How to get images out of Lumix G9?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
alanvee Regular Member • Posts: 388
How to get images out of Lumix G9?

Seems pretty trivial - but so far I can find no way to get the images out of the camera and into Lightroom!

The "Tether" Utility won't connect - I tried plugging the USB-3 cable from camera to computer - nothing!  I've been doing digital cams (Nikon) since 2003 and NONE have been this obscure.  I'm sure there must be something easy I'm missing - even tried a card-reader and that   I'm obviously new to G9 - so what is the 'trick' to get pix out of the cam?   

-- hide signature --

Who was Ansel Adams' Ansel Adams?

ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gnine Senior Member • Posts: 2,349
Re: How to get images out of Lumix G9?

It's not the cameras fault. It's been a while since I've used Lightroom, bit it should be as simple as navigating to the SD card in the left hand panel (I think), choosing an import path, and clicking the import button.

JSB Regular Member • Posts: 341

On the G9's menu system, go to the "Wrench" icon and then select USB Mode (my camera's wrench menu shows USB Mode on page 3 of 5).  Make sure PC(Storage) is selected.  That should let your computer see your camera as a storage device when it is connected via USB and it will assign a unique drive letter to the camera.  Navigate to that drive letter on your computer and you should see folders and files that are saved to the memory card.  From there, you should be able to find the image files and copy them to wherever you want them.

alanvee wrote:

Seems pretty trivial - but so far I can find no way to get the images out of the camera and into Lightroom!

The "Tether" Utility won't connect - I tried plugging the USB-3 cable from camera to computer - nothing! I've been doing digital cams (Nikon) since 2003 and NONE have been this obscure. I'm sure there must be something easy I'm missing - even tried a card-reader and that I'm obviously new to G9 - so what is the 'trick' to get pix out of the cam?

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,853

I always put my SD card into a card reader, then transfer the images to a folder on my computer, then import from there to LR.

What version/type of LR are you using?  Standalone or the newer subscription model?  The only standalone version of LR that can work with the G9's raw files is the very last one, v. 6.14 (this update was released just as the G9 came out, and it is what I use).  I don't know whether an earlier version of LR would fail to import G9 raw files or appear to fail to import them.  But you definitely need v. 6.14 or the subscription version to be able to edit G9 raw files in LR.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
OP alanvee Regular Member • Posts: 388

Ah - that should do it. I thought that feature was part of the Teather app. 🤪

-- hide signature --

I’m using LRc which I thing is version 9.3

-- hide signature --

outlierrn Regular Member • Posts: 203

brentbrent wrote:

I always put my SD card into a card reader, then transfer the images to a folder on my computer, then import from there to LR.

What version/type of LR are you using? Standalone or the newer subscription model? The only standalone version of LR that can work with the G9's raw files is the very last one, v. 6.14 (this update was released just as the G9 came out, and it is what I use). I don't know whether an earlier version of LR would fail to import G9 raw files or appear to fail to import them. But you definitely need v. 6.14 or the subscription version to be able to edit G9 raw files in LR.

Just curious.  Why the extra step?  I import to LR directly from the SD card and have it make a copy in source files as it goes.

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,853

It's just the way I've always done it, even before I started shooting raw and using LR. I organize my images into folders by year, with subfolders within each year for each "shoot," like "Zoo" or "Lucy's Birthday Party." Using Windows' File Explorer lets me create the new subfolder to which I transfer the new images from the SD card, then I import them into LR from within LR.

Perhaps LR offers the ability to import and simultaneously create that new subfolder, I don't know. But the way I've always done it works fine and easily enough for me, and I don't have to figure out how to do the same thing from within LR. I usually wait a while to delete the images from my SD card, so this method lets me easily copy just the files I want, by date, to the new subfolder.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
jonno35 Contributing Member • Posts: 731

FWIW, I use the SD card slot on my laptop then copy and paste to my folder of choice, then open them with my editor of choice.  What I do make sure I do is, as soon as I have copied the files from my S D card I eject it, I don't hang about. Some years back my laptop deleted every photo on my S D card for some reason,at the same time it deleted all the imported ones as well. I hadn't done anything other than copy and paste.  So now I'm very careful. I found the imported ones in the recycle bin?.

jonno35's gear list:jonno35's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II +3 more
Gnine Senior Member • Posts: 2,349

brentbrent wrote:

What version/type of LR are you using? Standalone or the newer subscription model? The only standalone version of LR that can work with the G9's raw files is the very last one, v. 6.14 (this update was released just as the G9 came out, and it is what I use). I don't know whether an earlier version of LR would fail to import G9 raw files or appear to fail to import them. But you definitely need v. 6.14 or the subscription version to be able to edit G9 raw files in LR.

Yeah, that's what I do too. Named by date, & with a prefix to indicate which camera I shot them with, especially if I shot with 2 different cameras on the same day. I hate the way LR tries to dominate your whole photo storage system. I'll make the decision on what gets access to what -not LR or Adobe

The prob has been solved - just my "newbie-ness"!  I just found the setting where you enable the USB to be used for image transfer...  once you RTFM - things begin to work! 

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads