Ricoh GW-3 and GW-4

Started Aug 23, 2020 | Discussions
rc53 Contributing Member • Posts: 607
Ricoh GW-3 and GW-4

These are both wide-angle adaptors. But what is the difference between them? Can either be used on a GR3 for example? Or the original GR? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Sláinte
Robert

telemach Contributing Member • Posts: 685
Re: Ricoh GW-3 and GW-4

rc53 wrote:

These are both wide-angle adaptors. But what is the difference between them? Can either be used on a GR3 for example? Or the original GR? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance!

use search, this topic was mentioned few times

fotopan Junior Member • Posts: 38

Use search and you will  find examples of both GW-3 and GW-4 used with GR III. What you will find is that GW-3 can be used on GR III although image quality will not be as good as with GW-4.

What is interesting - and I don't think anybody has written anything on the subject - is if Snap Focus will function properly on GR III when used with GW-3 instead of GW-4.

On GR/GR II there is a Conversion Lens option in settings and it's value (which has to be set manually on GR/GR II) changes the Snap Focus distances of the camera so they are OK with the lens used (if the option is set to Off and GW-3 is used the Snap Focus distances are way off).

I don't know if there is any option like that on GR III and if it is set automatically (by GA-1 adapter when used with GW-4) or if it can be set manually. Even if it can be set somehow to tell the GR III that wide conversion lens is used when GW-3 is mounted to the GA-1, it remains to be seen if the Snap Focus programmed within camera to work with GW-4 will work OK with GW-3.

fotopan's gear list:fotopan's gear list
Ricoh GR II Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 II HD Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited HD Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,300

fotopan wrote:

Use search and you will find examples of both GW-3 and GW-4 used with GR III. What you will find is that GW-3 can be used on GR III although image quality will not be as good as with GW-4.

Yes

What is interesting - and I don't think anybody has written anything on the subject - is if Snap Focus will function properly on GR III when used with GW-3 instead of GW-4.

The GW-3 does not activate the switch on the GA-1 and i can confirm the snap distance DOF is shown wrong on the GRIII with GW-3 (it doesnt change from having no lens adapter at all)

When you use the GW-4 on the GRIII the 49mm thread on the GW-4 is deeper so it activates the switch and tells the camera you are shooting with a wide angle GW-4. You can clearly see the DOF scale increases as you would expect and also shows you a wide symbol on the display.

On GR/GR II there is a Conversion Lens option in settings and it's value (which has to be set manually on GR/GR II) changes the Snap Focus distances of the camera so they are OK with the lens used (if the option is set to Off and GW-3 is used the Snap Focus distances are way off).

I don't know if there is any option like that on GR III and if it is set automatically (by GA-1 adapter when used with GW-4) or if it can be set manually. Even if it can be set somehow to tell the GR III that wide conversion lens is used when GW-3 is mounted to the GA-1, it remains to be seen if the Snap Focus programmed within camera to work with GW-4 will work OK with GW-3.

Theres no manual way to set wide angle on the GRIII. Although its feasible you could modify the switch in the GA-1 so it activates with the GW-3. However this would also activate with any filter attached so isnt recommended.

For info i still have the GW-3 and GW-4 (although dont use the GW-3 anymore). hope that helps.

maltmoose's gear list:maltmoose's gear list
Ricoh GR III
OP rc53 Contributing Member • Posts: 607

Thanks all for the thoughts and comments. I do find what Ricoh gets up to very confusing at times. I shall try one of these wide-angle adaptors and see how I get on.

I gather they can be used on the Leica Q2 so I'll try that as well; I'm not expecting anything much from the combination, the Q2 is full-frame after all, but it will be interesting.

-- hide signature --

Sláinte
Robert

What would be interesting is whether Snap Focus distances - 1m, 1.5m, 2m etc. - are accurately set by GR III with GW-3 when one manages to trick GR III to know the wide angle converter is attached somehow.

On GR II it can be seen that when you use Snap Focus set to one of the closer distances and change the Conversion Lens option then the camera actually moves it's lens a bit to compensate the converter in use. If you don't set the option to Wide when using GW-3 and try to use Snap Focus set to 1m or 2m, the actual focus is much closer.

I suppose the amount of lens movement to compensate the converter in use is hardcoded into camera firmware and there is a chance that the compensation is different between GW-3 and GW-4. And if it is different (I don't know that), then the conclusion would be that GR III can be used with GW-3 albeit with image quality loss and with exception of Snap Focus.

It doesn't matter if one never uses Snap Focus with a wide angle converter. I use Snap Focus a lot (most of the time in fact) so when I finally get GR III I might be forced to get GW-4 with it despite having GW-3 already.

Ricoh GR II Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 II HD Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited HD Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more

rc53 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know whether there are optical differences between the two converters?

TIA!

-- hide signature --

Sláinte
Robert

fotopan wrote:

What would be interesting is whether Snap Focus distances - 1m, 1.5m, 2m etc. - are accurately set by GR III with GW-3 when one manages to trick GR III to know the wide angle converter is attached somehow.

On GR II it can be seen that when you use Snap Focus set to one of the closer distances and change the Conversion Lens option then the camera actually moves it's lens a bit to compensate the converter in use. If you don't set the option to Wide when using GW-3 and try to use Snap Focus set to 1m or 2m, the actual focus is much closer.

I suppose the amount of lens movement to compensate the converter in use is hardcoded into camera firmware and there is a chance that the compensation is different between GW-3 and GW-4. And if it is different (I don't know that), then the conclusion would be that GR III can be used with GW-3 albeit with image quality loss and with exception of Snap Focus.

It doesn't matter if one never uses Snap Focus with a wide angle converter. I use Snap Focus a lot (most of the time in fact) so when I finally get GR III I might be forced to get GW-4 with it despite having GW-3 already.

I suspect all the GRIII does is base all its snap and DOF calculations on 14mm instead of 18mm. It may take into account the additional length of the adaptor and lens but the difference between the GW-3 and GW-4 would be so minimal to not be important.

Ricoh GR III

rc53 wrote:

rc53 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know whether there are optical differences between the two converters?

TIA!

yes there are, i covered this a little bit previously if you search for it.

Ricoh GR III

maltmoose wrote:

rc53 wrote:

rc53 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

TIA!

Found your post, thanks. The difference on the GR3 is in the corners which are soft with the GW-3.

I have the original GR which I don't use much — and DD has it at present anyway (though she has problems finding the zoom lever).

The GW adaptors can be mounted on the Leica Q2, though the results are "so-so". I always thought that 28mm (equivalent) was too wide for me, but trying some skyscapes I find it isn't wide enough. I'll get the GW-3 and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

-- hide signature --

Sláinte
Robert

rc53 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

rc53 wrote:

rc53 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

TIA!

Found your post, thanks. The difference on the GR3 is in the corners which are soft with the GW-3.

I have the original GR which I don't use much — and DD has it at present anyway (though she has problems finding the zoom lever).

The GW adaptors can be mounted on the Leica Q2, though the results are "so-so". I always thought that 28mm (equivalent) was too wide for me, but trying some skyscapes I find it isn't wide enough. I'll get the GW-3 and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

The position is more compicated; the GR3 has a different lens to the GR and GR2, so perhaps the GW-4 is better matched to this, and the GW-3 better matched to the GR and GR2.

Ricoh do make things very complicated at times.

-- hide signature --

Sláinte
Robert

rc53 wrote:

rc53 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

rc53 wrote:

rc53 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

TIA!

Thanks for the help!

The position is more compicated; the GR3 has a different lens to the GR and GR2, so perhaps the GW-4 is better matched to this, and the GW-3 better matched to the GR and GR2.

Ricoh do make things very complicated at times.

Yep, gw4 is optimised for griii.

Ricoh GR III

I tried the GW-3 on the Leica Q2.

At f/1.7 the whole image is very soft and unusable.

At f/5.6 and f/11 the image is sharp enough overall. The corners are a bit soft, and there is some comma distortion. There is some cyan drift. Overall, though it's not that bad, even if the converter and the original lens are very obviously mismatched.

I've not been able to try the convertor on the GR; DD had the camera, but the charger has "gone missing", and I'm waiting on a new one. ("Gone missing" is at least better than the way things "spontaneously break" when she has them.)

Thanks all for your help and encouragement!

-- hide signature --

Sláinte
Robert

Another question: I'm supposed to set "wide" in the depths of the menu system when using the GW-3 adaptor.

Apart from changing the focal length in the EXIF, does this setting change anything else?

FWIW, I don't think it does, but I'm just curious.

-- hide signature --

Sláinte
Robert

Yes it does. It changes the way the lens is focused when using Snap Focus. When you set the Snap Focus distance, the lens is moved to a preprogrammed position corresponding to the distance chosen. If the Conversion Lens option is not set properly then when using Snap Focus the lens is moved to a wrong position. It is especially visible when using close Snap Focus distances like 2m and closer.

fotopan wrote:

Yes it does. It changes the way the lens is focused when using Snap Focus. When you set the Snap Focus distance, the lens is moved to a preprogrammed position corresponding to the distance chosen. If the Conversion Lens option is not set properly then when using Snap Focus the lens is moved to a wrong position. It is especially visible when using close Snap Focus distances like 2m and closer.

I see, thanks. I don't use Snap Focus, so I didn't realise.

-- hide signature --

Sláinte
Robert

VSHaverinen
VSHaverinen Junior Member • Posts: 42
Ricoh GW-4 and Pentax PH-RBA72

I do not want to start a new thread for my question, so I am using Robert’s thread.

Everyone knows that the hood of Ricoh GW-4 is rather poor and flimsy dust magnet. The conversion lens has a 72mm thread, so I was wondering if I could replace the original hood with Pentax PH-RBA72. In theory, it should work relatively well since it is designed for Pentax HD DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR that also has 72mm thread. Are there any issues I should know about before buying the hood?

VSHaverinen
Re: Ricoh GW-4 and Pentax PH-RBA72

I just found out that Pentax PH-RBA72 has no threads, so it can not be used with the conversion lens. If anyone can recommend a good alternative to the original hood, I am very interested.

Ned-B
Ned-B Senior Member • Posts: 1,860

Here’s an old IG post of mine from May 2019, but it shows the hood I bought for my GW-4.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxTEWdcgnpI/?igshid=1umlv8xuupsp8

Cheers,

Ned

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
VSHaverinen

Thank you, Ned! That is a very nice setup.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads