Nikon, That S5 is Tempting... Where Are The Lenses? Locked

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
MrALLCAPS
MrALLCAPS Senior Member • Posts: 1,975
Nikon, That S5 is Tempting... Where Are The Lenses?

I'm not a fan of flippy screens, but other than that, the Lumix S5 is looking good. I'm only 2 lenses in with my Z6 and I'm waiting on the 40mm Pancake.

Nikon needs to give us a little more clarity in regards to the upcoming lenses. They put the 40mm on the roadmap long ago, nothing further than that. They announce a new camera and suprise us with a new unannounced kit zoom. Where are the lenses that are on the roadmap??

If Panasonic beats them to the 40mm pancake, that just might sway me to go over. Nikon better hope they don't announce one this week.

MrALLCAPS's gear list:MrALLCAPS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,048
Re: Nikon, That S5 is Tempting... Where Are The Lenses?

MrALLCAPS wrote:

I'm not a fan of flippy screens, but other than that, the Lumix S5 is looking good. I'm only 2 lenses in with my Z6 and I'm waiting on the 40mm Pancake.

Nikon needs to give us a little more clarity in regards to the upcoming lenses. They put the 40mm on the roadmap long ago, nothing further than that. They announce a new camera and suprise us with a new unannounced kit zoom. Where are the lenses that are on the roadmap??

If Panasonic beats them to the 40mm pancake, that just might sway me to go over. Nikon better hope they don't announce one this week.

Nikon put the 40mm "compact lens" on the roadmap about a year ago, and they clearly specified that those lenses on the 2019 roadmap were all scheduled to be released before the end of 2021. (Of course some of them were already available at that time.)

I am afraid that you will not get any more precise information other than availability by the end of 2021. In fact, due to Covid-19 and the poor economy, I kind of doubt that Nikon will be able to 100% meet their current roadmap in its entirety by December 2021. Within 2020, a lot of new Nikon lenses seem to be arriving slowly and behind schedule.

If one 40mm pancake lens can sway you to completely switch to a different mount, I suggest you to go ahead and purchase the Panasonic S5. I would imagine Panasonic FX bodies are also nice, and you'll have plenty of Sigma lenses to choose from. However, I don't think the L mount is as popular the Z mount, which is in turn behind Sony E and Canon RF. In other words, you will end up with a mount that has a very limited used market, to buy from and sell to, as well as rental market.

In the mean time, if you don't already have it, the  excellent 50mm/f1.8 S may be a close substitute.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,114

If you are not happy with what you've got, maybe time for a change?

I try to focus more on getting the most out of the gear I have and worrying less about what will or will not be coming next. The latter is a a never-ending tail chase IMO.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,048

j_photo wrote:

I try to focus more on getting the most out of the gear I have and worrying less about what will or will not be coming next. The latter is a a never-ending tail chase IMO.

Excellent point. You said it much better than I could.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
Currantos Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
Adapter?

Get that pancake and put it on the adapter and use it on the Z.

The Z can take all possible lenses with adapters. It's like the universal mount at this point.

You get to use whatever lenses you like with the Z cameras, it's kind of a hidden benefit for lens aficionados that really isn't discussed much.

Just a thought

MrALLCAPS
OP MrALLCAPS Senior Member • Posts: 1,975

shuncheung wrote:

MrALLCAPS wrote:

Nikon put the 40mm "compact lens" on the roadmap about a year ago, and they clearly specified that those lenses on the 2019 roadmap were all scheduled to be released before the end of 2021. (Of course some of them were already available at that time.)

I thought the 28mm and the 40mm was a 2020 release?

I am afraid that you will not get any more precise information other than availability by the end of 2021. In fact, due to Covid-19 and the poor economy, I kind of doubt that Nikon will be able to 100% meet their current roadmap in its entirety by December 2021. Within 2020, a lot of new Nikon lenses seem to be arriving slowly and behind schedule.

That may be true, but they unexpectedly released a lens not on the roadmap.

If one 40mm pancake lens can sway you to completely switch to a different mount, I suggest you to go ahead and purchase the Panasonic S5. I would imagine Panasonic FX bodies are also nice, and you'll have plenty of Sigma lenses to choose from. However, I don't think the L mount is as popular the Z mount, which is in turn behind Sony E and Canon RF. In other words, you will end up with a mount that has a very limited used market, to buy from and sell to, as well as rental market.

Trust me, Im tempted, but the FAS is a deterrent. We'll see what it's about when it finally releases.

In the mean time, if you don't already have it, the excellent 50mm/f1.8 S may be a close substitute.

I have it, but my favorite focal length is the 40mm.

daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,835

j_photo wrote:

If you are not happy with what you've got, maybe time for a change?

He isn't happy with anything he has. Been spreading his dislike for Olympus and m43 in general for a long time. Now he is over here doing same. Canon could send him their latest 2 bodies and all their new lenses and he'd complain about not getting a backpack.

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN-F Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +4 more
MrALLCAPS
Re: Adapter?

Currantos wrote:

Get that pancake and put it on the adapter and use it on the Z.

The Z can take all possible lenses with adapters. It's like the universal mount at this point.

You get to use whatever lenses you like with the Z cameras, it's kind of a hidden benefit for lens aficionados that really isn't discussed much.

Just a thought

I was thinking about that. I seen a thin Sony adapter and I was looking at the Voitlander 40mm f/1.4(?) But I didn't hear anything positive about that adapter.

z2122
z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,400

Nikon Z System is a ver good system with a excellent lenses (some say the lenses are on Zeiss level - the Zoom lenses have a quality of f-mount primes). And they are all reasonable priced - so I will stay in that system . Currently with Z6, 24-70f4, 14-30 f4 and some f-mount lenses. I will see if I get the 100-400 or the 70-200+the perfect TCs .

-- hide signature --

catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 689

Reading through the previews, I’m not sure what an S5 would do for you that a Z6 doesn’t already? Seems fairly comparable IQ-wise (in photos at least), but fewer fps and no PDAF.

Given the new Panasonic L-mount Roadmap released today, I wouldn’t expect a compact prime from Panasonic any time soon. Of course, Sigma has the well-reviewed 45mm f/2.8 already on the market, so unless that extra 5mm of reach (or 5 degrees of field of view) is a huge deal, maybe you’re already covered with an S5? I doubt the Z 40mm will be any smaller than the Sigma, based on Nikon’s roadmap image, and if it’s brighter than f/2.8, I’ll be (pleasantly) surprised.

You might want to wait for the Sony A7c announcement, since they’re supposed to also announce a line of compact lenses with it, and there are a bunch of Samyang/Rokinon compact primes already.

MrALLCAPS

Rohith Thumati wrote:

Reading through the previews, I’m not sure what an S5 would do for you that a Z6 doesn’t already? Seems fairly comparable IQ-wise (in photos at least), but fewer fps and no PDAF.

Given the new Panasonic L-mount Roadmap released today, I wouldn’t expect a compact prime from Panasonic any time soon. Of course, Sigma has the well-reviewed 45mm f/2.8 already on the market, so unless that extra 5mm of reach (or 5 degrees of field of view) is a huge deal, maybe you’re already covered with an S5? I doubt the Z 40mm will be any smaller than the Sigma, based on Nikon’s roadmap image, and if it’s brighter than f/2.8, I’ll be (pleasantly) surprised.

You might want to wait for the Sony A7c announcement, since they’re supposed to also announce a line of compact lenses with it, and there are a bunch of Samyang/Rokinon compact primes already.

Buying a Sony is not on my radar at all. They acually have two 40mm's but I refuse to buy Any Sony product fir my own reasons.

ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,067

MrALLCAPS wrote:

After reading similar posts on the various systems and current developments, now reading this brings home just how important it is that Nikon move with alacrity fully to the mirrorless format, with lenses etc.

Mirrored dslr's are generally finished in the market going forward.

It really appears that Nikon needs to pivot to full mirrorless systems swiftly. The costs of the mirrored systems will weigh the company  down, saddle them with costs that such as Sony and Panasonic do not have.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,890

ImageAmateur wrote:

After reading similar posts on the various systems and current developments, now reading this brings home just how important it is that Nikon move with alacrity fully to the mirrorless format, with lenses etc.

It really appears that Nikon needs to pivot to full mirrorless systems swiftly. The costs of the mirrored systems will weigh the company down, saddle them with costs that such as Sony and Panasonic do not have.

(CIPA) In Jan-July, 1,146,277 DSLRs were shipped, with a value of 49,320,375,000 yen, Nikon can't afford to give their DSLR business to Canon.

ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,067

justmeMN wrote:

ImageAmateur wrote:

It really appears that Nikon needs to pivot to full mirrorless systems swiftly. The costs of the mirrored systems will weigh the company down, saddle them with costs that such as Sony and Panasonic do not have.

(CIPA) In Jan-July, 1,146,277 DSLRs were shipped, with a value of 49,320,375,000 yen, Nikon can't afford to give their DSLR business to Canon.

Those DSLR's could as well be mirrorless. There will be a point at which a large drop off will occur. Maybe I am incorrectly estimating the timeline.

There is another facet of the discussion.

It is clear that Sigma and Tamron are enjoying significant profits in lenses from the F Mount. Also, generally reviewers are saying that the Z mount lenses are better than their F Mount counterparts.

Maybe it makes sense to end the selling of F Mount bodies and giving away the jam? i.e. change the playing field.

Just a thought.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,911

MrALLCAPS wrote:

the Lumix S5 is looking good.

The S5 - just announced but not delivered - looks very good - for advanced video shooters.

When you asked "where are the lenses" - I assumed you were asking about the lack of a wide range of L mount lenses 

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843

shuncheung wrote:

I would imagine Panasonic FX bodies are also nice, and you'll have plenty of Sigma lenses to choose from. However, I don't think the L mount is as popular the Z mount, which is in turn behind Sony E and Canon RF. In other words, you will end up with a mount that has a very limited used market, to buy from and sell to, as well as rental market.

True. On the other hand, the currently available lens selection for the L mount is greater than the Z mount, which has fewer lenses than the other FF mirrorless mounts (EF, R, and L). Sigma and Panasonic both support it. So does Leica of course, if you don't mind paying > $5000 for a lens.

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
P Harg Forum Member • Posts: 86

I doubt the autofocus on the S5 is up to that of the Nikon Z cameras.

And Nikon keeps improving the Z series with lots of firmare updates.

Why not just use your Z6?

I can't see any reason to change at all.

-- hide signature --

Peter

rubank Senior Member • Posts: 1,203

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

MrALLCAPS wrote:

the Lumix S5 is looking good.

The S5 - just announced but not delivered - looks very good - for advanced video shooters.

When you asked "where are the lenses" - I assumed you were asking about the lack of a wide range of L mount lenses

Sigma is part of the L-mount alliance, and their lenses included there´s c:a 20 L-mount lenses ranging from 14-400 mm. And they are all excellent.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,489
Nikon gets blasted on Z mount Lens regularly.

And quite undeserved. They have put together a large collection of high quality glass in s very short time, far faster than any other brand. There new mount has also been opened to other brands through a large selection of adapters, plus Nikon has the excellent FTZ. Plus a decent updated road map.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 8,323

MrALLCAPS wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

I thought the 28mm and the 40mm was a 2020 release?

These are strange times indeed, but last time I checked, 2020 was still "before the end of 2021".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads