Removing noise

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Drake Ranier Regular Member • Posts: 325
Removing noise

What's the prevailing opinion on the best way to remove noise? I hear good things about Topaz Denoise AI, but some say that Lightroom does a good enough job (i have 5.7 and LR classic CC).

Opinions?

tymevest
tymevest Senior Member • Posts: 1,562
Re: Removing noise

Drake Ranier wrote:

What's the prevailing opinion on the best way to remove noise? I hear good things about Topaz Denoise AI, but some say that Lightroom does a good enough job (i have 5.7 and LR classic CC).

Opinions?

I use an older version of Topaz Denoise. I tried the AI and didn't see much benefit. You can download a trial copy for free. Try it out. Sometimes I have to slightly sharpen after using Denoise because many times it softens details a little. One program that they make that I do recommend it the Sharpen AI. The "Sharpen" function is usually the best but it can also correct for focus and blur.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

tymevest's gear list:tymevest's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,093

tymevest wrote:

Drake Ranier wrote:

Opinions?

I use an older version of Topaz Denoise. I tried the AI and didn't see much benefit. You can download a trial copy for free. Try it out. Sometimes I have to slightly sharpen after using Denoise because many times it softens details a little. One program that they make that I do recommend it the Sharpen AI. The "Sharpen" function is usually the best but it can also correct for focus and blur.

I used to use topaz denoise 5 which was quite good but you did need to be selective as to where you applied it in an image. I used to use the focus area selection tool in PS to select the in focus areas, then inverted it so the out of focus areas were selected. I would then apply Denoise to that area only meaning the subject was not softened.

when Denoise AI first arrived I agree, the improvement was minimal. However it has improved lots as time marched on and now I find it excellent as a one click option working a lot faster than the o,d Denoise 5. It seems to sharpen the subject a little too meaning I rarely have to apply any further sharpening.

-- hide signature --
EG
EG Regular Member • Posts: 369

Topaz DeNoise AI 👍🏻

Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,773

Drake Ranier wrote:

Opinions?

It is very camera (sensor) dependent. Try it on your shots.

On the latest Canon 90D, and on the previous 80D, I tend to use Lightroom by itself  up to about ISO 400, For higher ISOs on good shots,  I will generally apply LR noise reduction at levels I would use for 100-400 ISO, and then Topaz Denoise AI on top of that.

I will sometimes use Topaz even on low ISO shots to put extra polish on the sky and larger area smooth backgrounds.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
aanogueira New Member • Posts: 17

Drake Ranier wrote:

Opinions?

I would give DXO Photolab 3 a try. It is excellent!

MuzzaAus Senior Member • Posts: 2,008

Hello Drake,

I have both Lightroom 5.7 and Topaz Denoise AI. I have found Lightroom good for noise removal to about ISO 1000. Topaz Denoise AI is much better at noise removal up to ISO 3200 . I am using the Canon 90D. I am now using Topaz for all noise removal as a plug-in in Lightroom. Topaz seems very good at removing background noise and leaving subject detail untouched.

Cheers

Murray

Spectacled Monarch

Bowers Shrike-Thrush

Pale yellow robin

Grey-Headed teals at Sunrise

Magpie Goose after sunset-light level is very low.

Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

I find Topaz to work well in many situations but there are occasions where it crushes the shadows and smears details there. The new low-light mode does a better job preserving shadow detail though it does add a faint combing artifact (obvious if you tweak clarity/texture in the output TIFF afterwards). In tricky situations you could try denoising multiple layers using the 3 different methods (Denoise, Low-Light AI Clear) in photoshop and masking them out respectively.

DxO Photolab PRIME is great at at removing chroma noise which Lightroom and Topaz struggle with. It does yield some inconsistent results and sometimes adds dark halo artifacts. I generally let it remove chroma noise only and then continue the file on Topaz. The disadvantage is I can't do initial edits (such as chromatic aberration reduction) in Lightroom since PRIME relies on the RAW file.

As for Lightroom, chroma noise is least obvious using the Adobe rather than Camera presets which introduce some streaked "amp noise" at high ISO. The Adobe presets are flatter and tend to keep brighter shadows, but don't do a good job preserving colours in red areas of an image.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
Old Greenlander Veteran Member • Posts: 4,337

I have DeNoise 5 I think

it Works fine

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
40 years of photography and still learning
https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=88256

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +18 more
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,334

I am always amazed that photographers will buy and try software of all sorts of software but fail to look at the software provided free by Canon.  DPP4 does a great job of reducing noise while leaving detail.  Not only that but DPP4 adjusts for the ISO and I find it unnecessary to tinker with any of the noise reduction settings.  The defaults work great.  Certainly DPP4 greatly outperforms Photoshop/Lightroom for noise reduction.

I have always been very cautious about shooting high ISO.  With the 90D and DPP4 software I have finally decided I am comfortable using Auto ISO up to an ISO of 6400.

Jim, aka camperjim
http://www.specialplacesphoto.com

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
tymevest
tymevest Senior Member • Posts: 1,562

I have Topaz Denoise 5. A way to work on photos in Photoshop is to make multiple layers (copies of the original). On the lower layer, run Denoise to eliminate the noise over the entire image. Then go to the top layer and using a soft edged brush, erase into the bottom layer where necessary. You can also fade the eraser if different areas need a different amount of correction.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

tymevest's gear list:tymevest's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Mike-G Junior Member • Posts: 47

Another thumbs-up for Topaz Denoise. It doesn't work miracles, but it does a nice job with standard noise reduction. I've had a couple of photos where I've been left with some ugly spots and no idea how to get rid of them and some soft areas on other photos, but overall Denoise is quick, easy and effective.

OP Drake Ranier Regular Member • Posts: 325

Thanks for all the input and info regarding NR. Between this thread and the research I've been doing, I have to go with Topaz. I'll probably spend some more time playing with the noise settings in LR classic before I commit. I found some tutorials that gave me a better education on LR NR...I'd like to become as proficient as possible with what's there before I move on so that I can benefit as much as possible.

I found this youtube interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZV38QDo388

Drake Ranier wrote:

Thanks for all the input and info regarding NR. Between this thread and the research I've been doing, I have to go with Topaz. I'll probably spend some more time playing with the noise settings in LR classic before I commit. I found some tutorials that gave me a better education on LR NR...I'd like to become as proficient as possible with what's there before I move on so that I can benefit as much as possible.

Topaz is free for a one month trial, so no need to commit too hard.

-- hide signature --
Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,773

Drake Ranier wrote:

Again, be sure to try them in series.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D

Distinctly Average wrote:

Drake Ranier wrote:

True. I'll give it a shot. At present, I'm trialing LR Classic, which I'm finding I'm not impressed with...performance is dismal, even on my high end machines. Once I decide, I'll try Topaz...no point in muddying the waters.

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Drake Ranier wrote:

Again, be sure to try them in series.

Will do. And again, thank to all for the good advice.

Drake Ranier wrote:

Drake Ranier wrote:

True. I'll give it a shot. At present, I'm trialing LR Classic, which I'm finding I'm not impressed with...performance is dismal, even on my high end machines. Once I decide, I'll try Topaz...no point in muddying the waters.

Strange LrC is slow for you as it flies on my machine. Sometimes the reason it is slow is due to the library. I have mine on a dedicated NVME M.2 drive. My setup is quite modest being a Ryzen 3700, X570, 32gb and RTX2060.

-- hide signature --

Drake Ranier wrote:

Drake Ranier wrote:

Strange LrC is slow for you as it flies on my machine. Sometimes the reason it is slow is due to the library. I have mine on a dedicated NVME M.2 drive. My setup is quite modest being a Ryzen 3700, X570, 32gb and RTX2060.

I ordered and am awaiting a 1TB SSD to dedicate to my catalogs. The system I installed to is i5-8600K, 32GB RAM and an R390 display card, surpassing system reqs.I do use 3 monitors, stretching LR across two, but I would expect better performance.

I'm on the trial at present and will soon enter the 14 day return period. I want to like it, but the performance issues make it tough.

It's good to hear that it works with your system. I didn't uninstall LR 5.7 or PS C6, so maybe that's the issue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads