Canon EOS-M6 mkII, Fuji XT-3, or...?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
emailsucks98
emailsucks98 Regular Member • Posts: 337
Canon EOS-M6 mkII, Fuji XT-3, or...?

Appreciate some input here, I'm ready to purchase!

I'm looking for a relatively compact ILC set-up which will be used for landscape, hiking/mountain biking , a few portraits and general hobbyist use. I rarely shoot video and I do tend to gravitate towards the 16-24mm focal lengths. I do shoot raw and do my PP on an iPad. Budget is $1700ish.

I am coming off a Olympus OMD EM5 mkII and had the 7-14 & 12-40 pro lenses, among others. I loved the lenses, but ultimately the fiddly menu systems and AF performance motivated me to sell that system off. I did love the livetime/comp modes and manual controls.

Prior to the M4/3 kit, I had a Sony A7 and before that a nex-6. Looking back at my photos, the most keepers were taken with the Nex-6 with the sony 10-18 lens. I did dislike the sony menus/UI enough I'm not particularly interested in another sony. I also didn't get on well with the size of the full frame set-up, especially the larger lenses with limited range.

Oh- I do also have a Canon G7x mkII which I LOVE. I really like the Canon menu/UI experience and iPhone app. This is primarily my biking camera.

So all that has me leaning towards a Canon EOS M6 with the 11-22 lens, along with either the canon 18-150 or a tamron 18-200. And maybe the Sigma 16mm f1.4. The detachable viewfinder is sort of a bonus for me, as is the kit lens, as that would make for a pocketable hiking/biking option. I do wish it had weather sealing and IBIS.

The Fuji XT-3 is also in my price range, has weather sealing, and gets great (better?) reviews. But I do lean towards canon since I've always loved their cameras.

Appreciate any input!

Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,293
Re: Canon EOS-M6 mkII, Fuji XT-3, or...?

I am coming off a Olympus OMD EM5 mkII and had the 7-14 & 12-40 pro lenses, among others. I loved the lenses, but ultimately the fiddly menu systems and AF performance motivated me to sell that system off. I did love the livetime/comp modes and manual controls.

I just replaced my old E-M5 with a Panny G85, mostly to escape the ghastly Oly menu.  Which worked, the G85 main menu is closer to Canon menu designs.  Unfortunately the shooting menu for the G85 (not the main menu) is not as thorough as the Super Control Panel on an Oly.  So kind of a mixed blessing.  If you are tired of cropping the 4:3 aspect images, moving on to APS-C is probably just as well.

The Fujis are very sexy, with many fans over the moon for their manual controls.  So I rented a X-T20, and immediately missed the PASM choices on a control knob.  Thought my old brain could be re-trained for their A markings on wheels, but I was wrong.

Anyways, links for lots of opinions -

Anybody come to or return to m4/3 after using Fuji?

A new APS-C camera to compete? 34Mpx/32Mpx readable Canon M6II

Why the M6 mk2.

Travel set dillemmas (GX9 vs E5III vs Fuji...)

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
DjangoChained Forum Member • Posts: 54

One thing to consider when buying EOS M, unfortunately, is that the future of the system is kind of unclear.

What is clear is that the engineering efforts of Canon are concentrated on the R system, and that M and R are incompatible. No one outside Canon really knows how they want to deal with it.

There are many rumors around: some say Canon will announce 5 new M lenses this year and a flagship body; others say the flagship body might come, no new lenses, and afterwards EOS M will be canceled. An APS-C body with RF mount seems to come in any case.

Since Canon refuses to comment on the situation and there's no Roadmap, nobody really knows.

So, what I want to say is: EOS M is a neat little system, and if it has all the lenses you ever need, by all means buy into it. If you are looking for a system though for which you can flesh out your lens collection over many years, or hope that future bodies with advanced technology will come, you might be in for a disappointment.

ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 838

emailsucks98 wrote:

I'm looking for a relatively compact ILC set-up which will be used for landscape, hiking/mountain biking , a few portraits and general hobbyist use. I rarely shoot video and I do tend to gravitate towards the 16-24mm focal lengths. I do shoot raw and do my PP on an iPad. Budget is $1700ish.

Prior to the M4/3 kit, I had a Sony A7 and before that a nex-6. Looking back at my photos, the most keepers were taken with the Nex-6 with the sony 10-18 lens. I did dislike the sony menus/UI enough I'm not particularly interested in another sony. I also didn't get on well with the size of the full frame set-up, especially the larger lenses with limited range.

Oh- I do also have a Canon G7x mkII which I LOVE. I really like the Canon menu/UI experience and iPhone app. This is primarily my biking camera.

So all that has me leaning towards a Canon EOS M6 with the 11-22 lens, along with either the canon 18-150 or a tamron 18-200. And maybe the Sigma 16mm f1.4. The detachable viewfinder is sort of a bonus for me, as is the kit lens, as that would make for a pocketable hiking/biking option. I do wish it had weather sealing and IBIS.

The Fuji XT-3 is also in my price range, has weather sealing, and gets great (better?) reviews. But I do lean towards canon since I've always loved their cameras.

Appreciate any input!

It looks like Canon is doing to discontinue the M Mount, so I would not invest in that. The Fujis are super fun to use, and given that you want an APS-C, I would go with the X-T3.  If you can afford a little more, the X-T4, for the IBIS.

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,204
Re: ___________ Canon EOS-M6 mkII

emailsucks98 wrote:

Appreciate any input!

yes, Canon M6ii and Canon 11-22 - small and light

and the Canon M system can easily use DSLR lenses

https://petapixel.com/2020/04/08/canon-to-release-two-eos-m-cameras-and-more-lenses-in-2020-report/

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

It looks like Canon is doing to discontinue the M Mount, so I would not invest in that. The Fujis are super fun to use, and given that you want an APS-C, I would go with the X-T3. If you can afford a little more, the X-T4, for the IBIS.

Pure speculation, and so what?  The OP knows what he wants now.  Who buys for what may or may not be there in future years?

I went from a 70D to a m6ii last year.  Best move I've made in a long time.  Much lighter, more versatile and, big bonus, I have an even broader lens choice:  EF, EF-S, and EF-M.  Even if the M system went away, I'm hardly dead in the water, so to speak.

There are those around who complain that the Ef-M lenses are too slow.  They want a EF-M f 2.8 zoom.  But, of course, they can have that now, just in an adapted EF or EF-S mount.  It just won't be as small and light as the native M zooms, because you can't have a fast zoom lens that's also small and light.  Physics doesn't allow for it!

Canon knows this.  The complainers and doomsayers don't seem to!

emailsucks98
OP emailsucks98 Regular Member • Posts: 337

DjangoChained wrote:

One thing to consider when buying any camera, unfortunately, is that the future of the world is kind of unclear.

No brand is immune to the camera sales trends, or the current state of the global supply chain. So I'm focusing on products that are currently available.

Speaking of which, maybe this M50 mk2 will be announced this week, but I think the M6 might still be a better fit for me.

@Kcook, I hadn't considered that I might miss the PASM dial....

I did really like the Olympus lenses, and I wonder how much I will miss them. But I am excited to have functional AF and better IQ!

I've been thinking a speedbooster is the answer to any limitations in lens selection. Tried one on my old Sony Nex and liked it enough. But I think the canon 11-22, sigma 16 and Tamron 18-200 would cover all my needs, if I go Canon. Leaning that way, obviously.

The Fuji sounds pretty compelling. I have two concerns, one is that the price of the 10-24 along with the XT-30 kit will exceed my budget, and the other is size. The XT 4 is weather sealed but would not leave me enough $ left for a wider angle lens and would be even larger, so I think it's out.

I live about :90 from a camera store that has both the XT-30 and M6 in stock, I'm planning on trying them both in person next weekend and bring something home.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback, much appreciated. Love to hear any other thoughts, and I will update this post once I land something....

emailsucks98 wrote:

I've been thinking a speedbooster is the answer to any limitations in lens selection. Tried one on my old Sony Nex and liked it enough. But I think the canon 11-22, sigma 16 and Tamron 18-200 would cover all my needs, if I go Canon. Leaning that way, obviously.

There are really only two reasons to invest in a speedbooster:  One is to preserve the native focal length.  The other is to gain speed.  But at what IQ cost for gaining speed?

Note that there are good WA lenses natively in M mount, so no need to preserve FL - for most lenses, the greater magnification (apparent FL) is a plus, not a minus.

Speed?  There are some pretty fast single FL lenses in M mount already.  True, no fast zoom, but you can buy a EF lens for that.

An adapter would broaden your lens selection immensely, with no downsides like a speedbooster.

emailsucks98

Thanks Ken. I don’t seem to shoot at focal lengths longer than 35mm often - Somewhat due to lack of practice I am sure. Is there an adapter/ef/ef-s combo you’d suggest over the ef-m 18-150 or the sigma Ef-m 18-200?

I am hoping to get the sigma 16mm f1.4.

emailsucks98 wrote:

Thanks Ken. I don’t seem to shoot at focal lengths longer than 35mm often - Somewhat due to lack of practice I am sure. Is there an adapter/ef/ef-s combo you’d suggest over the ef-m 18-150 or the sigma Ef-m 18-200?

I am hoping to get the sigma 16mm f1.4.

I, and many others, use the Ef-s 55-250 with great results, via an inexpensive adapter, on M series cameras.  It's not the fastest tele,  but it's lightweight and balances well.

Personally, I'm not particularly a fan of the "all purpose" lenses, like the EF-M 18-150.  My copy's IQ, compared to my other lenses, like the 15-45, is so-so, especially at the longer end.  And, it's not really that wide either, but would pair well with the 11-22 I suspect.

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,293

I did really like the Olympus lenses, and I wonder how much I will miss them. But I am excited to have functional AF and better IQ!

I read you on low light IQ.  But I'm happy with the AF of my Panasonic.

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
emailsucks98

ken_in_nh wrote:

I, and many others, use the Ef-s 55-250 with great results,

that’s awesome, thank you. Saves me money which can go towards that 16mm f1.4!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads