Photography Color Gamut

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,001
Other reviews differ......

Kaj E wrote:

Petruska wrote:

They go for about $120, some less, some more. It must Be the "Photo" model to calibrate your monitor and generate custom printer ICC profiles.

I believe that the "Photo" model can be used with the latest Xrite Studio software.

Bob P.

If you want to accurately calibrate your monitor stay away from Color Munki Photo. It is not very accurate.

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardware.htmlhttps://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardware.html

You get what you pay for.

So who is right?

Our local star reviewer Keith Cooper reviewed it and said it was fine.

Many posters on this forum use the Colormunki photo system and are happy!  That's all that counts.  It does generate very good printer ICC profiles, as compared to the very expensive ($1K+) I1PRO spectros

I like the Dry Creek review, sadly I had 5 or 6 Xrite DTP94 units that seem to be very good colorimeters from the review, they are limited to calibrating sRGB monitors.  They came with the DTP20 spectro  Pulse Color Elite profiling kits.  I kept the DTP20's and discarded DTP94s as I thought everyone was buying wide gamut AdobeRGB monitors.  I also have 2, I1Display Pro colorimeters, and 3 Xrite I1PRO sprectros. I really don't see any differences with what my monitor displays using either the colorimeter or spectro.

Bob P.

Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,858
Re: Other reviews differ......

Petruska wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

Petruska wrote:

They go for about $120, some less, some more. It must Be the "Photo" model to calibrate your monitor and generate custom printer ICC profiles.

I believe that the "Photo" model can be used with the latest Xrite Studio software.

Bob P.

If you want to accurately calibrate your monitor stay away from Color Munki Photo. It is not very accurate.

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardware.htmlhttps://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardware.html

You get what you pay for.

So who is right?

Our local star reviewer Keith Cooper reviewed it and said it was fine.

Many posters on this forum use the Colormunki photo system and are happy! That's all that counts. It does generate very good printer ICC profiles, as compared to the very expensive ($1K+) I1PRO spectros

I like the Dry Creek review, sadly I had 5 or 6 Xrite DTP94 units that seem to be very good colorimeters from the review, they are limited to calibrating sRGB monitors. They came with the DTP20 spectro Pulse Color Elite profiling kits. I kept the DTP20's and discarded DTP94s as I thought everyone was buying wide gamut AdobeRGB monitors. I also have 2, I1Display Pro colorimeters, and 3 Xrite I1PRO sprectros. I really don't see any differences with what my monitor displays using either the colorimeter or spectro.

Bob P.

For display calibration I would stay with a colorimeter every time. Spectrophotometers are mainly for printer calibration. If one does not like the canned profiles from reputable printer and/or paper manufacturers and want to save money one could try a commercial printer/paper calibrator.

I also have ditched my DTP-94 which I used to use with ColorEyes Display  (now discontinued).

Now my display calibrator of choice is the i1Display Pro (very good value).

I would like to se Keith Cooper's (or any other new reputable sites tests of the i1Diplay Pro vs. ColorMunki Photo for display calibration, with deltaE(2000) values against a true reference).

PS I notice I copied the link twice in my previous post. Here it is corrected; https://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardware.html

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,793
Google and communication

Google aRGB, see what you come up with.

That may be. There is all sorts of specialized terminology and communication, and the real question is whether a particular usage is sufficiently clear and effective when communicating with the expected / intended audience. IMOPO, in the DPR Printers and Printing forum, ARGB is clearly enough understood to mean Adobe RGB (1998).

People can call whatever they want how they want.

Personally I usually use "Adobe RGB". But, as you say, whatever.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Fotocorn
OP Fotocorn Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Photography Color Gamut

Thanks but what is the difference please?

We live and learn!!

Fotocorn's gear list:Fotocorn's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Fotocorn
Re: What two different things?

Hi Saggittarius,

Thanks but that article is way over my head.

I guess it will have to stay there and I will change aRGB to Adobe RGB in future!!

Thanks.

Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Fotocorn
Re: This went cheap a few days ago......

The add carries the dreaded words  "does not ship to South Africa"

Fotocorn wrote:

The add carries the dreaded words "does not ship to South Africa"

Do you have any relatives or friends in the US, or other countries, that can buy it off Ebay for you and then have them ship it to you?

Bob P.

Fotocorn

Thanks everyone for their contribution.

I am an 80 year-old Civil Engineer who lives in Cape Town South Africa.

I am reasonably fit and love taking photographs and printing them.

I take reasonably good photographs, but have no ambitions to win any prizes, my best images are framed and end up on my study walls.

I appreciate all the expertise but I really only want to do photography, the optical science is probably beyond me and is not the reason I have a camera and and a printer.

The Rand/pound/dollar rate is awful, which makes nearly everything imported expensive. Most times the freight forms a major part of the purchase. It can take up to three months to get delivery from abroad if the local postal service is used. Door to door courier costs a fortune.

I am trying to improve the correlation between my edited screen output and my printed output.

I think need an instrument that can produce ICC files that will help me sort this out. The simpler it is to use the better, I don't want to waste my limited resources on inferior equipment that does not deliver an acceptable result. On the other hand this is a hobby that I enjoy but I don't want it to break the bank.

Is there a product out there that can meet my requirements. So far an XRite ColorMunki seems the best choice.

Fotocorn

Hi Petruska,

Unfortunately not in the States, may be Canada.

Freight is the difficulty, I would rather try and buy a used version in South Africa.

The last time I got someone to buy for me from B&H, they  were sold a Nikon Tele-converter TC -14EII, which unfortunately does not fit Nikon Zoom lenses instead of the TC-14EIII, which does.

Thanks for the help.

Fotocorn wrote:

Thanks everyone for their contribution.

I am an 80 year-old Civil Engineer who lives in Cape Town South Africa.

I am reasonably fit and love taking photographs and printing them.

I take reasonably good photographs, but have no ambitions to win any prizes, my best images are framed and end up on my study walls.

I appreciate all the expertise but I really only want to do photography, the optical science is probably beyond me and is not the reason I have a camera and and a printer.

The Rand/pound/dollar rate is awful, which makes nearly everything imported expensive. Most times the freight forms a major part of the purchase. It can take up to three months to get delivery from abroad if the local postal service is used. Door to door courier costs a fortune.

I am trying to improve the correlation between my edited screen output and my printed output.

I think need an instrument that can produce ICC files that will help me sort this out. The simpler it is to use the better, I don't want to waste my limited resources on inferior equipment that does not deliver an acceptable result. On the other hand this is a hobby that I enjoy but I don't want it to break the bank.

Is there a product out there that can meet my requirements. So far an XRite ColorMunki seems the best choice.

Have you used Cone Color PRO ink custom ICC profiles for your R3000 and Epson papers from Cone?

https://shop.inkjetmall.com/color-icc-profiles#

They will help you greatly.

You may find that your monitor may have a better match to print with those ICC profiles.

Also experiment with a Reference photo, not one of your own, it removes a lot of variables. Print it without any editing, but use the Cone ICC profiles, It should look great, if not let us know.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html

I have a Epson R3000, and I have generated custom ICC profiles for the Cone Color PRO inks. What papers are you using?

Bob P.

Fotocorn

Hi BobP

Thanks again.

I only use A4 ( which I sometimes split to A5 :

Epson Glossy Photo Paper.... for run of the mill

Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper......for my better quality

Epson Premium Semigloss   S041332.....for a different finish and B & W.

I would like to use Epson Lustre for B&W,  I don't seem able to source it here.

Fotocorn

Hi Bob P,

Thank you for directing me to the"printinginsights" site. It is one of the most informative sites on printing I have ever had the pleasure of reading. His explanation of how to use the various sub-images is great.

It should be compulsory reading for any photographer who has aspirations of printing their own images.

Marrutt have a standard file which you can download. The send you a certified print against which you can compare the output of their print file from your computer.

Only problem is that although I can see the problems, I have no idea of how to correct them.

Did you develop your own ICC profiles for the cone ink and R3000?

I am about to try and download the Cone Color ICC profiles and try the printing insights image.

Thanks again.

Nigel C.

Fotocorn wrote:

Hi Bob P,

Thank you for directing me to the"printinginsights" site. It is one of the most informative sites on printing I have ever had the pleasure of reading. His explanation of how to use the various sub-images is great.

It should be compulsory reading for any photographer who has aspirations of printing their own images.

Marrutt have a standard file which you can download. The send you a certified print against which you can compare the output of their print file from your computer.

Only problem is that although I can see the problems, I have no idea of how to correct them.

Did you develop your own ICC profiles for the cone ink and R3000?

I am about to try and download the Cone Color ICC profiles and try the printing insights image.

Thanks again.

Nigel C.

Yes do download the Insights Photo at the bottom of the page is the download button. Around this forum we call this Reference Test print the "Outback" test print. Many of us are very familiar with it.

Also download the appropriate Cone ColorPRO Epson R3000 ICC profiles.

Load that test image into your editor app, DO NOT EDIT IT IN ANYWAY EVEN IT LOOKs WRONG ON YOUR MONITOR. just print as it. Remember to set your editing app (Elements) to - Elements Manages colors, not to - Allow Printer to Manage colors

I assume that you do know how to print with ICC profiles properly and that you need to turn off color management in the Epson R3000 printer driver to do so?

This will help...……..

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/how-to-use-icc-color-profiles-photoshop-elements-11-12-windows.html

Yes I did generate my own Epson R3000 Cone ColorPRO ICC profiles. Unfortunately they are not for Epson papers but the Glossy one I have should work well for Epson paper. Try the Cone ICC profiles first, let us know how the reference test print comes out and if need I'll email you my custom profiles.

Good luck!

Bob P.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads