Color management

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Fotocorn
Fotocorn Regular Member • Posts: 187
Color management

Hi,

Just one quick question.

I print using an Epson R3000 and Edit using Elements 2018 with Add-on Elements+

When printing should the printer handle color management or should the Editing Program?

Fotocorn's gear list:Fotocorn's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,778
Re: Color management

Unless you have calibrated your monitor so Photoshop knows what colors you really see use the printer driver. You also have to understand a bit about color spaces, gamuts, bit depths and how to use paper profiles (hopefully with soft proofing) to use Adobe color managed printing.

If you are on top of all that you can use PS color managed printing even in Elements (not sure if Elements has soft proofing).

If you do not understand calibration, color spaces and all the rest do not let Photoshop manage colors. If you do most likely every print will look pink.

You can get excellent prints using the printer driver with a little experience. Particularly if you have an all jpeg/sRGB workflow and don't use a heavy hand with the brightness/saturation/vibrance sliders.

No matter how you print it helps to understand how to evaluate a print on its own and not in direct comparison to the monitor.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,957

If you're printing to an Epson paper and you dont want to mess w/ color-managed workflow, then let the printer handle the colors and you should get pretty good results.

it gets more complicated if you go off the Epson reservation and start using non-Epson papers.

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

Fotocorn
OP Fotocorn Regular Member • Posts: 187

Thanks,

My monitor is regularly calibrated, so hopefully photoshop knows what the real colors are.

I thought I knew a reasonable amount about Gamut, color space etc until I started following this forum. Now I know I am one of the " them that know not what they no not" brigade !

I never convert my images to jpeg, i shoot in Raw ( my camera is set to the Adobe space, and process in ACR and edit in Elements with the Elements+ add on, which provides me with the soft proof facility.

I print from resized psd files in adobeRGB .

Should  I be changing to sRGB and Jpg?

Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Fotocorn

Thanks,

I do use Epson Paper, not many alternatives in South Africa !

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,957

no, dont change to sRGB/jpg.  You're doing fine; you just need to understand and use a color-managed workflow.  By calibrating the screen you're 1/2 way there.  Now just start using the real printer/paper ICC profile during softproof and printing.

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

Fotocorn

Thanks

I am using the original Epson ICC profile, but I am using bulk ink from ConeColor in the states.

I am trying to get a profile from them for their ink and Epson Paper.

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,001
Guys the OP is using 3rd party inks.....

Cone ColorPRO inks.  The chances of printing correct colors letting the printer manages colors is slim.  He is downloading the custom ICC profiles from Cone’s site for the ink/paper combinations he will use.  Thus he needs to set his Elements app to allow the app to manage colors.  I have run the Cone inks with the same Epson R3000 that he is using.  Cone’s ICC profiles are ok but not as good as custom generated profiles.

Bob P.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads