A Little Frustrated

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
fafitz Contributing Member • Posts: 561
A Little Frustrated

I have occasionally mentioned problems with my Tamron lenses but from time to time I go try them again because I like the image quality compared to all my other choices.  So I am in another one of those cycles.  This time it is the 18-270 again.  Took a couple of shots of our hummers this morning with that lens and was again quite happy with the IQ.

For me, these are pretty good.  However, about 1 time out of every 5 or so presses on the shutter button, I get the no lens attached error message.  It seems to be random, sometimes a couple of errors in a row, sometimes all is well for3 to 10 shots.  This makes the lens not really usable but I continue to like the results when it works.  My firmware versions on the V1 are:

A  1.30

B  1.30

L  1.00

S  -.--

If anyone has any suggestions to help overcome this, I would greatly appreciate a hint.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Frank - WSSA Member #453
D300; N1 V1;

fafitz's gear list:fafitz's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +6 more
OP fafitz Contributing Member • Posts: 561
Re: A Little Frustrated

Oh, the sort of cure for the error message is to turn power off and back on again.  Sometimes also reseating the lens while power is off.  I have cleaned the contacts several times with DeoxIT.  Usually off and back on works until it happens again.

-- hide signature --

Frank - WSSA Member #453
D300; N1 V1;

Nikon D1 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +6 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,525

This is a longshot but I have an old Tamron SP 24-135 screw drive type lens that I got years ago that I used with my D50. I had a second D50 body at the time and when mounted on it would often display FEE on the top screen which was the code for he aperture ring not being locked at minimum even though it was. I would have to slightly rotate/jiggle the lens or unlock and relock the lens to get it to work on that body. I surmised that the tolerances of that particular lens and body combo were at the ragged edge of proper alignment as in the body contacts were slightly rotated in one direction and the lens contacts slightly the other such that they lost contact. Maybe something like that is happening with your copy of the lens and your FT-1. Just a thought. I can see why it is upsetting as the results when it works are very good. As for the firmware, all 4 of my V1s have firmware 1.40 for A & B. Firmware L is for the FT-1 and mine is 1.20 and my old Tamron functions normally albeit manual focus only. It allows view magnification and shows the in/out of focus arrows in the EVF.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more

Thank you, Paul.  Your response gives me some more things to try.  I really do like the results.  Easiest, I think, will be to deal with the firmware first.

-- hide signature --

Frank - WSSA Member #453
D300; N1 V1;

Paul Pasco

fafitz wrote:

Thank you, Paul. Your response gives me some more things to try. I really do like the results. Easiest, I think, will be to deal with the firmware first.

I would research the firmware issue before updating. Tamron lenses have been known to work on one version and then quit working on others.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,635

sometimes tamrons that worked with the original ft1 firmware stopped working with the 1.2 version - and the converse is also true.

It’s just worth being aware of that - in case you didn’t already know.

good luck sorting you problem out

richard

Paul Pasco wrote:

fafitz wrote:

Thank you, Paul. Your response gives me some more things to try. I really do like the results. Easiest, I think, will be to deal with the firmware first.

I would research the firmware issue before updating. Tamron lenses have been known to work on one version and then quit working on others.

sorry Paul - I didn’t see this post of yours when I made a similar comment

richard

Thank you both for the warning.  I figured that since I already had the problem at 1.2, it was worth trying 1.4 so I upgraded last night.  First try, I got a "call Nikon" error message, but ok after I cleared it.  The problem is so random that I wont really know anything until I spend some reasonable time testing.  Today's project.

-- hide signature --

Frank - WSSA Member #453
D300; N1 V1;

Re: Problem Accommodated

Well, I obviously hesitate to say problem solved but the lens now seems usable.  I believe the problem was dimensional/mechanical; the lens contacts were marginally engaging the FT1 contacts but not quite correctly enough to assure reliable contact.  Measuring compared to a Nikon lens was inconclusive so I reverted to just trying things.  Backing off clockwise after normal installation (slighty) made things worse.  Then I discovered that if I attached the lens normally and then depressed the locking tab on the FT1 while rotating the lens further counterclockwise, it would go very slightly past the lock position until some other surface stopped the rotation.  In this position the lens is working normally.  I like my V1, a lot, and am thrilled that my lens system for it is extended.

-- hide signature --

Frank - WSSA Member #453
D300; N1 V1;

That sounds like a useful trick if we get similar probs.

Glad you have found a solution

Paul Pasco

fafitz wrote:

Well, I obviously hesitate to say problem solved but the lens now seems usable. I believe the problem was dimensional/mechanical; the lens contacts were marginally engaging the FT1 contacts but not quite correctly enough to assure reliable contact. Measuring compared to a Nikon lens was inconclusive so I reverted to just trying things. Backing off clockwise after normal installation (slighty) made things worse. Then I discovered that if I attached the lens normally and then depressed the locking tab on the FT1 while rotating the lens further counterclockwise, it would go very slightly past the lock position until some other surface stopped the rotation. In this position the lens is working normally. I like my V1, a lot, and am thrilled that my lens system for it is extended.

Just like the Tamron lens/D50 scenario I had! Out of curiosity, had you upgraded the firmware?

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,929

fafitz wrote:

I have occasionally mentioned problems with my Tamron lenses but from time to time I go try them again because I like the image quality compared to all my other choices. So I am in another one of those cycles. This time it is the 18-270 again. Took a couple of shots of our hummers this morning with that lens and was again quite happy with the IQ...

For me, these are pretty good. However, about 1 time out of every 5 or so presses on the shutter button, I get the no lens attached error message. It seems to be random, sometimes a couple of errors in a row, sometimes all is well for3 to 10 shots. This makes the lens not really usable but I continue to like the results when it works. My firmware versions on the V1 are:

A 1.30

B 1.30

L 1.00

S -.--

If anyone has any suggestions to help overcome this, I would greatly appreciate a hint.

I hear you, Frank!  My Tamron lenses are like that, too, and I've come to accept that that's just the way it is.  Unfortunately, installing firmware upgrades make the problem worse -- e.g. AF might not work when it did before, so likely the only solution is to try a new FT1 (if possible now!) and see whether or not any backward compatibility still exists.  If it works, don't upgrade that FT1!

To me, it's just not worth the hassle or expense.  Use manual mode and hopefully that'll be enough to make the camera work.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more

Paul, I had upgraded the firmware earlier.  The V1 and FT1 are now at 1.4, 1.4, 1.2.

-- hide signature --

Frank - WSSA Member #453
D300; N1 V1;

Makes sense to just go to manual except for my own character quirks   I am no longer particularly good at managing the camera manually.  I seem to have lost most of that skill shortly after I stopped using my old FE2.  It may also be that I get some sort of strange satisfaction from worrying a problem to death (another grin).

-- hide signature --

Frank - WSSA Member #453
D300; N1 V1;

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads