How large a print can be made from an uncropped Nikon D700?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,584
Re: How large a print can be made from an uncropped Nikon D700?

bjn70 wrote:

Viewing distance is the key. I've seen large banners hanging from buildings, something  I rarely print but I made a 20x30 print from a slightly cropped D750 image and looking at it up close it still has good detail. Therefore the 12MP image from a D700 could probably do a reasonably good 16x20 that could be examined closely. People say they have made good 24x36 prints from a D750

As a PAGB judge I know good 16x12 images from 12 MP, including close inspection by a judge to check fine detail quality, are not difficult to make.

However a lot depends on the printer.

Prints made to a high standard from a high quality printer look better - to distinctly better - on close inspection compared to print made to a low standard from a low quality printer.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
Chips Pringle
Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 642

If you shot the image with good shooting methods and a good quality lens I believe you can  print at least 24x30.  Smaller may look sharper.

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +10 more
Michiel953
Michiel953 Regular Member • Posts: 100

I have four framed 20" x 25" D700 prints on my wall at home. Great detail also up close, and I wouldn't hesitate to go larger.

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to go as large with my current D850.

-- hide signature --

I'll play it first, and tell you what it is later

Michiel953's gear list:Michiel953's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Stujomo
Stujomo Senior Member • Posts: 1,771

HenrilensUK wrote:

In this case it would be a picture to hang at home, so it needs to be able to be examined from a few inches. There seems to be a fair debate on line with confusion between DPI and PPI. Guys, I came to DPreview for a definitive answer. Thanks if anyone is able to help resolve this.

You can print it as big as you want. There is no grain or noise really with a D700 at low ISO. If you interpolate to the size you want you won't see jagged lines or anything like that. The larger you print it the softer it may look but if you have all the details you would expect to see in the subject it will work just fine.
At higher ISOs the larger you print the more the noise will be visible but if you use the higher ISOs and use the noise (grain) artistically then still even very large prints will be fine.
A 42inch wide print from D700 at low ISO will look great.
Don't over think it just do it.
I worked for 7 years making prints with wide format inkjet printers. When the Canon 5D and Nikon D2 came out with 12 mp we were all like wow these prints look amazing.

Stujomo's gear list:Stujomo's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

Stujomo wrote:

.... When the Canon 5D and Nikon D2 came out with 12 mp we were all like wow these prints look amazing.

To some extent, that's part of the problem - both the photographers and their audiences have higher expectations over time. Once upon a time, SVGA and XGA were a great improvement....

People are also aware of minor differences when comparing, some more than others, so that softness that might have been acceptable previously may look a bit off, as reported above.

Of course, where that point of acceptability is in terms of subject, rendering, printing, size, viewing distance and so on, is rather subjective. My experience is that people are now more prone to look closely at detail, which they expect to be there.

The other issues is that, even with good framing, you may want to print in a different aspect ratio, losing pixels.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
jebo1 Regular Member • Posts: 289

feet!

jebo1's gear list:jebo1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D3 Nikon D700 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads