WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS ON NEW LANDSCAPE CAMERA

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
raven4ns2 Forum Member • Posts: 91
WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS ON NEW LANDSCAPE CAMERA

I am an amateur photographer who is considering an upgrade to my current camera. I shoot mostly intimate landscapes and nature abstracts. The camera I am using is a Canon 1Dsmkii but it has one drawback that I would like to overcome. At times I use ISO400 because I shoot in the woods where there often times is not a lot of light. The newer camera to me should be able to shoot ISO800 up to an including ISO6400 and still produce good quality images.
Because I shoot Canon, I would be looking at a Canon DSLR and a used one at that. There are so many models of Canon cameras I am unsure which would be the best for my needs. Any landscape photographers using a Canon DSLR for their shooting please advise me as to which you feel is the best for that genre. The latest Canon models are too expensive but perhaps there are a couple of FF models that could give me what I am looking for. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Regards,

Tim

-- hide signature --

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down...... It is how many times he gets back up.

raven4ns2's gear list:raven4ns2's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM
Chris Kippax
Chris Kippax Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS ON NEW LANDSCAPE CAMERA

5ds

6D

would be my choices if on a budget

-- hide signature --

Instagram: chris_kippax

Chris Kippax's gear list:Chris Kippax's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +3 more
photopeteralfa
photopeteralfa Regular Member • Posts: 186

raven4ns2 wrote:

I am an amateur photographer who is considering an upgrade to my current camera. I shoot mostly intimate landscapes and nature abstracts. The camera I am using is a Canon 1Dsmkii but it has one drawback that I would like to overcome. At times I use ISO400 because I shoot in the woods where there often times is not a lot of light. The newer camera to me should be able to shoot ISO800 up to an including ISO6400 and still produce good quality images.
Because I shoot Canon, I would be looking at a Canon DSLR and a used one at that. There are so many models of Canon cameras I am unsure which would be the best for my needs. Any landscape photographers using a Canon DSLR for their shooting please advise me as to which you feel is the best for that genre. The latest Canon models are too expensive but perhaps there are a couple of FF models that could give me what I am looking for. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Regards,

Tim

5Ds

5Ds R

5D IV

5Ds run under 1200$ on Amazon .

Regards

Peter

photopeteralfa's gear list:photopeteralfa's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS 5DS +1 more
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 6,980

Don't ask me why but I have a 5D4 and I'm old and I "don't "go out like I did in the past" on photo shoots but I love these---- I have both. I don't know about the other suggestions but I would suggest 6D or 5D4 for a landscape--- especially if you have EF lenses.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

raven4ns2 wrote:

Regards,

Tim

Budget is a big driver for suggestions. The 6D (from all reports) has an excellent sensor but not the bells and whistles and certainly not the best AF performer.

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more
OP raven4ns2 Forum Member • Posts: 91

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate your help.

-- hide signature --

Tim
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down...... It is how many times he gets back up.

MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,284

Because I shoot Canon, I would be looking at a Canon DSLR and a used one at that. There are so many models of Canon cameras I am unsure which would be the best for my needs. Any landscape photographers using a Canon DSLR for their shooting please advise me as to which you feel is the best for that genre.

5Ds is available under $1100

5DsR is available under $1400

5DIV is available around $2100

6DII is available around $1000

Given the above, the 5Ds is a better bargain than the 6DII or 5DIV and neck in neck with 5DsR.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,878

2nd hand 5Ds would be a good choice. or 6D II if you want something cheaper.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,476
Why High ISO?

When I shoot landscapes, I often use a tripod and open the shutter as long as needed.  I keep my ISO at 100 for landscapes. 
There are other things that matter in landscapes, like the sensor’s dynamic range.  
But any of the newer FF Canons can handle ISO 6400, that’s not very high these days, depending on the results you’re expecting.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,182

For purely landscape work? I'd have to go with either a grey market ebay 5Ds for $1100 or a used Sony A7RII with a Canon lens adapter for about the same price. I'd probably take the Sony of the two for the excellent dynamic range.  You'll have to spend about 3 times that to get anything better.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +14 more

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm very grateful for all the help so freely given.

Best regards,

Tim

-- hide signature --

Tim

GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

raven4ns2 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm very grateful for all the help so freely given.

Best regards,

Tim

No shortage of suggestions and opinions here... lol

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,695
5DMkIV is the best alternative

GreatWhiteWing wrote:

raven4ns2 wrote:

Best regards,

Tim

No shortage of suggestions and opinions here... lol

The price is not terrible high. Expensive still, I bought mine in 2019 when I found a bargain

I just compared 5DMkIV and the new R5  - there are tests available ...

5DMkIV has perhaps better sensor for landscapes - sometimes you need more dynamic range. Higher ISO RAW files are noise free and great for editing.

R5 is great but it is not better for landscapes. Surprisingly.

6D is a nice camera - great high ISO. But IF you want more dynamic range ( in forests around here I need DR) 5DMkIV  is the best. MkIII no so great.

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +11 more
Re: 5DMkIV is the best alternative

LOL... I had my mind made up almost on the 5Dsr until I read about the last posts on the 5Dmkiv. Now it seems as though I will need to look at it closer. Either camera I'm sure would do the job I need it to do and is a better camera than I am a photographer.

Your input has been a big help in coming to my decision, Thank you once again everyone, it is truly appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Tim

KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,695

raven4ns2 wrote:

LOL... I had my mind made up almost on the 5Dsr until I read about the last posts on the 5Dmkiv. Now it seems as though I will need to look at it closer. Either camera I'm sure would do the job I need it to do and is a better camera than I am a photographer.

Your input has been a big help in coming to my decision, Thank you once again everyone, it is truly appreciated.

IMO landscape shooting is not easy for a camera - or the photographer 

I think 5DMkIV was the first Canon DSLR. with a new type of sensor (more DR)  - also 80D (ASPS C size) was quite good for landscapes.

In forest (I do not know what kind of forests you have) the light can be problematic. There are deep shadows and at the same time some spots have bright sunlight - that is where good DR is needed and dark shadows should be noise free (if you like to see what there is in the shadow ) Something like 5DmkIV sensor is great for resolution - but the DR is often a problem ( I have seen only some tests )

IMO 5dMkIV is at the moment the best  (affordable) Canon alternative for difficult contrasty landscapes. Enough MPX too.

I use also Fujifilm cameras and they have also a good sensor for landscapes and low light - but IMO 5DMkIV RAW files are easier to adjust and there is perhaps  less noise in dark (almost black) shadows

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +11 more

KariP wrote:

IMO landscape shooting is not easy for a camera - or the photographer

I think 5DMkIV was the first Canon DSLR. with a new type of sensor (more DR) - also 80D (ASPS C size) was quite good for landscapes.

In forest (I do not know what kind of forests you have) the light can be problematic. There are deep shadows and at the same time some spots have bright sunlight - that is where good DR is needed and dark shadows should be noise free (if you like to see what there is in the shadow ) Something like 5DmkIV sensor is great for resolution - but the DR is often a problem ( I have seen only some tests )

We used to have to bracket shots and then fold the DR back together in post processing.

IMO 5dMkIV is at the moment the best (affordable) Canon alternative for difficult contrasty landscapes. Enough MPX too.

I use also Fujifilm cameras and they have also a good sensor for landscapes and low light - but IMO 5DMkIV RAW files are easier to adjust and there is perhaps less noise in dark (almost black) shadows

It is still a speed versus resolution game.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

What I meant to say

What I meant to say is::

that a while back, taking good pictures took effort, and a lot of the advances of modern cameras have removed a lot of the effort it took. Bracketing used to be the only way to get high DR--often with lots of time spent in post processing--a challenge--and for those of us who enjoy these kinds of challenges, worthy of our efforts.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,476

raven4ns2 wrote:

I think the 5D IV is overall better. The AF is faster, frame rate is higher, video is better... I think the 5Ds targeted studio photographers who used studio lighting. But there are shooters who love it, that’s for sure c

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
Photoclever Junior Member • Posts: 47

KariP wrote:

The price is not terrible high. Expensive still, I bought mine in 2019 when I found a bargain

I just compared 5DMkIV and the new R5 - there are tests available ...

5DMkIV has perhaps better sensor for landscapes - sometimes you need more dynamic range. Higher ISO RAW files are noise free and great for editing.

R5 is great but it is not better for landscapes. Surprisingly.

The new R5 has much higher resolution and also has greater DR, so I'm not sure how you concluded that the 5D4 is equal to it for landscapes.

Versus the 5Ds or 5DsR the 5D4 has more DR but 5Ds resolution matches the R5. I would take the resolution. The only time the 5Ds doesn't have enough DR is when the sun is in the frame, and when that happens there's a good chance you will be blending 2 or more exposures on any camera. But the resolution difference is in every shot.

That said any of the three can do a good job. It has been years since there has been a camera model which couldn't produce a decent landscape to at least 16x24" print size.

Photoclever Junior Member • Posts: 47

MarshallG wrote:

I think the 5D IV is overall better. The AF is faster, frame rate is higher, video is better... I think the 5Ds targeted studio photographers who used studio lighting. But there are shooters who love it, that’s for sure c

The saturation of detail even in large prints is addictive. The 5D4 and R feel like very good 35mm format cameras. The 5Ds feels like it belongs with MF backs.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads