Canon RF 85mm f1.2 (non-DS) vs. other 85mm/105mm/135mm lenses? (Sony GM)

Started 8 months ago | Questions
AlphaPhotography
AlphaPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,972
Canon RF 85mm f1.2 (non-DS) vs. other 85mm/105mm/135mm lenses? (Sony GM)

Any previous Sony shooters compared the RF Canon 85mm f1.2 against some other top portrait glass? (Sony 85mm f1.4 GM, Sigma 105mm f1.4, Sony 135mm GM)

I’m currently shooting portraits with the Sony 135mm f1.8 GM on the A7RIV which is an astonishingly good combo. The sharpness/colors/etc are probably the best I’ve ever seen but I’ve heard great things about the RF lenses and would love to see how some of them compare against other manufacturer’s offerings

(I also own an R5 and A9II so I’m trying to decide which system to invest more into)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JayPhoto1 Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: Canon RF 85mm f1.2 (non-DS) vs. other 85mm/105mm/135mm lenses? (Sony GM)

Currently going through a similar situation where I’m looking to move from my XT4/A7R4 combo to the R5 for both stills and video.  I just cannot find a suitable replacement for the GM 135mm. I’m tempted to go with the RF 85mm f1.2 and be done with it.  The EF 135 f2 is a good lens but anyone who has shot the GM will tell it is indeed special.

JayPhoto1's gear list:JayPhoto1's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sony a7S III Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +7 more
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,505

AlphaPhotography wrote:

Any previous Sony shooters compared the RF Canon 85mm f1.2 against some other top portrait glass? (Sony 85mm f1.4 GM, Sigma 105mm f1.4, Sony 135mm GM)

I’m currently shooting portraits with the Sony 135mm f1.8 GM on the A7RIV which is an astonishingly good combo. The sharpness/colors/etc are probably the best I’ve ever seen but I’ve heard great things about the RF lenses and would love to see how some of them compare against other manufacturer’s offerings

(I also own an R5 and A9II so I’m trying to decide which system to invest more into)

I'm really interested in this too.

I run an A7Riv with the 135mm GM and the sigma 35mm 1.2, two great lenses.

I haven't quite fallen in love with the A7Riv though - I find it a bit noisy and lacking detail as soon as you move off base ISO (where it is fantastic)

I am a portrait shooter, some very occasional event work - I'd like to go to the R5 and 85mm 1.2, but aside from supply issues, it is still too expensive at the moment.  I am weighing up whether to pick up the 85mm and maybe the RF 35mm along with the older Eos R body and use my money to invest in the great lens now with a view to upgrade the body next year.

I am seeing lots of people upgrading through the canon range, but not many moving from Sony to Canon Mirrorless, perhaps for obvious reasons to date.  I'd love to see some side by side comparison between the 135 GM and the RF 85 1.2, but it's not an obvious comparison at the different FL, so I can't find examples

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 RF Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM +1 more
AlphaPhotography
OP AlphaPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,972

MattPointZero wrote:

AlphaPhotography wrote:

I'm really interested in this too.

I run an A7Riv with the 135mm GM and the sigma 35mm 1.2, two great lenses.

I haven't quite fallen in love with the A7Riv though - I find it a bit noisy and lacking detail as soon as you move off base ISO (where it is fantastic)

I am a portrait shooter, some very occasional event work - I'd like to go to the R5 and 85mm 1.2, but aside from supply issues, it is still too expensive at the moment. I am weighing up whether to pick up the 85mm and maybe the RF 35mm along with the older Eos R body and use my money to invest in the great lens now with a view to upgrade the body next year.

I am seeing lots of people upgrading through the canon range, but not many moving from Sony to Canon Mirrorless, perhaps for obvious reasons to date. I'd love to see some side by side comparison between the 135 GM and the RF 85 1.2, but it's not an obvious comparison at the different FL, so I can't find examples

The Sigma 35mm f1.2 is the next lens I was planning on getting but after using the R5 I may wait for a Canon RF 35mm f1.2. In fact I may sell my A7RIV and then decide whether to keep my A9II that I just picked up or the R5. I feel the same way as you about the A7RIV after using the R5/A9II. High ISO performance isn't great on the A7RIV and it's sluggish in COMPARISON with a much louder shutter and worse AF.

It feels silly to have two systems but I have the A7SIII on pre-order specifically for reliable video and I've been loving the R5 for photos.

Patlezinc Regular Member • Posts: 416

I am not a Sony shooter but I own the RF. I find the 85mm focal lenght more flexible, but it is also a personal taste at the end.

Anyway you can’t go wrong with the RF. It is the best lense I have ever had. It is a real 85 (I compared with the Art and a close distance there is a real difference in bokeh, because of the 1.2 and because the Art is probably a 81mm or something like this).

We reach very high image quality nowadays. The RF 85 is a unique lense, but you can surely take great pictures with both systems.

-- hide signature --
 Patlezinc's gear list:Patlezinc's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
Jeff108 Regular Member • Posts: 141

I’m  a Sony portrait shooter (A7Riv) and I’m gonna get an R5.  The RF glass seems very intriguing.  On the Sony end I was never a fan of the 85GM.  I’m not surprised that in all the new reviews that I’ve seen, the new Sigma 85 seems to universally outclass the GM.  The Canon RF 85mm seems be have been reviewed well.  The Sony 135GM is great and at the moment Canon doesn’t have an answer on the RF level.

The Canon 50mm RF 1.2 looks amazing as well as the 70-200.  The Sony 70-200 GM , is the worst GM in the lot.  It’s a weakness in the Sony lineup.  In the 50mm range Sony has the 55mm and the 50  1.4.  I have the 55, it’s a nice lens but I wouldn’t put it in the special category .

Im gonna start with the RF 85mm and the 70-200

Jeff108's gear list:Jeff108's gear list
Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Canon EOS R5 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +2 more
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,505

Jeff108 wrote:

I’m a Sony portrait shooter (A7Riv) and I’m gonna get an R5. The RF glass seems very intriguing. On the Sony end I was never a fan of the 85GM. I’m not surprised that in all the new reviews that I’ve seen, the new Sigma 85 seems to universally outclass the GM. The Canon RF 85mm seems be have been reviewed well. The Sony 135GM is great and at the moment Canon doesn’t have an answer on the RF level.

The Canon 50mm RF 1.2 looks amazing as well as the 70-200. The Sony 70-200 GM , is the worst GM in the lot. It’s a weakness in the Sony lineup. In the 50mm range Sony has the 55mm and the 50 1.4. I have the 55, it’s a nice lens but I wouldn’t put it in the special category .

Jeff

Nice to not feel out on a limb on my own - I just ordered the R5 and 85mm 1.2 this morning.

I completely agree about the 85mm GM, I was never that impressed, which is why I have had the 135mm GM - but I am also being driven largely by the RF glass.

Big decision, the sony kit is undeniably great, I am hoping this is a good move nonetheless!

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 RF Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM +1 more
jay jay02
jay jay02 Contributing Member • Posts: 548

MattPointZero wrote:

Jeff108 wrote:

I’m a Sony portrait shooter (A7Riv) and I’m gonna get an R5. The RF glass seems very intriguing. On the Sony end I was never a fan of the 85GM. I’m not surprised that in all the new reviews that I’ve seen, the new Sigma 85 seems to universally outclass the GM. The Canon RF 85mm seems be have been reviewed well. The Sony 135GM is great and at the moment Canon doesn’t have an answer on the RF level.

The Canon 50mm RF 1.2 looks amazing as well as the 70-200. The Sony 70-200 GM , is the worst GM in the lot. It’s a weakness in the Sony lineup. In the 50mm range Sony has the 55mm and the 50 1.4. I have the 55, it’s a nice lens but I wouldn’t put it in the special category .

Jeff

Nice to not feel out on a limb on my own - I just ordered the R5 and 85mm 1.2 this morning.

I completely agree about the 85mm GM, I was never that impressed, which is why I have had the 135mm GM - but I am also being driven largely by the RF glass.

Big decision, the sony kit is undeniably great, I am hoping this is a good move nonetheless!

I was blown away with the quality of the files from the RF 70-200 2.8, it's a masterpiece!

Patlezinc Regular Member • Posts: 416

« Jeff

Nice to not feel out on a limb on my own - I just ordered the R5 and 85mm 1.2 this morning »

Time to say congratulations 😅😳

-- hide signature --
 Patlezinc's gear list:Patlezinc's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
Noah M Regular Member • Posts: 128
85 and 135 are different

Patlezinc wrote:

I am not a Sony shooter but I own the RF. I find the 85mm focal lenght more flexible, but it is also a personal taste at the end.

Anyway you can’t go wrong with the RF. It is the best lense I have ever had. It is a real 85 (I compared with the Art and a close distance there is a real difference in bokeh, because of the 1.2 and because the Art is probably a 81mm or something like this).

We reach very high image quality nowadays. The RF 85 is a unique lense, but you can surely take great pictures with both systems.

With the 135mm you need some extra distance to get the same framing.  It will flatten faces and the image more too if you like that.  I don't like going too far over 100mm for portraits and I don't like 50mm and under either (faces too round).  85mm has always been the sweet spot for me.

If you want that occasional 135mm look, you can crop the 85mm image too.  It won't be the same, but it works pretty well.   You can't go the other way though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads