Outdoor Floral compositions: Used a small LED panel or Lume Cube?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
nkistrup
nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,451
Outdoor Floral compositions: Used a small LED panel or Lume Cube?

Has anyone tried this on flowers in an outdoor setting?

Typical uses of this lighting would be,

• Fill in shadows when their harsh light
  • Freeze the subject, where there is a light breeze

What kind of success, or failure did you experience?

Niels

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BSiler Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Outdoor Floral compositions: Used a small LED panel or Lume Cube?

I bought a 4 inch by 6 inch LED panel for flower photography.  I've only had one chance to try it, but I found it really helpful in photographing a magnolia blossom that was in deep shade.

BSiler's gear list:BSiler's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
nkistrup
OP nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,451

BSiler wrote:

I bought a 4 inch by 6 inch LED panel for flower photography. I've only had one chance to try it, but I found it really helpful in photographing a magnolia blossom that was in deep shade.

Thanks, and it came out nice.  What brand was it?  One gentleman recommended Aputure.  That size is about right --> 4x6.

Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +10 more
BSiler Regular Member • Posts: 452

The brand is LitePanels. The model is MicroPro. I'm not sure they still make it. But it's very much like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/857246-REG/genaray_led_6200t_144_lamp_variable_clr.html

It was an impulse buy from LensAuthority.com -- the used gear selling affiliate of LensRentals.com

BSiler's gear list:BSiler's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,096

After years of experimentation I've settled on the pop up flash on the camera! This might seem minimalist but it works for me. It is close to the lens axis so fills shadows pretty well and the very brief burst of light stops the subject.  Being close to the subject the power is adequate.

Gagea lutea

This was a balance between available light and the flash. I slowed the shutter speed down until the background was not too dark and used the flash on manual adjusting the aperture to get the flash exposure right. You cannot do this with a continuous light, you are left without the ability to balance the two illuminants in that way.

Veronica spicata

This one is also balanced daylight and flash, but taken at the X-sync speed. The flash only adds a tiny bit to the exposure (both set at -1 stops EV) but it makes the whole thing just that little bit sharper.

To really stop motion needs either the whole exposure from the flash (so a dark background) or a lot of light from a light panel allowing a very fast shutter speed (and also a dark background). Either way backgound illumination falls off rapidly.

I have toyed with the idea of a continuous light to aid focussing and to judge the results but in truth I think it is just GAS.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
nkistrup
OP nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,451

a_c_skinner wrote:

After years of experimentation I've settled on the pop up flash on the camera! This might seem minimalist but it works for me. It is close to the lens axis so fills shadows pretty well and the very brief burst of light stops the subject. Being close to the subject the power is adequate.

Gagea lutea

This was a balance between available light and the flash. I slowed the shutter speed down until the background was not too dark and used the flash on manual adjusting the aperture to get the flash exposure right. You cannot do this with a continuous light, you are left without the ability to balance the two illuminants in that way.

Veronica spicata

This one is also balanced daylight and flash, but taken at the X-sync speed. The flash only adds a tiny bit to the exposure (both set at -1 stops EV) but it makes the whole thing just that little bit sharper.

To really stop motion needs either the whole exposure from the flash (so a dark background) or a lot of light from a light panel allowing a very fast shutter speed (and also a dark background). Either way backgound illumination falls off rapidly.

I have toyed with the idea of a continuous light to aid focussing and to judge the results but in truth I think it is just GAS.

So Andrew, you haven't tried continuous lighting?  Glad that using the pop-up flash worked for you.

Definitely want the lighting the away from the camera, between 10:00 & 14:00.  (Before reading your post, thought that putting the light MUCH FURTHER was the ticket ... now, 6 to 9 inches could handle most situations.)

Though I don't agree your solution (lighting is too even w. no shadows, for my taste), you have me rethinking the deployment issue).

Niels

ken_in_nh Contributing Member • Posts: 977

a_c_skinner wrote:

After years of experimentation I've settled on the pop up flash on the camera! This might seem minimalist but it works for me. It is close to the lens axis so fills shadows pretty well and the very brief burst of light stops the subject. Being close to the subject the power is adequate.

Nice idea (and results!)

In all my years of macro, I never thought of this simple solution.

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,096

No, but I understand the physics.  I did think about a LED panel, but it is easy to drown in gear.  With flash you can balance daylight and flash by changing the shutter speed, which you cannot easily do with continous lighting.  With a continuous light you can judge the effect better but as the images come up immediately without a trip to the lab that is less of an advantage than it might have been.  It helps with focusssing too.

The advantage of a panel is of course that the shadows won't be as deep, like a softbox. I am after an image without deep shadows.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads