I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
j tokarz Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Re: I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

Full Frame. In my oppinion is all hype (bar for incredibly few times, that i have never strayed into ) And i have one. The best pictures i have seen,  come out of a nikon z50. They are so good i sold my Z6. I still do have a full frame, a canon but only for its 50 mpx. And its colours.

DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

I moved from primarily DX (D7200) to primarily FX (D780) in February of this year.  Really enjoying the FX camera, though I do occasionally use the DX as well.  Shot an outdoor event last week with the FX as primary, and DX for the 10-24 DX lens.  In good light, there's very little difference except depth of field.  In low light, the FX is noticably better from a noise perspective.  A few weeks ago I took pictures at a fiend's wedding (not the primary photographer), and even backlit shots had an amazing amount of flexibiity in post-processing.

I shot tens of thousands of images with the DX camera, and always loved the low-light performance.  Now when I look back, I am seeing noise that didn't stand out before.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just one factor I consider when choosing which camera to take out.  I find myself more willing to accept higher ISO values with FX than DX.

The DX is nice for telephoto work since it has the crop factor.  I've tried it with both the Tamron 150-600 and the Tamron 100-400, and both function well.

I'm not one to upgrade just because something is new and shiny.  My plans were originally to go to a Z6, but decided not to buy due to my collection of lenses and lack of compatibility with the FTZ adapter.  Two days after this decision, the D780 was announced.  The rest, as they say, is history.  I essentially get a Z6 in live-view, with the familiarity and hand feel of a DSLR in viewfinder mode.

At the end of the day, it's really a personal choice.  If your 7200 is working for you, it's a fine camera and you'll get many great shots.  It's certainly lighter and a very capable tool.  Best wishes in your decision-making process.

DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +7 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,415

DJMusic wrote:

I moved from primarily DX (D7200) to primarily FX (D780) in February of this year. Really enjoying the FX camera, though I do occasionally use the DX as well. Shot an outdoor event last week with the FX as primary, and DX for the 10-24 DX lens. In good light, there's very little difference except depth of field. In low light, the FX is noticably better from a noise perspective. A few weeks ago I took pictures at a fiend's wedding (not the primary photographer), and even backlit shots had an amazing amount of flexibiity in post-processing.

The reason I also use FX is low light and high dynamics, the rest is DX and N1.

I shot tens of thousands of images with the DX camera, and always loved the low-light performance. Now when I look back, I am seeing noise that didn't stand out before. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just one factor I consider when choosing which camera to take out. I find myself more willing to accept higher ISO values with FX than DX.

Even a fairly basic D7500 handles high ISO better than a D7200 — technology moves forward!

The DX is nice for telephoto work since it has the crop factor. I've tried it with both the Tamron 150-600 and the Tamron 100-400, and both function well.

I love the N1 for its 2.7 crop factor.

I'm not one to upgrade just because something is new and shiny. My plans were originally to go to a Z6, but decided not to buy due to my collection of lenses and lack of compatibility with the FTZ adapter. Two days after this decision, the D780 was announced. The rest, as they say, is history. I essentially get a Z6 in live-view, with the familiarity and hand feel of a DSLR in viewfinder mode.

I hope to get a D780 one day!

At the end of the day, it's really a personal choice. If your 7200 is working for you, it's a fine camera and you'll get many great shots. It's certainly lighter and a very capable tool. Best wishes in your decision-making process.

There are many of us that hope to upgrade to an FX Nikon of some sort, the choice is not that easy!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
fPrime
fPrime Veteran Member • Posts: 3,500

Same here, except I know exactly why I shoot both. I’ve got two full frame cameras but a total of five DX bodies. My rationale for shooting them all is two-fold.

First, I generally prefer the color rendering of CCD cameras and those can only be found in crop bodies (the Leica M9 being the sole full frame exception). When the light is bright and there’s no need for extremely shallow DOF, then my DX cameras yield the better image quality for me.

The second reason is travel. I generally shoot my DX cameras with zooms that take me from 11mm to 200mm with just three small lenses. That makes the kit convenient for carry-on purposes. My full frame kit consists mostly of fast primes for shallower DOF, but it is much more bulky to travel with.

That being said, full frame is indispensable to me for shooting action, working in low light, and mounting fast primes as under those conditions it gives me better image quality than my crop bodies can.

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,635

I keep my D500 - for the times when it helps me achieve better than from my D850 or Z7.

Greater AF screen coverage compared to the D850 and 10 fps without accessories are useful to me for some sports and wildlife shooting situations.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,556

Jocksa wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Raticus wrote:

I really enjoy the D7500 quite a lot, I use the 70-300mm as my critter lens. But the 16-80mm is attached about 90% of the time to be honest. Both lenses are fantastic on the D7500.

Haven't got that 16-80, but been dreaming!

Mine is just now is equipped with my 70-200/4.0G, another nice lens!

I have an old 17-55/2.8 and a newer 16-85/3.5-5.6. If anything the latter is sharper in the corners.

I've just ordered a grey-import 16-80/2.8-4.0 for less than the cost of a mint used one. It doesn't have a Nikon warranty but then neither does a used one but it's brand new and has a one year warranty with the shop.

I'm hoping it will outperform both and allow them to be sold but I intend to conduct a test when it arrives so I'll post the results. I'll also compare it to the 24-120/4.0 lens on the D810 for info.

I look forward to your comparison of the 16-80 f/2.8-4  DX against  24-120mm f/4 FX.

Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,556
FX vs DX comparison (sloppy) on Zurich view

DX full image 50% view , D7100 and 16-80 f/2.8-4 at 35mm f/5.6  (greenish Prime Tower is to the right)

and on another day different sighting conditions.

FX full image 50% view, D850 and Sigma 40mm f/1.4 A at f/1.4 !! for test. Not much to complain. Of course also this exceptional lens still gets sharper stopped down.  (greenish Prime Tower is to the left on this view)

scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,323

A good camera is a good camera regardless of sensor size

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Tord S Eriksson

scokill wrote:

A good camera is a good camera regardless of sensor size

A camera good for low light photography is not surely good for shooting on a clear day in a snow landscape, and there is no way a small-sensor camera is good in low light unless you use tricks like stacking and similar methods. In really high contrast situations really big sensors are those that work best, far better.

So a good camera, under restrictions imposed on it by its design, including sensor size, can be good, but the sensor size, and sensor and processor design is the most important part, without a doubt.

I have very good 1" cameras, a handful of DX cameras of varying age and brands, and a single older FX camera, and in no way is a 20MP sensor of 1" size equal to one of the same resolution in DX size or one in FX size.
Size and pixel-pitch affect IQ as does the type of sensor designs used. 
I love my little V1, but it is not in the same league as my D7500, or my old D600, but for specific jobs they have no equal in any other size.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

Leonard Shepherd

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

A camera good for low light photography is not surely good for shooting on a clear day in a snow landscape, and there is no way a small-sensor camera is good in low light

Minus 100 

My experience is reality is almost always the exact opposite.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
Chips Pringle
OP Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 642

Thanks, my heart says dump full frame bodies and keep DX and full glass for my d7200 bodies. But my brain says no, ....... keep and learn the advantages of the d750’s. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +10 more
Tord S Eriksson

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

A camera good for low light photography is not surely good for shooting on a clear day in a snow landscape, and there is no way a small-sensor camera is good in low light

Minus 100

So you prefer compacts on overcast days?!

I love my 1" cameras, but just switching to a MFT helps a bit when it is grey and overcast outside, not to mention my well used D600.

Well, we must live in different worlds!

Have a great one in yours!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

Leonard Shepherd

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

I use my brain to help make informed choices

When it is overcast (often in the UK) scene dynamic range and contrast is normally low. In these situations the format used is usually not critical.

I choose the equipment I use dependent on the intended output - and how much weight I am prepared to carry how far.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,365

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Minus 100

Personally, I wouldn't say prefer - more like IQ is good enough for most of my purposes with the 1", and if the camera's more likely to be with me (because of low weight/size) on a hike, then so be it. But, good enough is great in my book.

The aspect of the comparison I dislike more relates to speed - the time to get ready and zoom and recycle (including flash sometimes) is frustratingly long with the rx100 over the D750.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Greg23D Forum Member • Posts: 80

Hi

I went from D5100 then D7500 to a D780.  first few days of owning the D780 were quite startling because of perceived image quality, blurry photos and slow burst frame rates.  I soon realised I had to raise the shutter as the camera had 24mp, not 20mp to get solid images.

however, after a few days of taking photos of my children and nature, it soon clicked that actually, my D780 had better colours, clarity (but this is why I choose Nikon cameras anyway and also I don't mean a form of sharpening), better AF and a shallower DOF which make my photos look truly Full Frame.  I won't be going back to DX or cropped any time soon.

If you're concerned about your D750, you could look at the D610, D810 or even the D850.  or if you want to use your DX lenses, look at the D500, bomb proof build, AF performance of the top tier cameras and 10fps.  what's not to like!

Let us know what you think you'll decide on.

Greg

Greg23D's gear list:Greg23D's gear list
Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,323

j tokarz wrote:

Full Frame. In my oppinion is all hype (bar for incredibly few times, that i have never strayed into ) And i have one. The best pictures i have seen, come out of a nikon z50. They are so good i sold my Z6. I still do have a full frame, a canon but only for its 50 mpx. And its colours.

Not sure how a different tool could be hype.  What is an incredibly few times for you could be all the time for someone else.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Tord S Eriksson

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

I use my brain to help make informed choices

When it is overcast (often in the UK) scene dynamic range and contrast is normally low. In these situations the format used is usually not critical.

Agreed that low contrast situations are easiest to handle, no need for an MF camera then, and ideal for my Nikon 1 cameras, as long as there is enough light. In high contrast situations the bigger the better, as you know.

I choose the equipment I use dependent on the intended output - and how much weight I am prepared to carry how far.

I choose my equipment after what I have and what I can manage to bring along. As I'm disabled since a trip to Scotland 30 years ago, I can't bring along more than a limited about of gear, normally 6-7 kilograms, say three cameras, and four lenses, unless I am using crutches, as that has a drastic effect on the kit.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

dccberry Contributing Member • Posts: 792

I'm using my D850 for studio work and art duplication, and Fuji X-T3 for most work outside the studio, including portraits and editorial jobs. After using the Nikon gear for everything over the years, it now feels pretty cumbersome compared to the Fuji (or any other good small-sensor camera I'm betting ).  I'm now spoiled by having autofocus points cover the whole viewing area with the Fuji, so it clearly has the advantage for candid and editorial work.  In the studio, the optical viewfinder on the D850 is  better than an EVF in low light, and when printing really large (36 x 48" ) for clients, the full frame camera has the edge there. I'm not cheerleading for Fuji per se, just noting that both formats can be used effectively, and at this point, one is not inherently better than the other.

-- hide signature --
 dccberry's gear list:dccberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
Tord S Eriksson

dccberry wrote:

I'm using my D850 for studio work and art duplication, and Fuji X-T3 for most work outside the studio, including portraits and editorial jobs. After using the Nikon gear for everything over the years, it now feels pretty cumbersome compared to the Fuji (or any other good small-sensor camera I'm betting ). I'm now spoiled by having autofocus points cover the whole viewing area with the Fuji, so it clearly has the advantage for candid and editorial work. In the studio, the optical viewfinder on the D850 is better than an EVF in low light, and when printing really large (36 x 48" ) for clients, the full frame camera has the edge there. I'm not cheerleading for Fuji per se, just noting that both formats can be used effectively, and at this point, one is not inherently better than the other.

Interesting!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

dccberry Contributing Member • Posts: 792

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

dccberry wrote:

I'm using my D850 for studio work and art duplication, and Fuji X-T3 for most work outside the studio, including portraits and editorial jobs. After using the Nikon gear for everything over the years, it now feels pretty cumbersome compared to the Fuji (or any other good small-sensor camera I'm betting ). I'm now spoiled by having autofocus points cover the whole viewing area with the Fuji, so it clearly has the advantage for candid and editorial work. In the studio, the optical viewfinder on the D850 is better than an EVF in low light, and when printing really large (36 x 48" ) for clients, the full frame camera has the edge there. I'm not cheerleading for Fuji per se, just noting that both formats can be used effectively, and at this point, one is not inherently better than the other.

Interesting!

I would also suggest that the X-T3 is a great low-light camera, despite your theory that small sensors are not as good as full-frame for that use. I have done lots of stage work with a Nikon D4 and 70-210 f/2.8, and also with the X-T3 and 50-140 f/2.8, and the rate of keepers is much higher with the Fuji. Noise at ISO 3200 is not a problem with the Fuji, and the focus accuracy is  better, since there is no fine-tuning of lenses needed with mirrorless cameras.

-- hide signature --
 dccberry's gear list:dccberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads