The Lumix S1r has landed! Locked

Started Aug 31, 2020 | User reviews
This thread is locked.
MirrorlessFrame New Member • Posts: 24
The Lumix S1r has landed!

The Lumix S1r is not for beginner or intermediate photographers, unless you can dive into hours of study to understand the complexity this camera offers and afford the proper glass for this baby. I have been testing this camera for the past week and it has destroyed every other mirrorless camera I have used in the past. After watching dozens of videos made by industry hacks and professionals, I started to laugh because I have been a cinematographer / DIT for over 20 years, and I have been anticipating this camera being available. As photography has evolved, I have come to realize many others have a hard time evolving with their camera gear and blame the gear instead of their lack of ability to understand that the Lumix S1r is in its own class. I can't say one bad thing about this camera. It is probably more suitable, though, for the cimematographer or studio photographers than the everyday hobbyist. There are plenty of lenses offered for this camera through Sigma, but don't buy this camera unless you're going in deep to buy Leica lenses. Bottom line: the Lumix S1r is simply the best full-frame camera that exists today.

MirrorlessFrame's gear list:MirrorlessFrame's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R
47 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Feb 1, 2019
MirrorlessFrame's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
ncsakany
ncsakany Senior Member • Posts: 2,431
Re: The Lumix S1r has landed!

It's a great camera, no doubt, but I wouldn't call it the best. Especially not for video, on which you place a lot of emphasis, where the less expensive S1 is arguably a better choice.

That being said, I own one, and it's the most pleasurable to shoot with. Though this is my subjective opinion.

Cryhavoc38 Contributing Member • Posts: 658

I would consider the Panny S pro lenses to be, dollar for dollar, a better use of the funds. Leica glass is great, but the Panasonic S pro glass is fantastic and costs much less.

I am also enjoying the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN L mount. Costs over a thousand less than the Panasonic and is a wonderful lens. Informally shot a wedding over the weekend with it. Informally since I was a family member and not the official wedding photogs.

I used my Pan 70-200 F4 and the Sigma 24-70 DG DN and came home with some fantastic shots.

Buy Leica if you can swing it and money is no object, but buy Panasonic Pro glass and Sigma DG DN if you prefer to spend wisely

Oh and welcome to the S1R club.

DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 23,335
Not really a review

Although this is billed as a review, it isn't. It's a testimonial or personal opinion. It would have been better posted as a standard forum post.

-- hide signature --
Autoxave Regular Member • Posts: 262

Is it better than Leica SL2?

OP MirrorlessFrame New Member • Posts: 24

Yes the S1r is absolutely better than the Leica SL2. Due to the smaller design, the SL2 has a smaller battery than the Panasonic S1H and S1R which have similar video specs. Leica SL2 appears to fail to record in 4K or perform burst shooting, on many occasions some say without warning. The severity of the problems depends on the lenses used. So yeah I think the S1r is gonna live longer like a fine classic Mercedes while this SL2 Tesla is gonna burn out from getting pushed way too hard. The touch screen at the beach at high noon instead of a joy stick and external buttons that even light up and allow you to turn on night view for low light situations. If money or battery life is not an issue maybe the SL2 is your secret weapon. Lumix however gives you an experience that can let you shoot the last song of the night because the battery is bigger. I want to be able to fly all over the canvas with all my film tools. The SL2 feels more like a robot that want to drive you home from yoga class. The S1r Its key strength is its (Portrait) color depth: at 26.4 bits at base, it is the joint second-best result for a full-frame sensor. Maybe if the SL2 could make my coffee and order dinner I would feel different. Maybe also read this f-stoppers article below to help you under stand what I am saying.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/how-i-broke-new-leica-sl2-and-why-i-think-its-amazing-425622

ncsakany

MirrorlessFrame wrote:

Yes the S1r is absolutely better than the Leica SL2. Due to the smaller design, the SL2 has a smaller battery than the Panasonic S1H and S1R which have similar video specs.

S1R and S1H having similar video specs is kinda stretching the reality, don't you think?

MirrorlessFrame wrote:

So yeah I think the S1r is gonna live longer like a fine classic Mercedes while this SL2 Tesla is gonna burn out from getting pushed way too hard.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/how-i-broke-new-leica-sl2-and-why-i-think-its-amazing-425622

Funny! 😀 However, your car analogy is a bit misplaced as Leica is made in Germany and Panasonic in Japan. I would rather say that Leicas are like Mercedes and Panasonic like Toyota. Both excellent vehicles, but there is a profound difference after all 😊

LuxShots
LuxShots Contributing Member • Posts: 820

MirrorlessFrame wrote:

Yes the S1r is absolutely better than the Leica SL2. Due to the smaller design, the SL2 has a smaller battery than the Panasonic S1H and S1R which have similar video specs.

This statement right here sent every little bit of credibility you had straight out the window.

Here are just the differences I can think of of off the top of my head:

• No ProRes RAW.
  • No ALL-I.
  • No Active Cooling for extended recording times.
  • No Anamorphic support.
  • Line Skipped 4K.
  • Deep Crop or Line Skipped on 4K 60.
  • No V-Log profile.
 LuxShots's gear list:LuxShots's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic S1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +8 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 45,087
Pax Vobiscus

We have managed very well to avoid Panasonic - Leica wars so far on this forum.

I hope that this will continue.

Everyone knows that the Leica is a superior camera and that Panasonic is pretty good at everything. Do we need to know more?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

LuxShots
LuxShots Contributing Member • Posts: 820
Red Dot Syndrome

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Everyone knows that the Leica is a superior camera and that Panasonic is pretty good at everything. Do we need to know more?

This is subjective.

I distinctly remember in Marketing 101, that people would gladly pay more for equal or lesser quality, if the brand was perceived to be "better". This is more of an experiment in psychology that anything else. The memory of when Leica's hand ground glass and glass woven shutters are things of legend. Regardless, to believe hand assembly by some artisan relic can produce the same consistency of modern automation, is well, a pure fantasy.

The same memory lingers with the Range Rover. A brand that has a loyal following, although consumer reports and a simple Google search will reveal that the quality has consistently been a disappointment.

At this point in time, a Leica vs. Panasonic is akin to a Buick vs. Oldsmobile.

So until a complete, through and unbiased review between, say Panny's and Leica's 45ishMP cameras, the difference between the two is purely emotion. Panny continues to acquire patents, while Leica acquires Lenny Kravtiz to drive home the emotional response.

The lightness in your wallet is blinded by that red dot badge that screams to the world your membership in a small group of those like-minded.

And that's okay.

Not necessarily superior, but okay nonetheless.

LuxShots's gear list:LuxShots's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic S1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +8 more
Jared Willson Senior Member • Posts: 1,447
Re: Red Dot Syndrome

LuxShots wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

This is subjective.

I distinctly remember in Marketing 101, that people would gladly pay more for equal or lesser quality, if the brand was perceived to be "better". This is more of an experiment in psychology that anything else. The memory of when Leica's hand ground glass and glass woven shutters are things of legend. Regardless, to believe hand assembly by some artisan relic can produce the same consistency of modern automation, is well, a pure fantasy.

The same memory lingers with the Range Rover. A brand that has a loyal following, although consumer reports and a simple Google search will reveal that the quality has consistently been a disappointment.

At this point in time, a Leica vs. Panasonic is akin to a Buick vs. Oldsmobile.

So until a complete, through and unbiased review between, say Panny's and Leica's 45ishMP cameras, the difference between the two is purely emotion. Panny continues to acquire patents, while Leica acquires Lenny Kravtiz to drive home the emotional response.

The lightness in your wallet is blinded by that red dot badge that screams to the world your membership in a small group of those like-minded.

And that's okay.

Not necessarily superior, but okay nonetheless.

There is a great deal of shared technology between the two cameras, actually, so I’d be really surprised if one found a major difference in terms of their capabilities. Same sensor, similar video specs, similar AF systems, similar viewfinders (though with different implementations of some features like manual focus zoom). I’m not aware of any evidence that either is a “higher quality” design, more durable, more reliable, or more bug free.

The major difference, aside from the price, is in the ergonomics and controls. Leica favors minimalist physical controls and a very elegant menu system. Panasonic favors dedicated buttons over the touchscreen. An accomplished photographer could reasonably prefer either approach. The cameras feel very different in the hand. Again, any given person might prefer either.

I am a big fan of Leica’s approach to modern camera controls. Others may disagree. That’s fine. Certainly, there is a price premium to Leica cameras with little if anything that would show on a spec sheet to justify that premium. The lenses? I’d argue Leica still has a few tricks there that others have not matched (probably because they’d have to charge Leica type prices), but the differences are small. The 35mm Summicron SL, for example, is perceptibly better than any other lens I have ever shot with at that focal length. Much better? No. But it’s definitely there.

Most modern brands sell their products with a combination of features, price, and image. That applies just as much to Panasonic, Sony, Nikon, and Fuji as it does to Leica.

Jared Willson's gear list:Jared Willson's gear list
Leica Q2 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica SL2 Leica SL 90-280mm F2.8–4 Hasselblad XCD 30mm F3.5 +8 more

The S1r has a 26.4 color bit depth and the S1h is only 14bit. How is this similar? Anata wa omoshiroi! 

Re: Pax Vobiscus

Leica does not yet have a camera that competes with the  S1r. If they did I would own it. Canon would have never existed without Nikon technology and Panasonic would not have surpassed everyone else without Leica glass. Not Leica Technology.

ncsakany

MirrorlessFrame wrote:

The S1r has a 26.4 color bit depth and the S1h is only 14bit. How is this similar? Anata wa omoshiroi!

English, please, if you have something to say.

Symple Contributing Member • Posts: 604

Agreed, now.  I really disliked the S1R to start and MUCH preferred the VLOG equipped S1 instead.  Now months later I have realized there is nothing like the S1R and have two as my primary tools with an S1 as backup along.

I still use two GH5 bodies and a G9 all with VLOG, but these are specific tools used with Metabones speedboosters and Sigma ART primes.  The S1R has the most peculiar look in 4k60, people love it, and I now have enough experience across a spectrum of situations to agree that the S1R is the most remarkable camera I have yet to use in terms of capabilities.  I use a range of accessories from an Atomos V to Ronin S and ROde NTG-3 mics on the XLR adapter to come up with range of video and sound that is so completely different from the GH5/S1 output that I continually engaged with the potential of this system.

It is funny to think a few months ago I was ready to give this camera away pretty much only to acquire a second one just the other week.  I am really pleased with the announcement of attention to the firmware opportunities by year-end, and in the interim I am committing to learning how to use this camera that I so quickly dismissed as a gimmick product to have market visibility.

The GH6 will be out shortly with the new battery style and a global shutter, and I don't see myself continuing with another camera product beyond the S1R and Sigma FP.  If not for the VLOG compatibility I would happily trade my S1 towards another S1R body, but I suspect there will be renewed interest in the camera that until very recently has been selling for $1,600 though outlets like Adorama and B&H as 'refurbished' units - soon to be in high demand when the new firmware lands.

Symple's gear list:Symple's gear list
Panasonic S1 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM +12 more

MirrorlessFrame wrote:

Wow, 26.4 color bit depth, that is really amazing. Do you have a reference for that info?

ncsakany

Autoxave wrote:

MirrorlessFrame wrote:

Wow, 26.4 color bit depth, that is really amazing. Do you have a reference for that info?

He's out of his element, really has no clue what he's talking about. 14-bit is the raw file, 26.4 bit is the portait color bit depth from dxomark.

I am completely excited for your future with the S1r and I think if others like us can help the DSLR community understand what is actually going on with these camera's instead of riding the Sony or Leica marketing wave. Eventually I think Lumix will be able to expand and offer many alternatives to creating the best images and work flow for our future if we can explore why and who this camera was made for in the first place. Thanks for sharing your words!

FredInMN1 Contributing Member • Posts: 824

My S1R says 'Made in China'.

FredInMN1's gear list:FredInMN1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony DSC-RX0 Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads