I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Chips Pringle
Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 642
I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

I shoot interior real estate with my d7200’s using a 12-24 f4 lens or a 10-24 f3.5-4.5 lens. Exterior I use either a 16-85 or a 16-80 lens (all DX crop lenses). I also often mount full frame primes on my d7200’s, a 50, 85, 135 along with my 200-500 lens for wildlife. I use my d750’s for portraits, family sessions, corporate events and weddings.
Here’s my dilemma - the d7200 is a great camera, it’s smaller, feels good to hold, it creates great images and can handle both DX and full frame lenses. It also has a shutter that can go to 8000 where the d750 cannot. I’m considering (actually wanting to) sell the d750 to stay with the d7200. The d750 model has a history of failure issues and that scares me. I truly believe that with great glass (which I have in both DX and full frame in both primes and zooms) I can produce images just as good as a d750 and few people would know which camera actually took which images. So ...... have you left DX to go full frame and are glad you did, OR do you wish you still shot DX bodies with the advantage of mounting both DX and full frame lenses? Im really torn with this as I believe my d7200 with good lenses can match that of the d750. If you think I’m a moron for asking this question ...... well then perhaps I am🤷🏻‍♂️

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Nikon D7200 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,817
Re: I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi,

Well, I still have my D1H left over from when those were new. Gets used once in a while still. Moved from the to an APS-H 6 MP digital back on an F5 in 2003 and used that until I finally got a Df in 2018. I still use the F5 once in a while, too. But APS-H is the forgotten format in between DX and FX. Only use FX lenses the entire time, though.

My wife has a DX body and three DX lenses, if that counts.

I have no interest in anything DX these days. I went medium format, so the Df is the end of my line for anything smaller.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Nikon D1H Kodak DCS760 Nikon Df Kodak DCS520 Pentax 645D +19 more
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,427

You, and your audience, are the customer! The customer is king!

I looked at the D7200 and D750 when moving from film, both seemed excellent choices. You have them both, and will know whether the D750 gives you sufficient advantages in the events/weddings/portraits scene you identify. Having a single body type gives some advantages and economies.

Nor is there a requirement to have Fx, and if you're comfortable with the D7200, and clutching at straws to give you permission to sell the D750, permission is granted! Satisfy yourself, not some spec sheet or the old Fx means you're a pro nonsense.

The only thing I would be looking at, in this environment particularly, is reviewing whether or not video will be a part of your future, in which case you could be contemplating ML too. It's not a bad time to be thinking futures rather than tactical choices.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +2 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,407

Chips Pringle wrote:

I shoot interior real estate with my d7200’s using a 12-24 f4 lens or a 10-24 f3.5-4.5 lens. Exterior I use either a 16-85 or a 16-80 lens (all DX crop lenses). I also often mount full frame primes on my d7200’s, a 50, 85, 135 along with my 200-500 lens for wildlife. I use my d750’s for portraits, family sessions, corporate events and weddings.
Here’s my dilemma - the d7200 is a great camera, it’s smaller, feels good to hold, it creates great images and can handle both DX and full frame lenses. It also has a shutter that can go to 8000 where the d750 cannot. I’m considering (actually wanting to) sell the d750 to stay with the d7200. The d750 model has a history of failure issues and that scares me. I truly believe that with great glass (which I have in both DX and full frame in both primes and zooms) I can produce images just as good as a d750 and few people would know which camera actually took which images. So ...... have you left DX to go full frame and are glad you did, OR do you wish you still shot DX bodies with the advantage of mounting both DX and full frame lenses? Im really torn with this as I believe my d7200 with good lenses can match that of the d750. If you think I’m a moron for asking this question ...... well then perhaps I am🤷🏻‍♂️

I use my D7200 for interior real estate as well. Unless your client absolutely insists you shoot their properties with a full frame camera (some do, most don't) your D7200 will take images indistinguishable from full frame. Not even your client would know the difference...because there isn't any.

And, yes, I shoot DX and full frame. I could shoot real estate with a D600, a D610, a D800 or my D850. But I don't, I use my D7200.

For my clients not in real estate, they insist on me using my D850 so there you go.

Jocksa
Jocksa Contributing Member • Posts: 872

I use a D7100 and a D810. I use the 7100 when weight and size are more important and the 810 when it isn't. The success of the images I produce doesn't seem linked to which camera I have in my hand but, then again, I'm not producing them for fee paying clients with rules.

I recently did my summer holiday with just a DX kit and it performed very well.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
johnchap2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,379

Jocksa wrote:

I use a D7100 and a D810. I use the 7100 when weight and size are more important and the 810 when it isn't. The success of the images I produce doesn't seem linked to which camera I have in my hand but, then again, I'm not producing them for fee paying clients with rules.

I recently did my summer holiday with just a DX kit and it performed very well.

I too mix and match a bit, but having acquired a lot of hardware over the last 25 years I have more flexibility than you currently seem to have.

Shooting DX lenses on the D810 will reduce resolution to about 15MP. However, that is still a reasonable resolution for most applications/situations. And this strategy will allow full use of all your DX lenses along with the FX lenses you own and presumably also use.

I still have an old D7000 (16MP) which I only use when I want something lighter on casual walks in the park or similar. But for more serious shooting the DX body stays at home, and whatever subjects are planned I will use my FX bodies. Not sure about your D7100, but the low light performance of my D800 series bodes is much much better than what my old D7100 is capable of.  Am also not sure how the low light performance of your two bodies compare,.

With the strategy I use I select the lenses to take along based on their coverage [effective focal lengths], and don't worry much about whether they are FX or DX.

I have other examples, but one is that I use Tokina 10-17mm DX semi fisheye on my FX bodies.  I also have Nikon 16/2.8 semi fisheye which I seldom use since with the zoom on my Tokina I can frame the image as I want it to.

I only offer the above as food-for-thought, rather than any specific comments or suggestons.

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +18 more
Raticus
Raticus Regular Member • Posts: 309

I use both DX and FX.  I use DX with zooms and FX with primes.  I don't have a large kit:

D7500 + 16-80mm and 70-300mm AF-P VR (FX version)

D750 + 28mm 1.8G and 58mm 1.4G

I prefer primes on FX for the extra DOF control.  And the Zooms on DX are plenty good for my purposes, and I prefer the light weight and handling as others have mentioned.

Otherwise, I sometimes think if Nikon ever had a complete set of primes for DX, that I would have been happy to be 100% DX gear.

Raticus's gear list:Raticus's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon D5300 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +3 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,505

Chips Pringle wrote:

Like Raticus I find great delight in the D7500 for high ISO and wildlife photography, not least when the contrast is low.

When less mobile (staying at home) I find the old D600 sweet, for animals, birds and humans. I have a big 150-600 S as well, but that does not get that much use, even around the house.

For macro I find the old Nikon 1 cameras a delight, and for extreme reach, say 1080mm equivalent (that is with my 100-400 C) not much can beat it.
But the FX stays at home, most of the time (using it with primes mostly, plus that Sigma 100-400 C).

Yesterday:

Good luck,

Tord

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Raticus
Raticus Regular Member • Posts: 309

I really enjoy the D7500 quite a lot, I use the 70-300mm as my critter lens.  But the 16-80mm is attached about 90% of the time to be honest.  Both lenses are fantastic on the D7500.

Raticus's gear list:Raticus's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon D5300 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +3 more
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 703

If I were you I’d sell both the D750 and D7200 and buy a nice used or even new D500. It has a little better sensor in my opinion. Plus it’s a professional body that’s much more customizable, much better AF, low light AF, etc. If you’re going to go all in on DX with Nikon than definitely get the best. The D500 is a big step up from the D7200 in my opinion, but for interior architecture I’m not sure you’ll see as much as if you would with say wildlife. So it’s hard to say if it’s worth it to you, but that’s just my 2 cents. If I was doing what you do, especially if professionally than I’d be shooting full frame. Either D780 or D5 and 19mm tilt shift, 24mm tilt shift and Tamron 15-30mm, plus 24-70mm f2.8E VR.

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon D500 +2 more
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,115

I  thought the D7200 and D750 were virtually identical in size.  Now the LENSES, that's a different story.

I had a D7200, then when I lost it I bought a used D750.  I did a lot of research and besides a noise advantage with the D750, there seems to be a slight advantage in tonal qualities with the full frame.  This would be most apparent with portraits and maybe landscapes.

I did not have the cameras at the same time but I did manage to shoot a couple of subjects from the same place under very similar conditions.  The D7200 image actually appears to have better detail than the D750, due to not having an AA filter.  This has been discussed before and it may be "false detail" due to aliasing, and with some post processing sharpening the D750 image starts to look very close.

I don't have plans to go back to DX but I have thought about buying another DX body for 2 possible reasons- first there would be slight benefit when using long lenses for bird photography, second something like a D3400 could make a very light setup for casual every day carry or for hiking and that sort of thing.  So in my mind there are uses for both formats and there is plenty of justification for owning and using both.

Chips Pringle
OP Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 642

Thank you all for your input to my post, I appreciate it👍👋🏻

Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Tord S Eriksson

patricksmith32 wrote:

If I were you I’d sell both the D750 and D7200 and buy a nice used or even new D500. It has a little better sensor in my opinion. Plus it’s a professional body that’s much more customizable, much better AF, low light AF, etc. If you’re going to go all in on DX with Nikon than definitely get the best. The D500 is a big step up from the D7200 in my opinion, but for interior architecture I’m not sure you’ll see as much as if you would with say wildlife. So it’s hard to say if it’s worth it to you, but that’s just my 2 cents. If I was doing what you do, especially if professionally than I’d be shooting full frame. Either D780 or D5 and 19mm tilt shift, 24mm tilt shift and Tamron 15-30mm, plus 24-70mm f2.8E VR.

Just a note: The D7500 and the D500 have the same sensor and processor, but the rest is quite different.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

Chips Pringle

Yes I too wish Nikon had a line of DX primes. If they did  I’d shoo DX only.

Chips Pringle

I have my 16-80 on my d7200 often, beautiful lens, very sharp and nor too big. I need to get used to my new to me d750’s though.

Tord S Eriksson

Raticus wrote:

I really enjoy the D7500 quite a lot, I use the 70-300mm as my critter lens. But the 16-80mm is attached about 90% of the time to be honest. Both lenses are fantastic on the D7500.

Haven't got that 16-80, but been dreaming!

Mine is just now is equipped with my 70-200/4.0G, another nice lens!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

Jocksa

johnchap2 wrote:

I too mix and match a bit, but having acquired a lot of hardware over the last 25 years I have more flexibility than you currently seem to have.

Shooting DX lenses on the D810 will reduce resolution to about 15MP. However, that is still a reasonable resolution for most applications/situations. And this strategy will allow full use of all your DX lenses along with the FX lenses you own and presumably also use.

Hi John.

I have coverage from 18mm to 400mm in FX so I'm not sure why I would put a DX lens on the 810. If it was because I wanted the smaller size and weight of the DX lens, then putting it on an 810 to get 15MP or putting it on a smaller, lighter 7100 to get 24MP seems like an easy choice also.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
Jocksa

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Raticus wrote:

I really enjoy the D7500 quite a lot, I use the 70-300mm as my critter lens. But the 16-80mm is attached about 90% of the time to be honest. Both lenses are fantastic on the D7500.

Haven't got that 16-80, but been dreaming!

Mine is just now is equipped with my 70-200/4.0G, another nice lens!

I have an old 17-55/2.8 and a newer 16-85/3.5-5.6. If anything the latter is sharper in the corners.

I've just ordered a grey-import 16-80/2.8-4.0 for less than the cost of a mint used one. It doesn't have a Nikon warranty but then neither does a used one but it's brand new and has a one year warranty with the shop.

I'm hoping it will outperform both and allow them to be sold but I intend to conduct a test when it arrives so I'll post the results. I'll also compare it to the 24-120/4.0 lens on the D810 for info.

-- hide signature --

Chips Pringle

For dx bodies the 16-80 is a great lens. I haven’t used mine a while bunch because I haven’t had it long and I mainly shoot full frame.

Chips Pringle

I have a 16-80, you’ll love that lens👍

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads