What creates the high contrast in these images?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
whosthatwhatsthat Forum Member • Posts: 84
What creates the high contrast in these images?

Hello everyone,

I've been loving the work of Steve Hiett here are a few of the images I found of him behind the scenes and the resulting images.

What are the lights he's using on that rig? Looks like two strobes with norman beauty dish reflectors? also what on earth is that rig called?

These low res BTS images it looks as if he is using a ring flash? if so what ring flash? and why on a campaign of the same shoot has he swapped lighting setup???

I've also attached two other images of his work - the one in the phone box appears to have the reflection of the same lighting setup.

Do you think the image of the lady with the handbag is the same lighting setup?

Would these come out the camera looking close to this and then he's just upped the saturation and contrast?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,620
Re: What creates the high contrast in these images?

You need the added light. Try high speed sync flash if you have a flash that can do it.

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 17,846
Re: What creates the high contrast in these images?

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've been loving the work of Steve Hiett here are a few of the images I found of him behind the scenes and the resulting images.

What are the lights he's using on that rig? Looks like two strobes with norman beauty dish reflectors? also what on earth is that rig called?

These low res BTS images it looks as if he is using a ring flash? if so what ring flash? and why on a campaign of the same shoot has he swapped lighting setup???

I've also attached two other images of his work - the one in the phone box appears to have the reflection of the same lighting setup.

Do you think the image of the lady with the handbag is the same lighting setup?

Would these come out the camera looking close to this and then he's just upped the saturation and contrast?

Possibly but very unlikely. Having spent so much effort on lighting, composition ant taking the shots it's far more likely that as much attention has been paid to processing.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads