25 mm and 45 mm and 15 mm body cap and 9 mm body cap on the G9

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
FourthHorse
FourthHorse Regular Member • Posts: 222
25 mm and 45 mm and 15 mm body cap and 9 mm body cap on the G9

I have a chance to buy all of them for $400 canadian, all in good shape. Both the 25 and 45 are of the f/1.8 persuasion. Would these two be a good fit for a Panasonic body ? Are there any problems that I should anticipate ?

Thank you kindly for your help.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse
Erri De Luca said that humans live as long as three horses and then goes on displaying his wisdom. I'm well past both.

FourthHorse's gear list:FourthHorse's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,816
Re: 25 mm and 45 mm and 15 mm body cap and 9 mm body cap on the G9

C$400 for a G9 + those 4 lenses sounds like an unbelievable deal. The G9 alone is usually a lot more than that. Sure they all work and weren't dropped in the ocean or something?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Henry Richardson's gear list:Henry Richardson's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
FourthHorse
OP FourthHorse Regular Member • Posts: 222

Henry Richardson wrote:

C$400 for a G9 + those 4 lenses sounds like an unbelievable deal. The G9 alone is usually a lot more than that. Sure they all work and weren't dropped in the ocean or someth

:d I guess that I should have said "for" the g9... Which is already a camera I have.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse
Erri De Luca said that humans live as long as three horses and then goes on displaying his wisdom. I'm well past both.

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro
cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 4,099

FourthHorse wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

C$400 for a G9 + those 4 lenses sounds like an unbelievable deal. The G9 alone is usually a lot more than that. Sure they all work and weren't dropped in the ocean or someth

:d I guess that I should have said "for" the g9... Which is already a camera I have.

Still a hard to believe bargain. Almost too good to be true assuming they are in good nick. Make sure they are legally owned.... Go for it, no problem whatsoever on a Panasonic body.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III +15 more
FourthHorse

FourthHorse wrote:

I have a chance to buy all of them for $400 canadian, all in good shape. Both the 25 and 45 are of the f/1.8 persuasion. Would these two be a good fit for a Panasonic body ? Are there any problems that I should anticipate ?

What about continuous AF, tracking, face/animal recognition, focus limiter ? I count on those quite a bit. DFD being lens characteristics dependent and all...

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse

WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,423

FourthHorse wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

What about continuous AF, tracking, face/animal recognition, focus limiter ? I count on those quite a bit. DFD being lens characteristics dependent and all...

Body cap lens is set focus. So none of that applies

s-af speed will be very good. I am not sure about tracking. Maybe someone else can comment

Both those lenses are US$150 used and the body cap should be $50 used. So US$350 would be a fair but not a great price. I am not sure how that would translate to the Canadian buying experience.

hope this helps in someway.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
FourthHorse

WT21 wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

s-af speed will be very good. I am not sure about tracking. Maybe someone else can comment

Both those lenses are US$150 used and the body cap should be $50 used. So US$350 would be a fair but not a great price. I am not sure how that would translate to the Canadian buying experience.

It does help in many good ways. At this instant US$150 translate to CAN$195. The best that I can find here on Kijiji or on Ebay.ca is more like CAN$300 used. Montreal is a fairly large city but surely I could find better if I were living in the US.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,121

You might want to check prices on a used 42.5 f/1.7, which would give you DFD, Dual IS, a closer focus distance, and a hood and pouch.  I've had both and think the IQ is very close between it and the 45mm f/1.7, but for a G9 I would definitely recommend the 1.7 over the 1.8.

I've not owned or used either the 25 f/1.8 or f/1.7, but my impression from others here is that the Oly might hold the edge.

I've never considered buying either of the body cap lenses.  They strike me as more of a novelty, so I'd focus on what you want on the other two.

My two cents.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +25 more
FourthHorse

brentbrent wrote:

You might want to check prices on a used 42.5 f/1.7, which would give you DFD, Dual IS, a closer focus distance, and a hood and pouch. I've had both and think the IQ is very close between it and the 45mm f/1.7, but for a G9 I would definitely recommend the 1.7 over the 1.8.

Found one, asking price CAN$390 (aka US$300). It is in a new state.

I've not owned or used either the 25 f/1.8 or f/1.7, but my impression from others here is that the Oly might hold the edge.

If I am patient enough I could likely find a Panasonic Summilux f/1.4 for CAN$450 (aka US$340).

I've never considered buying either of the body cap lenses. They strike me as more of a novelty

There's nothing I wouldn't try once.

, so I'd focus on what you want on the other two.

My two cents.

Thank you for your advice. When I was young there were one beautiful neighbor and her cousin living nearby, both strikingly beautiful and still quite nice. Hell was having to choose between them.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,121

FourthHorse wrote:

When I was young there were one beautiful neighbor and her cousin living nearby, both strikingly beautiful and still quite nice. Hell was having to choose between them.

As long as you end up with one of them, you can't lose!

I really liked the 45 f/1.8.   I got a good bundle deal on a camera I bought so I got the 42.5 f/1.7 and compared them, with the conclusions I mentioned above.  So I sold the 45, but not out of any dissatisfaction with it.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +25 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Forum Pro • Posts: 10,729

FourthHorse wrote:

If you want those lenses, it seems like a reasonable deal. The 25mm and 45mm are good starter lenses.

I bought a 15mm bodycap during a GAS attack, used it a few times and never again.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +34 more
FourthHorse

brentbrent wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

When I was young there were one beautiful neighbor and her cousin living nearby, both strikingly beautiful and still quite nice. Hell was having to choose between them.

I really liked the 45 f/1.8. I got a good bundle deal on a camera I bought so I got the 42.5 f/1.7 and compared them, with the conclusions I mentioned above. So I sold the 45, but not out of any dissatisfaction with it.

I couldn't decide.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse

FourthHorse

FourthHorse wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

I really liked the 45 f/1.8. I got a good bundle deal on a camera I bought so I got the 42.5 f/1.7 and compared them, with the conclusions I mentioned above. So I sold the 45, but not out of any dissatisfaction with it.

I couldn't decide.

I mean, I ended up wih someone else, of course.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse

JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 5,111

jeffharris wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

If you want those lenses, it seems like a reasonable deal. The 25mm and 45mm are good starter lenses.

I bought a 15mm bodycap during a GAS attack, used it a few times and never again.

I saw the samples also and the 15mm seems of limited value. Better than nothing in a pinch, but not really a lens that I can see people using much on purpose. The 9mm body cap on the other hand actually has quite decent IQ.

I wish they made a higher IQ body cap of similar focal length to the 15mm. Would work nicely to turn some cameras to truly pocketable status.

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +6 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 8,096

JakeJY wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

I saw the samples also and the 15mm seems of limited value. Better than nothing in a pinch, but not really a lens that I can see people using much on purpose. The 9mm body cap on the other hand actually has quite decent IQ.

I wish they made a higher IQ body cap of similar focal length to the 15mm. Would work nicely to turn some cameras to truly pocketable status.

The 14/2.5 gets pretty close to that... Not quite a body cap, but way faster, still slimmer than some other pancakes (the 20/1.7 is pretty wide, physically I mean), as sharp as any decent native prime. If it weren't for the 12-32 & 20/1.7 I'd probably own the 14/2.5, but it seemed a bit redundant next to those two for my usage case.

I think being a fisheye is what makes the 9mm body cap optically better (easier design), dunno how much better a "premium body cap" could be.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +29 more
FourthHorse

jeffharris wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

If nothing else I could flip them and make a bit of money to put on something else but that is no my sport.

Yeah, I went on Youtube to see what it was like. Well, not that much. The 9mm is much better though, if one is out and about the day and hour one can actually use it that is.

Then, from one link to another I came across the Lomography experimental lens kit...TBC

Whatever happens stuff finds its place in the end.

Thanks for the shared experience.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse

cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 4,099

Impulses wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

The 14/2.5 gets pretty close to that... Not quite a body cap, but way faster, still slimmer than some other pancakes (the 20/1.7 is pretty wide, physically I mean), as sharp as any decent native prime. If it weren't for the 12-32 & 20/1.7 I'd probably own the 14/2.5, but it seemed a bit redundant next to those two for my usage case.

I think being a fisheye is what makes the 9mm body cap optically better (easier design), dunno how much better a "premium body cap" could be.

I think on a G9, the 14mm seriously qualifies as a bodycap:

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III +15 more
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,151

jeffharris wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

Same for me with the 15mm.

It really is a toy.

The 45 is one of my workhorse lenses - it's what I habitually reach out to for head and shoulders portraits.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T Sony ZV-1 +19 more
FourthHorse

Thanks to your good advice, a lot of reading and viewing too, I was able to assuage my GAS. It did cost me more than the CAN$400 I had found for the Oly lenses. Three times more for the P.Leica 25mm f/1.4 and the P.Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4. Both lenses are mint since they were bought at the same time as a Panasonic g85 which has with an actuation count < 3000.

Thanks again for your thoughtful advice. It may seem that I took no account of it but discussing my needs and goals with you all helped me make a decision.

JM

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse

Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,801

FourthHorse wrote:

WT21 wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

FourthHorse wrote:

It does help in many good ways. At this instant US$150 translate to CAN$195. The best that I can find here on Kijiji or on Ebay.ca is more like CAN$300 used. Montreal is a fairly large city but surely I could find better if I were living in the US.

Don't even think about it. I'd rather pay more for lenses than get covid 19.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Fourth Horse

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads