Repair my g7xii or get g5xii

Started 10 months ago | Questions
zerlings Regular Member • Posts: 110
Repair my g7xii or get g5xii

I love my g7xii but recently my 2 year old son knocked it down (along with the tripod) and it hit the ground.  As a result, the lens can no longer retract and the bottom lens cover cannot close.  The Canon repair service gave me a quote of $360 (ouch!)

I wasn't planning to upgrade the unit, but with that repair cost I am now thinking if I should buy a newer g5xii model instead.  The cheapest I have seen is $660.  I know the main benefit is the EVF and a bit longer lens, which are nice but to me the g7xii features are good enough.  However, given it is a newer model it should have a longer longevity, and would excite me than a repair.

For $300 difference, would you repair the g7xii or bite the bullet and buy the g5xiii instead?

Regards.

zerlings's gear list:zerlings's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon G5 X II Sony a7 III Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
rita416
rita416 Regular Member • Posts: 410
Re: Repair my g7xii or get g5xii

Ouch, so sorry. I have the G7x M2, and I have looked at the G5x M2, but I am taking so few photos these days, I can't justify the trade, but if I were in your shoes, I might go for the newer G5x M2 at that $660 price. The photos I have seen from that cam are really good. Where did you find that price?

The G7x M2 will have been out five years this coming February. You get the 120 focal length instead of 100, but otherwise, things are about the same except for the OVF. I frankly could use an OVF as of late with my eyesight not being as good from needing cataract surgery, and it was one reason I was looking at possibly upgrading. I have been very impressed with the image samples I have seen from the G5x M2 here on the forum.

Those are just my thoughts, but at the end of the day, whatever decision you make has to be the best one for you.

Good luck!

Rita

rita416's gear list:rita416's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon G9 X II
AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,390

zerlings wrote:

For $300 difference, would you repair the g7xii or bite the bullet and buy the g5xiii instead?

I would buy a brand new G5 X Mark II.

If I had to watch my dollars carefully, I would not have Canon repair my damaged G7 X II and, instead, would replace it with a new one - same model.

(By the way, I am very fond of my G7 X II.)

rita416

AshleyMC wrote:

zerlings wrote:

I would buy a brand new G5 X Mark II.

If I had to watch my dollars carefully, I would not have Canon repair my damaged G7 X II and, instead, would replace it with a new one - same model.

(By the way, I am very fond of my G7 X II.)

I just looked at the cost of a new G7x M2 on Amazon and it's $630, it was $700 new. I think that speaks to how good the G7x M2 is to maintain that price after 4 1/2 years on the market. I also am very fond of my G7x M2 !!! So unless I was in the OP's position, it's hard to say what I would do for certain.  I do not think I would do a repair as much as I love my G7x II, but unless that happened to me, and I had to get serious about it, I can't say that with 100% certainty what I would do.

OP zerlings Regular Member • Posts: 110

Thanks for the replies so far.

In eBay the g5xii sells for $680 (brand new), g7xii sells for $460 (refurbished) and g7xiii for $550 (open box).  I think I will go for the g5xii, and get the 3 year accidental warranty for a additional $70.

zerlings's gear list:zerlings's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon G5 X II Sony a7 III Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
uktony4563
uktony4563 Regular Member • Posts: 111

I had the G7X MkII and sold it to fund a G5X MkII.

The G5X MkII just does everything better and quicker

A smidgen more detail, better Macro performance, Longer zoom and pop up OVF  makes it a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion

I love mine. I'm sure you would too.

uktony4563's gear list:uktony4563's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G5 X II
rita416

zerlings wrote:

Thanks for the replies so far.

In eBay the g5xii sells for $680 (brand new), g7xii sells for $460 (refurbished) and g7xiii for $550 (open box). I think I will go for the g5xii, and get the 3 year accidental warranty for a additional $70.

Awesome! I think you made a good choice!

Enjoy!
Rita

rochester21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,212
Upgrade

Sell the defective camera on ebay and recover some of the loss.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads