How much focal length does the FTZ adapter add on the Z50?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
steras Senior Member • Posts: 1,183
Gravity doesn’t exist in outer space?

David Lumsden wrote:

Gravity does not exist in outer space...

What is keeping the planets in orbit then?

steras's gear list:steras's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2H Nikon D5300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +10 more
David Lumsden
David Lumsden Senior Member • Posts: 1,183
Re: Gravity doesn’t exist in outer space?

Steras, meet Jester. I’m going kayaking.

David Lumsden's gear list:David Lumsden's gear list
Olympus Air Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +7 more
FKS
FKS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,163
Re: How much focal length does the FTZ adapter add on the Z50?

Science!

David Lumsden wrote:

Gravity does not exist in outer space

FKS's gear list:FKS's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon Z7 Nikon D5200 +30 more
David Lumsden

FKS,

I was referring to the second definition of gravity in the OED: “Extreme or alarming importance; seriousness”. Seems like we’ve got plenty of that floating around here.

Olympus Air Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +7 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,043

David Lumsden wrote:

Nope. A DX lens on a DX camera is still “upgraded” 1.5 X.

There is no upgrade. The image is simply cropped by the smaller sensor.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
David Lumsden

j_photo wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

Thus the “quotes”. Please consult any decent English usage text for references on the various employments of quotation marks.

I may be wrong, but I think the OP merely wanted to know if the image will be “bigger”, i.e. “closer”, with an FX lens mounted on a DX camera. And if that is his concern, I’m just trying to cut through all the pseudo-academic clutter and tell him that, “YES, IT WILL”.

PS Just shot this guy from the deck of my condo. Gosh, he looks so close!

American bald eagle. Or, for the sticklers among us: Haliaeetus leucocephalus.

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,793

What’s that halo around the bird?  Bad post processing.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 +34 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,793

David Lumsden wrote:

FKS,

I was referring to the second definition of gravity in the OED: “Extreme or alarming importance; seriousness”. Seems like we’ve got plenty of that floating around here.

No you weren’t.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 +34 more
David Lumsden

michaeladawson wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

FKS,

No you weren’t.

Michael,

Looks like we have yet another symptom of the virus: the loss of the sense of humor. Maybe a little more social distancing would help.

David Lumsden wrote:

j_photo wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think the OP merely wanted to know if the image will be “bigger”, i.e. “closer”, with an FX lens mounted on a DX camera. And if that is his concern, I’m just trying to cut through all the pseudo-academic clutter and tell him that, “YES, IT WILL”.

The OP wanted to know how the FTZ adapter affects equivalent focal length. The answer is that it doesn't. Sorry if that sounds like pseudo-academic to you.

David Lumsden

j_photo wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

j_photo wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

The OP wanted to know how the FTZ adapter affects equivalent focal length. The answer is that it doesn't. Sorry if that sounds like pseudo-academic to you.

You are correct. I had forgotten that the original poster was asking about the FTZ. The question I was referring to was the one introduced by jestertheclown, as reproduced below:

“Would I not be right in saying that an 18-140 is a DX lens?

And therefore on a Z50, which is technically a mirrorless DX body, it will always be an 18-140?”

I interpreted that question to mean that jester was asking whether the use of that lens on that body would remain an 18 - 140 lens, or would it function as if it were the “equivalent” of a 27–210 lens. I attempted to answer that question, as I understood it, with a screenshot that illustrated that my DX 50 - 250 lens, on my DX FZ 50,  recorded an image with a focal length of 72 mm which corresponded to the “focal length in 35 mm film” of 108 mm. That comparison and language is quoted from PhotoMeta app. The screenshot is posted earlier in this thread if you would care to examine it.

If that question was indeed Jester’s concern, then I hope I have helped to answer it for him. If it was not, I apologize to Jester for misunderstanding him, and to myself for continuing to participate in this wearying discussion.

David Lumsden wrote:

j_photo wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

j_photo wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

You are correct. I had forgotten that the original poster was asking about the FTZ. The question I was referring to was the one introduced by jestertheclown, as reproduced below:

“Would I not be right in saying that an 18-140 is a DX lens?

And therefore on a Z50, which is technically a mirrorless DX body, it will always be an 18-140?”

I interpreted that question to mean that jester was asking whether the use of that lens on that body would remain an 18 - 140 lens, or would it function as if it were the “equivalent” of a 27–210 lens. I attempted to answer that question, as I understood it, with a screenshot that illustrated that my DX 50 - 250 lens, on my DX FZ 50, recorded an image with a focal length of 72 mm which corresponded to the “focal length in 35 mm film” of 108 mm. That comparison and language is quoted from PhotoMeta app. The screenshot is posted earlier in this thread if you would care to examine it.

If that question was indeed Jester’s concern, then I hope I have helped to answer it for him. If it was not, I apologize to Jester for misunderstanding him, and to myself for continuing to participate in this wearying discussion.

I don't understand what you are saying, but I agree this has become wearying. Have a great day.

David Lumsden

I agree with your agreeing. Ciao to all.

JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 4,976

David Lumsden wrote:

j_photo wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

Thus the “quotes”. Please consult any decent English usage text for references on the various employments of quotation marks.

Except he was asking about a DX F-mount lens (the 18-140mm) mounted on a DX Z50 via a FTZ and asking if the extra thickness of the FTZ changes the actual focal length of the lens. The answer is it doesn't (all the extra thickness does is adjust the focal flange distance to the correct location).

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-dx-nikkor-18-140mm-f%252f3.5-5.6g-ed-vr.html

By bringing up the 27-210mm (which by the way the correct terminology is the "35mm equivalent focal length", not the "actual focal length") all you did was confuse him.

When you are using only a single format there is zero reason to refer to the 35mm equivalent focal length.

For example, people using DX pretty much knows what 18-55mm is and I have never seen people need to refer to that as a 27-83mm equivalent lens. Nor does Nikon do that on their website.

They only do that for their point and shoots.

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +6 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,649

David Lumsden wrote:

Gravity does not exist in outer space,

As others have clarified - this is untrue.

I’m just trying to answer Jester’s initial question with the information that I think he is seeking.

Unfortunately whoever wrote the link "got it wrong" and perhaps you also "got it wrong" by not realising some of the information in the link is wrong.

Anybody can put anything they like on the web. Because of this some of the information on the web is neither accurate or true.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +28 more
David Lumsden

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

I’m just trying to answer Jester’s initial question with the information that I think he is seeking.

Unfortunately whoever wrote the link "got it wrong" and perhaps you also "got it wrong" by not realising some of the information in the link is wrong.

Anybody can put anything they like on the web. Because of this some of the information on the web is neither accurate or true.

Yeah. I read that on the web.

bluzman
bluzman Contributing Member • Posts: 874

David Lumsden wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

David Lumsden wrote:

Yeah. I read that on the web.

Nicely played

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon D750 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 +16 more
David Lumsden

Merci, bluzman. Photography and I IV V changes are what are getting me through the era of Covid.

BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,514

David Lumsden wrote:

HeavyDuty wrote:

shaffermc wrote:

I'm using a Nikon 18-140mm lens on my Z50. What is the equivalent focal length with the FTZ adapter?

18-140. It doesn’t change focal length.

The FTC does not change focal length, but don’t forget that the camera will. On a DX camera, the actual focal length of your lens will be 27–210mm, making for an unusual, if not unique, lens.

The lenses shown on his gear list are DX and the Z50 is a DX camera.  He shouldn't notice any difference.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Zero

MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7500 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads