SC489 wrote:

I bought a dedicated 35mm scanner about 3 years ago since these give good resolution, good dynamic range (DMax) and have an infrared scanning channel for correcting dust & scratches (essential). I bought a Reflecta ProScan 10T https://reflecta.de/en/computer-required/32-reflecta-proscan-10t-film-scanner.html

+1.

A friend of mine has the "Pacific Image" version, can't remember the model number but this is a reasonably-priced scanner that produces results that are way better than my Epson and Canon mid-range flatbed models.

Chris 222 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

I bought a dedicated 35mm scanner about 3 years ago since these give good resolution, good dynamic range (DMax) and have an infrared scanning channel for correcting dust & scratches (essential). I bought a Reflecta ProScan 10T https://reflecta.de/en/computer-required/32-reflecta-proscan-10t-film-scanner.html

+1.

A friend of mine has the "Pacific Image" version, can't remember the model number but this is a reasonably-priced scanner that produces results that are way better than my Epson and Canon mid-range flatbed models.

I will see if I can check that one out too. Thanks!

SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

edispics wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Just an FYI

Why?

I only use Silverfast to make basic settings for the overall white balance, contrast range, resolution and dust /. scratch settings. I scan 35 mm film /slides in high quality jpg files at 5000 dpi then do all further corrections in LIghtroom.

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more

Chris 222 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

+1.

Yes, that's what I concluded after looking at various reviews. The contrast range (DMax) and resolution, dust scratch removal and resolution is better using a good dedicated 35mm scanner. The Pacific Image and Reflecta scanners are identical.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more

Fishrman wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

+1.

I will see if I can check that one out too. Thanks!

The Pacific Image Primefilm SE appears to be the same as my Reflecta ProScan 10T and has a better software bundle since it is supplied with Silverfast SE. You can upgrade to a better version of Silverfast e.g. AI Studio for a reasonable fee.

SC489 wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

+1.

Yes, that's what I concluded after looking at various reviews. The contrast range (DMax) and resolution, dust scratch removal and resolution is better using a good dedicated 35mm scanner. The Pacific Image and Reflecta scanners are identical.

Is this the one you are referring to? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434258-REG/pacific_image_primefilm_xes_scanner.html?ap=y&smp=y

edispics

Fishrman wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

+1.

Is this the one you are referring to? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434258-REG/pacific_image_primefilm_xes_scanner.html?ap=y&smp=y

Just remember that with this device you are back to scanning one neg or slide at a time. If time is not a concern or if you have a lot of patience, this is certainly a possibility for your negs and slides, though you still have to find a solution for your prints.

edispics wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

+1.

Just remember that with this device you are back to scanning one neg or slide at a time. If time is not a concern or if you have a lot of patience, this is certainly a possibility for your negs and slides, though you still have to find a solution for your prints.

Thanks, I never realized it only did one 35 at a time.

BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,808

edispics wrote:

ken_in_nh wrote:

edispics wrote:

The V600 used to be the "state of the art" film and photo scanner, back when I was shopping in the 2000s. Still a great choice.

Early in the year I was looking for the V600 but could not find them anywhere. I thought it was a discontinued scanner. But recently B&H Photo shows it in stock.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/647187-REG/Epson_B11B198011_Perfection_V600_Photo_Scanner.html?sts=pi-ps&pim=Y

Epson is selling a refurbished V800 for $550, which is half the price of a new V850.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Scanners/Epson-Perfection-V800-Photo-Color-Scanner---Refurbished/p/B11B223201-N

Now I have to decide which one to buy.

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

Fishrman wrote:

edispics wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

+1.

Thanks, I never realized it only did one 35 at a time.

Apologies for the late reply.

The one I was talking about is the XAs. Does negs and slides and you can do a whole roll at a time.

BigBen08 wrote:

edispics wrote:

ken_in_nh wrote:

edispics wrote:

Early in the year I was looking for the V600 but could not find them anywhere. I thought it was a discontinued scanner. But recently B&H Photo shows it in stock.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/647187-REG/Epson_B11B198011_Perfection_V600_Photo_Scanner.html?sts=pi-ps&pim=Y

Epson is selling a refurbished V800 for $550, which is half the price of a new V850.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Scanners/Epson-Perfection-V800-Photo-Color-Scanner---Refurbished/p/B11B223201-N

Now I have to decide which one to buy.

This might even be a better deal for me?? https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Scanners/Epson-Perfection-V600-Photo-Scanner---Refurbished/p/B11B198011-N

Is the 800 really that much better than the 600??

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads