Slow boot

Started 8 months ago | Questions
teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Slow boot

What's the slowest ever Win 10 boot from an SSD you've ever heard of?

I am running Win 10 on a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500) and the boot time is getting longer and longer. Normally I don't worry about it because I boot up once a day, then things are pretty much ok afterwards. When I timed the boot process its like: mobo splash screen set to about 4-5 seconds, blue Windows logo with spinning dots 145 seconds, welcome screen 2-3 seconds, then desktop.

There are 4 apps such as Zone Alarm I allowed to startup with Windows, but task manager shows 29 background processes and 82 Windows processes, plus minus a few from boot to boot. Do these numbers look normal? I do have some photo-editing apps and some utility apps installed but none are set to start up with Windows.

I tried disabling all apps from startup, disconnecting all data drives (HDD) and leaving only the boot drive (SSD, 19% used), and even tried a clean boot. Made no diffrence. Sequential read/write from CrystalDisk Mark is 555.2/497.7 so that looks fine. My other Win 10 laptop takes 3-4 seconds to go from blue Windows logo to Welcome screen, then 1-2 seconds to get to desktop, and that is with an older and slower Mushkin SSD.

What could be holding up the boot process? How do I remove unnecessary processes and/or services? I hope I don't have to wipe the drive and reinstall everything just to get rid of some unknown culprit.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,958
Re: Slow boot
1

teddyboy wrote:

What's the slowest ever Win 10 boot from an SSD you've ever heard of?

I am running Win 10 on a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500) and the boot time is getting longer and longer. Normally I don't worry about it because I boot up once a day, then things are pretty much ok afterwards. When I timed the boot process its like: mobo splash screen set to about 4-5 seconds, blue Windows logo with spinning dots 145 seconds, welcome screen 2-3 seconds, then desktop.

For me: 14 secs to see the motherboard splash screen (it's a home-build system, and Asus motherboards seem to take about that long unless you tell it to suppress most of the start-up checks), then it's 23 secs before the Windows whirling dots appear and a total of 33 secs before the login screen appears.

There are 4 apps such as Zone Alarm I allowed to startup with Windows, but task manager shows 29 background processes and 82 Windows processes, plus minus a few from boot to boot. Do these numbers look normal? I do have some photo-editing apps and some utility apps installed but none are set to start up with Windows.

Your 145 secs appears really excessive. I doubt it's startup tasks, as most of them don't start until you log in. I've just rebooted and started browser and email, and I have 44 background processes and 94 Windows processes.

I tried disabling all apps from startup, disconnecting all data drives (HDD) and leaving only the boot drive (SSD, 19% used), and even tried a clean boot. Made no diffrence. Sequential read/write from CrystalDisk Mark is 555.2/497.7 so that looks fine. My other Win 10 laptop takes 3-4 seconds to go from blue Windows logo to Welcome screen, then 1-2 seconds to get to desktop, and that is with an older and slower Mushkin SSD.

What could be holding up the boot process? How do I remove unnecessary processes and/or services? I hope I don't have to wipe the drive and reinstall everything just to get rid of some unknown culprit.

Not knowing your hardware or software configuration I can only guess:

  • BIOS/UEFI settings: Try booting into the BIOS, make a note of current settings (if there's an option to save settings do that) and then find the "restore factory settings" option.
  • Hardware: I know you've disconnected all drives except C, try reseating memory, PCIe cards, power leads and any other physical connector (including the C drive). When I recently built a new system, the C drive, which is an M.2 drive was not seated in the connector properly. It looks OK, it worked, but very slowly. Weird!
  • Software: incompatible driver combination. If boot has got slower, try rolling back drivers. Device Manager, go through hardware devices, right-click -> properties -> driver, and if the Roll Back option is not greyed out (which means no previous driver) then try rolling back. If that doesn't help, then try checking for new drivers.
  • Windows: run a command prompt as administrator and do "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) and then "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" to look for problems

Then consider a windows rebuild.  Ignore the rest if you're familiar with rebuilding Windows! Download w10 to an ISO file or thumb drive (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and follow the "Create Windows 10 installation media" bit).  Do a clean build, reformatting C.  Obviously, save everything first!  Use (e.g.) Macrium Reflect to save the complete C image, then make sure you've backed up all your files, and go through everything in c:\users\yourname to make sure you have saved everything you might want.  Make sure you have all program installation files/disks/URLs and licences.  A good way of recording what you have installed is Belarc Advisor, free version at https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor .

-- hide signature --

Simon

 Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,958
Re: Slow boot
2

Simon Garrett wrote:

teddyboy wrote:

What's the slowest ever Win 10 boot from an SSD you've ever heard of?

I am running Win 10 on a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500) and the boot time is getting longer and longer. Normally I don't worry about it because I boot up once a day, then things are pretty much ok afterwards. When I timed the boot process its like: mobo splash screen set to about 4-5 seconds, blue Windows logo with spinning dots 145 seconds, welcome screen 2-3 seconds, then desktop.

For me: 14 secs to see the motherboard splash screen (it's a home-build system, and Asus motherboards seem to take about that long unless you tell it to suppress most of the start-up checks), then it's 23 secs before the Windows whirling dots appear and a total of 33 secs before the login screen appears.

There are 4 apps such as Zone Alarm I allowed to startup with Windows, but task manager shows 29 background processes and 82 Windows processes, plus minus a few from boot to boot. Do these numbers look normal? I do have some photo-editing apps and some utility apps installed but none are set to start up with Windows.

Your 145 secs appears really excessive. I doubt it's startup tasks, as most of them don't start until you log in. I've just rebooted and started browser and email, and I have 44 background processes and 94 Windows processes.

I tried disabling all apps from startup, disconnecting all data drives (HDD) and leaving only the boot drive (SSD, 19% used), and even tried a clean boot. Made no diffrence. Sequential read/write from CrystalDisk Mark is 555.2/497.7 so that looks fine. My other Win 10 laptop takes 3-4 seconds to go from blue Windows logo to Welcome screen, then 1-2 seconds to get to desktop, and that is with an older and slower Mushkin SSD.

What could be holding up the boot process? How do I remove unnecessary processes and/or services? I hope I don't have to wipe the drive and reinstall everything just to get rid of some unknown culprit.

Not knowing your hardware or software configuration I can only guess:

  • BIOS/UEFI settings: Try booting into the BIOS, make a note of current settings (if there's an option to save settings do that) and then find the "restore factory settings" option.
  • Hardware: I know you've disconnected all drives except C, try reseating memory, PCIe cards, power leads and any other physical connector (including the C drive). When I recently built a new system, the C drive, which is an M.2 drive was not seated in the connector properly. It looks OK, it worked, but very slowly. Weird!
  • Software: incompatible driver combination. If boot has got slower, try rolling back drivers. Device Manager, go through hardware devices, right-click -> properties -> driver, and if the Roll Back option is not greyed out (which means no previous driver) then try rolling back. If that doesn't help, then try checking for new drivers.
  • Windows: run a command prompt as administrator and do "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) and then "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" to look for problems

Then consider a windows rebuild. Ignore the rest if you're familiar with rebuilding Windows! Download w10 to an ISO file or thumb drive (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and follow the "Create Windows 10 installation media" bit). Do a clean build, reformatting C. Obviously, save everything first! Use (e.g.) Macrium Reflect to save the complete C image, then make sure you've backed up all your files, and go through everything in c:\users\yourname to make sure you have saved everything you might want. Make sure you have all program installation files/disks/URLs and licences. A good way of recording what you have installed is Belarc Advisor, free version at https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor .

PS - the most obvious problem is something wrong with the Crucial SSD.  Is there a diagnostic from Crucial you can run?  Check the driver is the right one.  Check BIOS settings that relate to the drive.

-- hide signature --

Simon

 Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,568
Re: Slow boot
1

teddyboy wrote:

What's the slowest ever Win 10 boot from an SSD you've ever heard of?

I am running Win 10 on a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500) and the boot time is getting longer and longer. Normally I don't worry about it because I boot up once a day, then things are pretty much ok afterwards. When I timed the boot process its like: mobo splash screen set to about 4-5 seconds, blue Windows logo with spinning dots 145 seconds, welcome screen 2-3 seconds, then desktop.

There are 4 apps such as Zone Alarm I allowed to startup with Windows, but task manager shows 29 background processes and 82 Windows processes, plus minus a few from boot to boot. Do these numbers look normal? I do have some photo-editing apps and some utility apps installed but none are set to start up with Windows.

I tried disabling all apps from startup, disconnecting all data drives (HDD) and leaving only the boot drive (SSD, 19% used), and even tried a clean boot. Made no diffrence. Sequential read/write from CrystalDisk Mark is 555.2/497.7 so that looks fine. My other Win 10 laptop takes 3-4 seconds to go from blue Windows logo to Welcome screen, then 1-2 seconds to get to desktop, and that is with an older and slower Mushkin SSD.

What could be holding up the boot process? How do I remove unnecessary processes and/or services? I hope I don't have to wipe the drive and reinstall everything just to get rid of some unknown culprit.

My older SSD laptop takes 20 seconds to desktop, including the log-in process and initialising the scanner. A newer laptop with faster SSD interface does it all in 15 seconds.

I have disabled a few start-ups, but they weren't causing a problem.

Have you checked for malware? Use MalWareBytes (trial version).

I'd suggest re-installing Windows on a new SSD.

 WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,882
Re: Slow boot
1

Did you run CHKDSK C: /r, and let check during reboot? You might have to do it more than once until no errors show up in the Event Viewer log.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Fujifilm XP80 Canon EOS 500D +1 more
Hosebag
Hosebag Senior Member • Posts: 2,487
Re: Slow boot

I had zone alarm once. Had.

One day I had no internet and so I called my ISP and we finally figured out that zone alarm had me so cut off that the cable company thought I didn't exist so they shut me off. Maybe try turning zone alarm off from startup and see what happens.

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot

I tried Malwarebytes and it found several bitcoin miners. Don't know how they got here but I quarantined them. Will see if that helps. Thanks.

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot
1

Did that and saw a whole lot if Event IDs listed. Will have to figure out what those mean.

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot

I tried turning off Zone Alarm and not let it start with boot, but this made no difference.

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot

I keep getting server error replying to your post. I will break down my message to see if it gets through:

My CPU is core i5 2500k and its integrated graphics HD3000 is not supported by Windows 10. Currently I am using driver version 9.17.10.4459 provided by Windows Update.

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot

Other things I've done:

sfc /scannow: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot

Also:

Crucail Storage Executive: Good health, latest firmware installed. Best driver installed (version 10.0.18362.1 2006-06-21).

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot

And:

dism/ScanHealth: No component store corruption detected.

Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,882
Re: Slow boot

teddyboy wrote:

Did that and saw a whole lot if Event IDs listed. Will have to figure out what those mean.

There will only be 1 event viewer entry for CHKDSK, and it will show the results.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Fujifilm XP80 Canon EOS 500D +1 more
OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot
2

OK, I found it. There was no error on the boot SSD. "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required."

I tried once again detaching all HDDs and boot from the SSD, somehow it took 56 seconds, shorter than before.

However, when I attached one of the HDDs together with the boot SSD and left all others still detached, the boot time exceeded two minutes.

I am now doing CHKDSK on this HDD (it's a 3TB Toshiba) and see what is wrong with it that's causing the problem.

Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,882
Re: Slow boot

teddyboy wrote:

OK, I found it. There was no error on the boot SSD. "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required."

I tried once again detaching all HDDs and boot from the SSD, somehow it took 56 seconds, shorter than before.

However, when I attached one of the HDDs together with the boot SSD and left all others still detached, the boot time exceeded two minutes.

I am now doing CHKDSK on this HDD (it's a 3TB Toshiba) and see what is wrong with it that's causing the problem.

Cool. And then Defrag the hard drive if you can fix all the errors (if any). Keep us updated.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Fujifilm XP80 Canon EOS 500D +1 more
S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,147
Re: Slow boot
1

teddyboy wrote:

OK, I found it.

However, when I attached one of the HDDs together with the boot SSD and left all others still detached, the boot time exceeded two minutes.

I am now doing CHKDSK on this HDD (it's a 3TB Toshiba) and see what is wrong with it that's causing the problem.

Hmm. I had a similar issue on a mobo I used to use which had a Marvell controller in addition to the Intel SATA controller. When I disabled the Marvell controller in BIOS and deleted it from the device list the boot time went back to normal; just disabling it in BIOS was not good enough.

-- hide signature --

Shane

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot

I disabled Marvel in BIOS but cannot find it in Device Manager. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I only have Standard SATA AHCI Controller, and under Storage Controllers I only have Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller. Is it somewhere else?

OP teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Slow boot

CHKDSK did not find any problems with the 3TB drive. I defragmented it anyways but did not see any improvement on boot time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads